IGNORED

2012 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro Am Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Heh, Kostis just said that you could make the case that Tony Romo is the 2nd-best player in that foursome today. Romo's got serious game.

If I'm counting right, he's got 3 birdies to Tiger's 2.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The time is here to accept the fact that Tiger is no longer the player he once was. Brilliant golfer, probably the best ever, but his best days are well behind him.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

The time is here to accept the fact that Tiger is no longer the player he once was. Brilliant golfer, probably the best ever, but his best days are well behind him.

I don't think anyone would say his best days are ahead of him, but "best days behind him" doesn't mean he can't win five more majors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="The_Pharaoh" url="/t/55577/2012-at-t-pebble-beach-national-pro-am-discussion-thread/126#post_679160"] The time is here to accept the fact that Tiger is no longer the player he once was. Brilliant golfer, probably the best ever, but his best days are well behind him. [/QUOTE] I don't think anyone would say his best days are ahead of him, but "best days behind him" doesn't mean he can't win five more majors.

Right. In his best days, he won five majors in six tries. He just needs to get back to his average days, when he only won one or two a year.

Agreed. Maybe he won't win US Opens by 15 shots anymore, but if he keeps progressing he can still break Jack's record. Still a lot of talent - and wins - in that body.

We've just gotten so used to him...winning. This is gonna take him some time, and his game is tracking positively. He will win again. Majors.

Ooof. I've seen a lot of amateurs literally stamping over the holes on the course when "finishing" up their putt. Phil is beating Tiger by 10 shots. Tiger's game surely goes up and down. As Erik mentioned somewhere, his game gets worse the farther you get into the tournament. Maybe it's last round nerves, fatigue, not trusting his swing, not having implemented the swing completely. He's got some work to do in any case towards Augusta. And Charlie hits it inside three feet on 17. Man, give Charlie a couple of those short ones he's missed and take away a couple of those long ones Phil made today. Then again, Charlie has made his share of long putts this week

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by brocks

Right. In his best days, he won five majors in six tries. He just needs to get back to his average days, when he only won one or two a year.

I think 5 majors is beyond the man for the simple reason it is going to be harder for him to win on his average days. He could win 1 or 2 more majors during the rest of his career though.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Phil is beating Tiger by 10 shots. Tiger's game surely goes up and down. As Erik mentioned somewhere, his game gets worse the farther you get into the tournament. Maybe it's last round nerves, fatigue, not trusting his swing, not having implemented the swing completely. He's got some work to do in any case towards Augusta.

I notice Tiger is hitting a lot of approaches, even wedges, way long on Sunday afternoons. That might indicate he hasn't gotten used to the adrenaline rush of being in contention again. He used to be the best in the world at controlling that.

• Administrator

I think 5 majors is beyond the man for the simple reason it is going to be harder for him to win on his average days. He could win 1 or 2 more majors during the rest of his career though.

I'm sure you can find places to make that bet in Europe, and people glad to take your money in a few years when he wins more than "1 or 2".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Zeph

And Charlie hits it inside three feet on 17. Man, give Charlie a couple of those short ones he's missed and take away a couple of those long ones Phil made today. Then again, Charlie has made his share of long putts this week

Once he settled down he played some really good golf. Shame he got off to such a bad start.

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm sure you can find places to make that bet in Europe, and people glad to take your money in a few years when he wins more than "1 or 2".

I already have a bet on that he will get to 19 Majors. I put it on when he only had 9, but still only stand to win €1,000. I need to check out the odds for him NOT making it....

Well, even before, he "only" won 30% of the time, so he had plenty of off weeks. I agree we won't see his 2000 game again, but if he can get his 2009 game back, that's all he needs to win any time he has a good week. The only guy I've seen that could give him trouble when he's playing well is Rory at his best, but so far, Rory hasn't been at his best very often.

There is no way to predict what the future holds for Tiger. The only thing we have is past performance. Based on that, I wouldn't bet against him getting 5 more Majors.

Guys, it's just my opinion. I am not a Tiger hater. I've been saying he won't get to 19 Majors since 2008 when his leg gave way. It's now 2012 and he's still stuck on 14. Every year it gets harder for him to win as he ages and the number of players capable of winning Majors grows.

Great win for Phil.  Phil is going to be tough this year if he can stay in the form he showed today.

Tiger was just plain ugly today.  I almost feel bad for Tiger because he has every shot in the bag, he just has some kind of mental block that is holding him back.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Great win for Phil.  Phil is going to be tough this year if he can stay in the form he showed today.

LOL, Phil's been on tour for 20 years, and he's always looked unbeatable one week, and clueless the next. Part of his charm. But I have to say, in 20 years of being a Phil Phan, I've never seen a better round from him.

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!