IGNORED

Am I The Only One who Still Uses a 2 Iron????

Titleist695mb
Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a DCI Gold 2-iron in my bag, had it since I was in 10th grade - probably been through 4 shafts and countless grips due to wear and tear, still hits better than any hybrid I've ever tried out.  Big reason I don't like hybrids is the ball gets up too quickly and tends to sky-draw.  Any hole that has trouble left is out of the question with a hybrid off the tee, where with the 2I, I get it out there 220-230 with maybe +-20 yards lateral deviation.

I used to have a 2i and I kind of miss it.  Not because I was adept at hitting it well.  Rather, because it was longer and I didn't care if the head got scratched up so I would use it for fishing balls out of the water or out of other hazards that I hit into with it.  I figured it already cost me a stroke, I wasn't about the suffer the addition indignation of losing a golf ball too.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Yes, I still have and carry a 2 iron.  I actually have 3 sets of irons and in all 3 sets I have through 2 iron and one set I have a 1 iron.  I love long irons and use them frequently.  I also have a 4 hybrid that I use on occasion.  I only carry 2 woods (D and 3) and I only have 1 sand wedge (54 degree, kind of a tweener loft).  I play a low trajectory overall and like workability.  I play an old set of forged Golden Ram frequency matched muscle back blades.  The 2 iron head is about the size of a teaspoon.  It forces me to concentrate and make good contact.  Nothing feels better than nutting a soft cover golf ball with a 2 iron and watching it draw down a fairway and roll like it stole something.  There's something magic about it.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

I don't carry long irons anymore, but in the seventies, I played a Spalding Executive 1-SW eleven iron set.  I wasn't hitting a driver then.  My other clubs were a Walter Hagen three-wood, a "Ginty," and a Ram Zebra mallet putter.  (Soon afterward, I swapped the Spalding sand wedge for--get this!--a Northwestern Series 21.  Oddball wedges have always seemed to find a place in my bag.)

Now I don't carry either long irons or hybrids.  I carry higher lofted fairway woods.

It's obviously all a matter of what gear works best for the individual.

Taylormade RocketBallz.....13° tour spoon;  Ping G15.....17° fairway wood;  Callaway RAZR X Blk.....24° fairway wood;

Epon AF-901....19° driving iron;  Wishon 870Ti....5-8 irons (1° weak), 9-iron (2° weak); Nakashima SuperSpin.....52, 58, 64° wedges;

Lovett Tour Standard.....sand iron; Louisville HB.....putter.

Here are some of the long irons I currently own:

MacGreggor VIP 1 iron

Ping Eye 2 1 iron and 2 iron (have whole set through sw)

Golden Ram 2 iron (have whole set through pw)

Ram FX Pro set 2 iron (have whole set through sw)

Spalding Executive 2 iron (have matching sw)

I use the old Mac VIP 1 iron for range practice to work on tempo.  If you don't swing it slow and smooth, forgeddabouddit.

I never play with the Pings anymore.  Perhaps I should.

My usual playing set is the Golden Rams, in the winter I sometimes play the Ram FX pro set.

The Spalding Executive 2 iron stayed in my bag for years with whatever else I was playing.  It feels better than any long iron I've ever hit.  Wish I had the rest of the set.

I need to post pictures.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

My parents came out to visit this past week, and my dad and I played on Friday afternoon.  He never brings his clubs out, as I have a few extra sets in my garage.  He decided to use my old set of Zings which has a 2i.

We were laughing because he tried to hit it on one of the short par 4's off the tee.  And hit it thin and said he couldn't feel his hands afterward.

I no longer carry anything more than a 4i... The hybrids are much easier for me to hit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was watching Big Break Mesquite and Gerry (Former Senior Long Drive Champ) used a 2i on the show which made me think of this thread.  He hit some great shots about 260+ yards with it.  He was much better with the 2i than he was with his woods.

Joe Paradiso

• 2 years later...
I just dropped the 2 iron 2 weeks ago and love this hybrid so much. That I'm about to drop the 3 iron for a hybrid as well. My stinger used to be my go to shot but it just became less reliable over time

I started playing at age 40 and gave up my long irons (1,2,3) about 10 years ago (I was 52).  At one point I could nail the 2i fairly well but it got to where it and the other long irons were useless.  Starting last year I gave up my mid-irons (4,5,6) for hybrids, so I now carry 2h - 6h.  I can hit my 2h (Nike Sumo) farther than I could my 2i 20 years ago and I have my distances back through the 6h - golf is fun again.

It takes an exceptional swing to hit a good 2i so keep enjoying it, but for me I have 3 of them collecting dust in my basement.  The advances in the hybrids have been a game saver for me.

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!