IGNORED

Annoying Golf Announcers

tjdean

Already did it. Nick tweeted back "Why are people so unkind, Shorty?" I just said "I don't know, but it's OK, Johnny can look after himself, but I'm there to help out, as always."

Ha ha! On another note...dmnoland is gonna get arrested if he keeps taking pics like the one he has as his profile pic. Is that Gulbis? Judging by the short skirt, I'm thinking it is

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

What if most people find them funny? I mean they are on TV for a reason, there a whole lot of ex golfers out there, and the networks picked these guys. I used to think that way too, that a lot of the stuff I saw was "stupid" or "cheesy". Then I realized I'm the only one not laughing, so maybe I have the problem.

I see what you are saying. If they didn't piss people off or say the ridiculous stuff they do, it would be a snooze fest. I spend half the telecast disagreeing with what they say...it's half the experience. I remember when they just did a play by play, I would be sleeping by the turn. And was always pissed because I missed the finish...obviously pre TiVo Funny story about your profile pic. One of my really good friends grew up on crooked stick...lives on 16 I think...very very very wealthy. Anyway, his dad had a big party after the tournament and John daly attended and came with the trophy. Anyway, john got so slammed that he passed out in a lawn chair by the pool holding the wanamaker trophy and his drink...never dropped either. Ha ha!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Ha ha!

On another note...dmnoland is gonna get arrested if he keeps taking pics like the one he has as his profile pic. Is that Gulbis? Judging by the short skirt, I'm thinking it is

Nope, it's Michelle Wie.

David

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

No, but I wish I did. What did he say?

And be careful what you say about Johnny miller, shorty will come after you. He's probably tweeting Faldo as we speak. Jk, shorty.

This was the "State of the Game" program discussing the long putter/anchoring segment. Nicks remark came at the 18:05 mark.
I found the video here:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-friday-february-24-2012-state-of-the-game-tiger-woods/

David

Nope, it's Michelle Wie.

Them are some nice legs!

This was the "State of the Game" program discussing the long putter/anchoring segment. Nicks remark came at the 18:05 mark.
I found the video here:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-friday-february-24-2012-state-of-the-game-tiger-woods/

Thanks...I'll check it out

jhwmusic, if you go back and look through this thread, I think you'll find that you come out looking overly upset by Shorty's fairly innocuous comments about Johnny Miller. Β Miller isn't my favorite announcer by any means (I think Oosterhuis is the best btw) but he did have a good career and does make some insightful remarks occasionally. Β Yes, he can say some inflammatory things, but that's what he gets paid to do. Β And he has toned it down considerably in the past few years. Β As to Shorty going on and on and sounding like your wife, well those are issues you really ought to address with your wife. Shorty has as much right to voice his opinion on this forum as you do. Β Name calling and flaming just make you sound foolish.

McCord. Β Used to be amusing, now he sounds like he's lost his marbles.

Feherty. Over exposure has diluted his effectiveness.

Koch. Sticks to golf but is like a broken record.

Faldo. Enjoys Nance's nose up his butt.

Nance. Has a good voice, but talks about college football way to much. Β Oh, and he has his nose up almost everybody's butt.

Kostis. Pretty decent analyst but is forced to say Minolta Biz Hub Swing Vision Camera too often.

Judy Rankin. Β Good.

Dottie Pepper. Not so good.

Nobilo. Ok but a little boring.

Chamblee. Weird.

Rymer. Awful. Β Just awful!

jhwmusic, if you go back and look through this thread, I think you'll find that you come out looking overly upset by Shorty's fairly innocuous comments about Johnny Miller. Β Miller isn't my favorite announcer by any means (I think Oosterhuis is the best btw) but he did have a good career and does make some insightful remarks occasionally. Β Yes, he can say some inflammatory things, but that's what he gets paid to do. Β And he has toned it down considerably in the past few years. Β As to Shorty going on and on and sounding like your wife, well those are issues you really ought to address with your wife. Shorty has as much right to voice his opinion on this forum as you do. Β Name calling and flaming just make you sound foolish.

McCord. Β Used to be amusing, now he sounds like he's lost his marbles.

Feherty. Over exposure has diluted his effectiveness.

Koch. Sticks to golf but is like a broken record.

Faldo. Enjoys Nance's nose up his butt.

Nance. Has a good voice, but talks about college football way to much. Β Oh, and he has his nose up almost everybody's butt.

Kostis. Pretty decent analyst but is forced to say Minolta Biz Hub Swing Vision Camera too often.

Judy Rankin. Β Good.

Dottie Pepper. Not so good.

Nobilo. Ok but a little boring.

Chamblee. Weird.

Rymer. Awful. Β Just awful!

