IGNORED

Shoes on tour...?

Fender
Note: This thread is 4450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fender

Quote:

Who says traditional looking golf shoes are uncomfortable?  I think they're quite comfortable and better in wet conditions.  These guys are not running on the golf course and they are not jumping (except for Sergio maybe...).  Why does it make any sense to wear athletic type shoes playing golf when a player has to wear slacks and a polo?  traditional oxford looking shoes look way better.

Not everyone's feet fit well into traditional oxford looking shoes. Me being a good example. I have a very narrow heel and only the athletic looking shoes fit me right.

I wouldn't choose to wear jeans on a golf course because it's typically too warm to wear them, but I can appreciate your point.  I remember back 20 years ago when I went shopping for my first golf trip to Myrtle Beach thinking how out of touch golf clothing and shoes were.  The golf shoes back then reminded me of shoes I had to wear to Catholic grammar school.  At least today, thanks to Puma and others there are some more fashionable choices for clothing and shoes for the younger generations.

Golf has some tough decisions to make because all this talk about increasing family participation by creating 12 hole courses, increasing hole size to 8" - 15", etc will also require reviewing the dress codes. Kids today don't typically walk around in golf shorts and collared polo shirts on in the summer.

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

Kind of agree.  I am amused that faded shorts or pants and collared shirts will be allowed on a course but my top end denim which costs more than most golf pants/shorts, fits well, and looks nice, is banned.  If shorts are allowed, why not jeans?  I'd rather see jeans than the average person's legs.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger's shoes look ridiculous.  He should at least wear black ones.   If you needed a reason to root against him, his shoes are enough...

I like Freddy's.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

Quote:

I have no problem with Ian Poulter and the way he dresses.  Most of the time he is wearing oxford style shoes that are coordinated with his outfit.  He makes it work.  He actually takes time to make his outfit look good.  Now....  Tiger and Freddy's shoes don't look like they fit.  Tiger and Freddy always dress up nice but these shoes don't match the outfit.  Would you wear tennis shoes with a suit?  I don't think so.  If you're wearing nice slacks and a polo, the skateboarding shoes don't go along.  If you're going to wear those shoes why don't you wear some cargo khakis and a baggy tee shirt...  Just saying...

Last time I checked, golf is a sport, right?  Why would you wear oxford/dress style shoes to play a sport rather than athletic style shoes or shoes built for the golf swing (like Ryan Moore's).  Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like and you want to wear them then go ahead but to say that Tiger, Moore, and Freddy shouldn't be allowed to wear the shoes they do because you think they don't look good is kind of dumb.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem with Ian Poulter and the way he dresses.  Most of the time he is wearing oxford style shoes that are coordinated with his outfit.  He makes it work.  He actually takes time to make his outfit look good.  Now....  Tiger and Freddy's shoes don't look like they fit.  Tiger and Freddy always dress up nice but these shoes don't match the outfit.  Would you wear tennis shoes with a suit?  I don't think so.  If you're wearing nice slacks and a polo, the skateboarding shoes don't go along.  If you're going to wear those shoes why don't you wear some cargo khakis and a baggy tee shirt...  Just saying...

Last time I checked, golf is a sport, right?  Why would you wear oxford/dress style shoes to play a sport rather than athletic style shoes or shoes built for the golf swing (like Ryan Moore's).  Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like and you want to wear them then go ahead but to say that Tiger, Moore, and Freddy shouldn't be allowed to wear the shoes they do because you think they don't look good is kind of dumb.

Based on this thread, I suspect many people have never worn a well fitting quality pair of traditional golf shoes or even dress shoes for that matter. Maybe someone unfortunate enough to never find the right shoes would think they're ill suited for playing golf and walking, but to state it like a fact is strange. They've been making golf shoes for a long time and have the process down to a science. If people need a super wide toe box or have specific foot problems that prevent them from wearing normal golf shoes, it's understandable they'd have another opinion. But it's a biased opinion. Golf shoes actually made for walking (my Callaways lacking an achilles cutout notwithstanding) and the motions and forces taking place during a golf swing.

Yes, golf is a sport, and experience tells me the best shoe for hitting golf shots out on the course and walking carrying a golf bag over varied terrain is a traditional golf shoe. For me, not every one, but for me. Not just any golf shoe though either - there are certainly poor ones for my feet out there - but why everyone jumping on the "crosstrainers look great so regular golf shoes don't work any more" bandwagon is beyond me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Based on this thread, I suspect many people have never worn a well fitting quality pair of traditional golf shoes or even dress shoes for that matter. Maybe someone unfortunate enough to never find the right shoes would think they're ill suited for playing golf and walking, but to state it like a fact is strange. They've been making golf shoes for a long time and have the process down to a science. If people need a super wide toe box or have specific foot problems that prevent them from wearing normal golf shoes, it's understandable they'd have another opinion. But it's a biased opinion. Golf shoes actually made for walking (my Callaways lacking an achilles cutout notwithstanding) and the motions and forces taking place during a golf swing.

