IGNORED

Do you use a rangefinder?

binga7
Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a rangefinder?

• Yes
    • No

It's really just another thing I can't see spending money on. Really, I generally play the same courses. Those courses have markers on most holes and I know them well enough to know where I stand. 

I kind of like playing with people that have em. If they'll play along with me, I'll guess the yardage and they'll scope it and let me know how close I got. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I must be unlucky then, I've played about 8 different courses in the Wpg/Man area and have never had that feature.

My main course I play is pretty ghetto, but i've played at courses that $60 rounds that still never had different coloured flags or pinsheets posted.

I've played a course that used a marker on the flagstick to indicate front, middle & back.  (Below the flag.) High=back, low=front. Maybe not as visible from a distance, but it worked. 

I never knew what they were for until a playing partner told me. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I have a TomTom golfer watch. Don't use it on my own course, but it is a great aid when playing on other courses. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I have both and prefer the rangefinder.  I have a Bushnell V2 and it is great.  Shoot the flag, exact yardage not front or back.  Shoot edge of trap, know carry distance.  Shoot tree before dogleg, know what club to pick.... and the best part of all... know how far the beer girl is!  This is VERY important in the summer when it is sunny and 90+ degrees. :beer:

I bought it a few years ago and it has really helped me judge how far away any target is.  My friend and I usually throw down a guess at how far the pin is, then shoot it and we are usually within a few yards.

I have a pretty good GPS a friend gave me and have tried it out a few times but the yardages were off anywhere from 8 to 15 yards.  I double checked the distances with my rangefinder and man were they off.

It sits on the shelf at home where it belongs.  Plus you have to charge GPS devices... if you forget, no yardages for the day.  I have seen this happen to a lot of people.  The battery in my Rangefinder has lasted over 3 years!  No charging necessary.  This alone, if I had to make a choice, would be why I pick Rangefinder.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I use a free GPS app for my iphone.  It's called FreeCaddie.   I paid a one time fee of I think $4.99 to get the yardages to hazards. 

There is one hole on my home course where it is off by 50 yards for some reason. 

If I was a better player, I might invest in a Bushnell or something.  But usually I'm just trying to hit the green.   Also, most courses I play use different color flags to tell you whether the pin is front, middle, or back. 

The guys I play with are always trying to get an exact yardage when they usually miss the entire green anyway. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

On February 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Goodfella said:

I havent gotten to the point where i feel the need to have either. I do pretty good with course markers. Once I feel more comfortable with my club yardage ill look at getting a range finder. Any suggestions on something that works well but wont break the bank?

I recently picked up a Lofthouse rangefinder for $160 and it works fine for me.  Pretty simple, no slope, 6x magnification; more accurate than I am.

There are other similar brands in the same price range.

John

Definitely a range finder.  Much more reliable and you can aim at any obstacle you want the distance to.

For GPS, it depends on how accurate the input was by the person using the satellite images.  In addition, it doesn't tell you the distance to the flag.  Just to the front/middle/back of the green.  Sure you can estimate and relocate the flag, but even that is subject to your perceived location.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I use a range finder. It's not so much that I can't estimate what my yardages are because I'd say 90% of the time I can guess my distance within a few yards.

I use mine more for practice rounds so I can gauge exactly how far I am hitting each club. My distances usually fluctuate 5-10 yards from week to week or month to month so I feel it's a good tool to keep confidence up when I'm pulling a club from the bag.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

• 1 year later...

I have the Bushnell Tour V3 and love it for its weight and durability. Do carry a spare battery with you. They are not your standard AA or 9V but rather the CR2. You can buy a 6 pack on Amazon dirt cheap and keep the spares in a refrigerator.
I am not sure how soon you need it but it may be worthwhile to get their feedback on the newer model they are testing.

I have a Callaway range finder I bought from a guy on Craigslist for $60.00. It works good enough for me. I have found that I use it more for finding yardages to spots (other than the green) more than the flag.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have one. I use it most every round, but if I play at courses that I've played a million times then I'll have a good ideal of my club selection. At new or un-famliar course it's out on most shots

I use a Garmin GPS. I wish I bought one years ago cause I love it.

Never even thought of it until I owned it but it really helps in avoid lost ball penalties. I often start the measuring function on iffy shots so that I know when Im in the area of my usual distance.

• Like 1

I just use my Game Golf Live to get an idea of the distance. When I'm eventually a lot better I might get a range finder but until then it won't be of much help.

I used a Bushnell, not for every shot, just when I was uncertain about the yardage. Much easier and quicker than searching for markers or stepping off yardages.  When I developed tremors, I had to switch to GPS because I couldn’t hold the rangefinder steady enough to get a read.  The GPS gives an approximate read to the green - good enough for my game - but I find it takes a bit longer.  

I tried GolfLogix, an excellent GPS app, but often as I started a round it would tell me that I wasn’t subscribed, even though I had a recurring subscription.  Their “support center” (automated eMail really) would require me to send a screenshot of my subscription information, then two or three days later they would reactivate it.  Not much help when you are starting a round! Never an apology for the inconvenience.  I’m currently trying out the 18Birdies app. No problems with it ... yet.

I would still be using a rangefinder, if I could.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:28 PM, mrjohnsmitt said:

I have the Bushnell Tour V3 and love it for its weight and durability. Do carry a spare battery with you. They are not your standard AA or 9V but rather the CR2. You can buy a 6 pack on Amazon dirt cheap and keep the spares in a refrigerator.
I am not sure how soon you need it but it may be worthwhile to get their feedback on the newer model they are testing.

This. I have the same one 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm not really a gadget guy. I don't even carry my phone on the course. I still look at sprinkler heads, assess where the flag is, factor in the wind and go. Interestingly, when I check with a playing partner that has a range finder, I'm never more than two or three yards off. However, I do understand why people use them.  

Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!