IGNORED

Annoying Golf Announcers

tjdean

And I never called him a Loser, so stop putting words in my mouth. And Davis Love III and a number of others have won more professional tournaments worldwide than Johnny Miller. Johnny Miller won one more major but he only won like 30 tournaments total...8 of which were in 1 year. I wouldn't even put Johnny Miller in the top 30 all time...maybe even top 40. Are you gonna talk about DLIII in the same sentence as Nicklaus, Palmer and Sarazan? Or what about Vijay Singh? He took down Tiger in his prime! This is just typical shorty...not falling into your trap. Well, I guess I already did. touché!
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

He quit practicing! And because he couldn't compete without practicing, he quit!! He wasn't even that old. The fact that you are even comparing him to those guys is ridiculous!

Well, I suppose if you're going to mock a U.S. Open winner for retiring from the game when he's no longer competitive, you may as well line me up in your sights.

I mentioned the other guys because, amazingly, they retired too. So strange, to stop playing when you feel you are no longer competitive.....better to go and miss 5 cuts in a row and demand invites or take advantage of a lifetime exemption when you're 60.

Why shouldn't he have retired? Why should he be subjected to criticism for doing it?

You can't win with some people. Next thing, someone is being bagged because they can no longer win and are accused of stealing up and comers' spots in tournaments.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well, I suppose if you're going to mock a U.S. Open winner for retiring from the game when he's no longer competitive, you may as well line me up in your sights.

I mentioned the other guys because, amazingly, they retired too. So strange, to stop playing when you feel you are no longer competitive.....better to go and miss 5 cuts in a row and demand invites or take advantage of a lifetime exemption when you're 60.

Why shouldn't he have retired? Why should he be subjected to criticism for doing it?

You can't win with some people. Next thing, someone is being bagged because they can no longer win and are accused of stealing up and comers' spots in tournaments.

I don't even know how to respond to you shorty. It's like you are constantly just trying to push arguments longer and longer just to hear yourself talk. I simply said I didn't like him as an announcer because he is arrogant and talks down to every player... and he wasn't even that good. Okay, I got it he shot 63 in the us open. I don't give a crap. He had a good run in the 70s and a few randoms in the 80s but that's about it. I don't think I'm a minority for not liking Johnny miller. Jesus! you are sticking up for him like I just insulted your dad. Come to think of it, you just may be his son. You are just as obnoxious some times.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

And Johnny miller retired well before 60! He had the yips and couldn't putt for shit. Your response was complete nonsense

And Johnny miller retired well before 60! He had the yips and couldn't putt for shit. Your response was complete nonsense

What does age have to do with it?

He's far from my favourite.

I'm just wondering why he's being criticised for knowing when to retire.

Having the yips is probably a pretty good reason to call it a day. Makes him smart, in my book. Not sure why you are so agitated.

What does age have to do with it?

He's far from my favourite.

I'm just wondering why he's being criticised for knowing when to retire.

Having the yips is probably a pretty good reason to call it a day. Makes him smart, in my book. Not sure why you are so agitated.

I'm agitated because my original post was just saying that I didn't like Johnny miller and didn't think he has had the career to say what he says about players...some of which have had careers that dwarf his....Phil, vijay and so on. Then you started putting words into my mouth. And You said 60!...I didn't say anything about age. I was correcting you. All I am saying if someone has the yips and can't putt for shit they shouldn't be saying that Bryce molder has terrible putting stroke....which he did last week. I'm done. You will never stop...you are worse than my wife.

And You said 60!...I didn't say anything about age. I was correcting you.

How  is that?

I wasn't talking about Miller. I was talking about any player going on and on.the point is, you have to retire at some point, be it 40 or 60 and there's no shame in it unless you're still going on well past your use-by day. Unlike some U.S. Open champions (Michael Campbell?) Miller knew his.  Just don't thuink he should be lampooned.

If we are to pick least favorite current golf announcer, I would pick Mark Rofing. Too bland for my taste. I like ones whoa add some color to their announcing, be it humor like McCord and Feherty, or critical  analysis like Miller &  Faldo. Consider for a moment what golf on TV would be like without any sound. Lets say there were only captions to see who we were watching.