Yes, golf is a sport, and experience tells me the best shoe for hitting golf shots out on the course and walking carrying a golf bag over varied terrain is a traditional golf shoe. For me, not every one, but for me. Not just any golf shoe though either - there are certainly poor ones for my feet out there - but why everyone jumping on the "crosstrainers look great so regular golf shoes don't work any more" bandwagon is beyond me.

I don't think anyone here is saying that traditional golf shoes are not suited for golf.  We are simply saying that they are not the only acceptable option.  Some folks--myself included--simply cannot walk six miles in a rigid soled shoe anymore without suffering from crippling pain.

I still have my FJ Classics Tours (cordovan pebble grain bluchers), but I only wear them when I know I'll be riding in a cart.  I've had them for nine years, and they're beautiful, functional shoes.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Quote:

I don't think anyone here is saying that traditional golf shoes are not suited for golf.  We are simply saying that they are not the only acceptable option.  Some folks--myself included--simply cannot walk six miles in a rigid soled shoe anymore without suffering from crippling pain.

I still have my FJ Classics Tours (cordovan pebble grain bluchers), but I only wear them when I know I'll be riding in a cart.  I've had them for nine years, and they're beautiful, functional shoes.

Apparently you did not read the post to which I was responding?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I really dig the Kikkos.I was just chattin with the online rep and he said if u turn ur buddies on to their shoe.U can become some kind of ambassador.Ur buddies use ur discount code and u earn Kikko comission bucks towards other items.Pretty cool

WITB:

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #3 Hybrid

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #4 Hybrid

Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 5-PW

Cally Jaws X Series Wedges 50,54,58*

Ping I Series Putter 34"

Taylormade Penta Ball and TP Black LDP

Rain Gear and a bunch of other crap

i think saddle style oxford golf shoes like the classic footjoys are for people who want to look like douchenozzles.  those shoes, paired with some nice mid calf tube socks, and some mid thigh nut hugging pleated khaki shorts, make for a great look.

i for one will be wearing tigers shoes, in black, or white without the toe cap, as soon as they come out.

Colin P.

oh, and about the plantar fasciitis, i had to get some professional othodic (sp?) insoles made to support my high arches.

what happens is that the bottom of the foot slams down when you step, and the tendons get overly stretched out.  the insoles prevent the arch from collapsing and the tendons from over stretching.

Colin P.

+1.  We want to think of ourselves as athletes yet we wear wingtips to the playing field.  Never understood that and I am just as guilty as most.  Too bad our market is so small that we can't get as much technical research as runners do.

Originally Posted by colin007

i think saddle style oxford golf shoes like the classic footjoys are for people who want to look like douchenozzles.  those shoes, paired with some nice mid calf tube socks, and some mid thigh nut hugging pleated khaki shorts, make for a great look.

i for one will be wearing tigers shoes, in black, or white without the toe cap, as soon as they come out.

Tube socks? Really?

Hey, I ain't no Fashionista, but even I know ankle socks are a must. Anything higher than that looks dorky as hell.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Tube socks? Really?

Hey, I ain't no Fashionista, but even I know ankle socks are a must. Anything higher than that looks dorky as hell.

lols...i was being very sarcastic.  im picturing the fat middle aged guy in shorts that are too short, with socks pulled up, and his 20 year old saddle style footjoys.

Colin P.

To be clear, I don't think Tigers shoes look ridiculous because his shoes are athletic.  I think they look ridiculous because he wears what amounts to white tennis shoes with black dress pants.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I love my Crocs golf shoes!!!!!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by mlf16507

I love my Crocs golf shoes!!!!!

I just sicked in my mouth.

• Upvote 1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Fair enough.  I'm not saying that a "traditional" style golf shoe (or dress shoe) can't be comfortable.  I have a some dress shoes that I think are really comfortable... but I wouldn't play golf in them, even if they did have spikes for traction.

Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero

To be clear, I don't think Tigers shoes look ridiculous because his shoes are athletic.  I think they look ridiculous because he wears what amounts to white tennis shoes with black dress pants.

That's fine... I don't think they looked bad, but that's just me.  I just don't like this idea that some have that golf shoes must have this "traditional" look to them.  We should choose our shoes based primarily on their comfort and their ability to meet the needs of our feet for the activity.  Looks should be secondary.  For golf, I think that this means having a shoe that is both comfortable and allows your foot to function naturally; traditional golf shoes don't do that for me, my TRUEs do.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Is it 2012 or 1930?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!