IGNORED

Am I The Only One who Still Uses a 2 Iron????

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

with all the technology that has been introduced to golf in the last few years i feel i am behind... the only woods i have are my driver and 3 wood. and my trusty 2 iron that i LOVE. often get questioned as to why i still use it and have it in my bag. everyone says i should carry a hybrid now...? but my 2 iron is my safe club that i can trust off the tee and getting out of trouble when i block a drive into the woods... now for me golf is all about feel and its what i feel most comfortable with so not looking for support on the topic more or less asking if any of you still use the 2 iron? and if you have switched away from it why you switched and what the difference is? ive hit hybrids before and like them but never took one out on the course to see how it preforms under pressure haha interested to see what you guys say on this subject?

Well, we've basically covered this in the other thread...but....  I stopped carrying a 2-iron about two years ago.  I had one with my set that I traded in about six months ago.  I tried a few hybrids and didn't look back.  At one point I was only carrying a 3-wood, 16* hybrid, and a 2-iron, but the hybrid and the 2-iron both flew low, and I wanted a long iron option that I could elevate.  Now I carry a driver, 13.5* 3-wood (which I can hit low from the turf), 18* hybrid (which I can hit mid or high trajectory), and a 3-iron (which I can hit mid to low trajectory).  Gives me a good balance.

You're not the only one still carrying a 2-iron, but the numbers on your side are dwindling.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hardly any makers still offer 2 irons. One set was actually made fun of in Golf Digest's hot list this year for offering a 2 iron, and this was in the player's iron category.

Few players can hit a 3 iron much farther than their 4, and get better gapping with hybrids. Using a 2 iron off the deck and stopping it on the green with a full shot is unheard of these days; it's either a punch out club or used off a tee for a very low shot.

IMO, the low trajectory shot is a bit of a lost art, especially with the modern ball and courses. The main reason these days to sport a 2i is to hit a low shot, something hard to do with woods and hybrids. The equipment is designed for forgiveness now, especially getting the ball in the air.

haha that is kind of funny about the golf digest story. didnt know that! i guess for me its that i like the ability to hit multiple types of shots with my 2 iron. i tend to hit the ball pretty high as it is probably because i release a bit soon haha but thats a different topic for a different thread.. may have to think about this hybrid thing... maybe try a friends and play a round with one and see how it feels. thanks for the info on distances too

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

I used a 1 Iron for a while but sold it to young up and coming kid for $5 lol

hey thats a win for both of you. you made 5 bucks and if that kid learns how to hit that 1 iron he will become a good golfer haha! love the username too man, Vardon was a pioneer

The club I mentioned was the Cleveland 588 CB. It's an 18* 2 iron, which isn't too low for a good hitter to use; it just won't go as high as a hybrid no matter what you do...

I still have one that I use very rarely because my ball flight with it is rather low so it doesn't work well when I'm hitting into a green. It's fine off the tee but I have a hybrid that gives me the same distance with a much higher ball flight. It was said in the other thread some people still play a 2 iron because it fits their game and others play hybrids because it fits their game... it's golf you hit the club that gives you the most confidence.

I've kept a 2 iron in the bag since my set of Hogans came with one back in the early 80's. I spent a lot of time working on how to hit it- low stinger types off the deck and off the tee with a draw or fade. I learned how to work it around obstacles with draws and fades as well, both high and low. My friends and I got to talking about our favorite/best clubs. I had chosen my 3W because I could usually hit it further and straighter than their drives so I stayed in play more often. A buddy said it should be the 2 Iron- he's seen me hit it in almost every conceivable situation and rarely mess it up. After thinking about it for a second, I had to agree. Into the wind I can keep it screaming fairly low and get a lot more roll out than trying to blast a driver or 3W without it ballooning or spraying around trying to over swing. If it's open in front and about 210 with a headwind, I'll pull the 2 out of the bag instead of the 5Hy. I know it will roll out to about that. The 5H could get there without the wind, but a 3W is too much without choking down or shortening the swing to adjust. The more times you can take a normal swing the better.

I have a 2 iron but only use it when it's really windy - for the low trajectory.  It's really hard to hit it right and I probably only do so 1 out of 50 tries (or less) - the rest of the time it just goes a few feet off the ground and rolls a really long way.

I never thought about switching to a hybrid until I tried one an Adams club fitting at one of my tournaments.  I carried this 18* hybrid 260 yards when my 3-iron would play about 230.  My hybrid is ordered and on its way!  I tried out all different types of hybrids after that and Adams still prevailed.  Dead on with a slight draw and incredible workability.

I used to carry a hybrid but took it out of the bag years ago.  Hybrids and fairway woods just make it so much easier than an iron.  Golf is hard enough as is, no sense making it even harder.  I loved my 2-iron (even carried a 1-iron back then) back when I was in my late teens and swung out of my shoes all the time but when I learned to have a more precise, controlled swing I found that with a hybrid or a wood I could dial my swing back just a bit, stay more in control and get better ballflight than I could with a 2-iron.

I carrry a 18* 2i Bridgestone Air Muscle and I love that club. Sometimes I'll put in my niki vr cb 2i into the bag just cuz. I love long irons and think one of the best feelings in golf is a pure long iron.

My old man not only still uses a 2 iron but also uses a 1 iron! The bread knife we call it... he plays Mizuno T-Zoid Pro irons. At the end of the day i think its what your comfortable hitting.

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!