I'd welcome that, I'd love the option to turn off the volume and see graphics with the distance to the flag, and club being used along with an overview of the shot he's facing.  Most golf commentary is filler and doesn't add all that much to the viewing experience.

Originally Posted by Perrydel

If we are to pick least favorite current golf announcer, I would pick Mark Rofing. Too bland for my taste. I like ones whoa add some color to their announcing, be it humor like McCord and Feherty, or critical  analysis like Miller &  Faldo. Consider for a moment what golf on TV would be like without any sound. Lets say there were only captions to see who we were watching.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Golf Channel did that at either a Fall Series or a Nationwide event a few years ago. IIRC, most people didn't like it, and thought the best broadcast would have been somewhere in the middle. Even better would have been good broadcasters, not none. EDIT: Here it is: http://thesandtrap.com/t/40254/announcer-lite-golf-broadcast

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Perrydel

If the information I wanted to see was available on the screen and nobody talked, yeah I'd watch the Heck out of that tournament. No Kostis, no Koch, no McCord, no Baker-Finch, no problem!!!

BTW - I may have mentioned it earlier, but Americans and Europeans have never had the "pleasure" of hearing the Worst Golf Announcers in the History of Televised Sports .

Do any Canadian golf fans recall the 2010 Canadian Open from Calgary (the LPGA event), with Steve Armitage walking the course and Ron McLean in the booth with Judy Rankin? If you didn't catch it, you're very lucky. The coverage was awful from a technical standpoint (not as bad as the 2011 version though) but the commentary was so painful with countless irrelevant comments and awkward puns from Ron McLean and spaced out 2-steps-behind-the-action muttering from a disinterested Steve Armitage. I felt sorry for Judy Rankin.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

How  is that?

I wasn't talking about Miller. I was talking about any player going on and on.the point is, you have to retire at some point, be it 40 or 60 and there's no shame in it unless you're still going on well past your use-by day. Unlike some U.S. Open champions (Michael Campbell?) Miller knew his.  Just don't thuink he should be lampooned.

Michael Campbell??? He had 1 good year in 2005....he was mediocre prior and terrible post. I know he had a bad back but so do a lot of other golfers on the PGA tour. If this is the basis of your arguement, them the entire champions tour should just retire today. So bad example, shorty. Now, We are talking about annoying golf announcers....not every golfer who has had a bad back or retired too soon or too late. If want to start a thread that's purpose is to protect the feelings of Johnny miller and those like him, be my guest. But nobody is getting lampooned. Asfar as this topic goes, I could care less when Johnny miller retired...I still don't think he was good enough when he did play to say the things he says on air. Agree or disagree, I don't care. Im pretty sure I can guess what you will do.

I could care less .......

'nuff said.

Did anybody see Faldo teasing Johnny Miller about poor putting due to being a headcase last night? I thought it was pretty damn funny!

No, but I wish I did. What did he say? And be careful what you say about Johnny miller, shorty will come after you. He's probably tweeting Faldo as we speak. Jk, shorty.

And be careful what you say about Johnny miller, shorty will come after you. He's probably tweeting Faldo as we speak. Jk, shorty.

Already did it. Nick tweeted back "Why are people so unkind, Shorty?" I just said "I don't know, but it's OK, Johnny can look after himself, but I'm there to help out, as always."

What if most people find them funny? I mean they are on TV for a reason, there a whole lot of ex golfers out there, and the networks picked these guys. I used to think that way too, that a lot of the stuff I saw was "stupid" or "cheesy". Then I realized I'm the only one not laughing, so maybe I have the problem.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I wish they would get rid of Johnny Miller.  If by, "calling it as he sees it" you mean that he is rude and talks trash about a shot that someone just made, then I guess he is.  I personally find him arrogant, egotistical and just plain rude.

IMO, they could get rid of Ferhety and McCord too.  Both of them try way too hard to be funny and just come across as idiots.