Thanks for the input, Dad. But me and shorty are fine...if you would have kept reading you would have realized that. But you didn't, you just decided to open your mouth and give me a life lesson. Shorty is a very outspoken member of this forum, if not the most...and he likes to get people fired up and get into it...you will soon realize that. I learned this about Shorty very quickly...and sometimes you just have realize how shorty is and cool down. if you would have read on, you would have seen that we came to a middle ground and the debate ended in jokes and laughs. You have been a member of this forum for like 15 minutes, so I would just hold back before start you giving advice. And did you really tell me I need to have a talk with my wife? cuz I was joking around with Shorty. You need to worry about yourself and don't ever bring up my wife. And by saying something like that you are completely contradicting your little brady bunch lecture you just gave me. And as for your list you just shared, the only person that has a nose up anybody's butt is you...and that butt is your own! And it seems to me you really like what you are smelling up there! Am I entitled to that opinion? Good day! Shorty, though we disagree sometimes...I do enjoy our debates. So no disrespect whatsoever! Though your views sometimes drive me crazy, you definitely keep things entertaining...and you are knowledgable about the game.

Wow, Calm down dude. Β I may only have just come on to this forum recently, but I know a hot head when I see one. Β Notice I did not resort to name calling in my post. Β I obviously saw that you two had a history, but it is clear from your responses that you have a short fuse. Β Shorty's language was much less inflammatory, at least in that thread than yours. Β I wasn't trying to offend you at all, but you seem ready to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation. Β My comment about your wife was also just a joke. Β But, just as it was not clear in your post that you were kidding, it is also clear that you couldn't see that I was only joking as well. Β You don't know me from Adam, but you made a pretty quick rush to judgement about who I am and what I think. Β I hope you're not one of those Forum Lords who thinks that because you have racked up 250 posts in a couple of months here, that your opinion (which you are of course entitled to) is somehow more valid than mine.

Its called Lost in Translation! It is very hard to read people through message boards. And I apologize for making quick judgment...I did it as a result of feeling you were doing the same to me. You picked up on a convo between Shorty and I that has honestly been going on for a while....this is something that happens quite frequently. People read one of 15 pages on a topic and just jump and start judging people. So for my quick judgement, I apologize. It was more of a reaction to someone else who did this to me a a couple days back. if you would read back on all of Shorty's past posts you would realize that he likes to push a lot of buttons...a lot of buttons! And he can be relentless! I didn't feel you had the right to jump in and judge when you obviously didn't read everything bewtween Shorty and myself on this forum. I am in no way dominate on this forum..you will soon realize who those guys are. Shorty pushes buttons to get people fired up...and it works....and trust me, I am not the only one to have fallen into his trap. But at the same time, he does make some really well constructed valid points. I mean look at what I am doing right now...talking about shorty! Damnit, Shorty! Also, I have never resorted to name calling....I'm not sure where you are getting that. You said I sounded like a fool and I just said you liked the smell of your own farts. I was actually trying to be funny about you judging me. And when did I ever say something about my opinion vs yours? I just said don't judge people or lecture people without knowing the whole story and figuring how things work on this site. it's actually much different than most forums. This pretty topic specific and is filled with people who just flat out love golf. You have to leave at that. I am learning that too. .

Fair enough.

I'm not sure I have the time or energy to look back on previous exchanges between the two of you, so I will take your word for it that Shorty can push people's buttons.

I don't claim to be an expert on the game of golf, but after 30 years of playing this crazy game, one thing I have learned is that golfers are some of the most entertaining people on the planet!

It's one of many reasons I love the game.

I look forward to more lively exchanges and will try not to be quick to throw my two cents in unless and until I'm sure I have the background first.

Keep it on the short grass.

Okay...in my original response I said Johnny Miller was by far my least favorite announcer. I am not changing my mind, but I am making a few additions. I'm going to add every announcer who is announcing when "Tiger isn't playing at his best" Because it is absolutely amazing how fast they switch their tone when he is playing well. For example, yesterday Tiger hits a chip and it doesn't go in, but stops 2 feet from the hole...which was a very good short sided chip. Of course Rich Lerner, who I actually like, has to say something like "in years prior that would have went in, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore." He just hit a great shot! If any other golfer would have hit that shot, they would commend him for pulling it off. And this theme is repeated over and over and over. He could miss a putt from 90 feet, and one of these guys would inevitably say "in 2002 that would have went in." Yes, he made a lot of amazing putts and hit a lot of amazing shots but he is still human! There are so many factors that result in made or missed putts. I just wish we had some announcers that could be a little more realistic and not just say what their producers want them to say to create some sort of artificial drama. They do this is so it gives idiots like Charlie Rhymer and Brandel Chamblee something to over analyze on Golf Central. I am dreading when the coverage switches over to NBC...Johnny Miller will be kissing Tiger's ass like no other...and in previous weeks he might as well have said that Tiger should just pack it up and retire. Anyone agree? Feel free to disagree as well.

Oh I just thought of an announcer that bugs me. Β Rich Lerner. Β When he sticks to calling the play, he's alright, but I am very tired of his For The Love of the Game segments and the way he milks personal stories for cheese especially if there is any connection to the military, shamelessly strokes sponsors and tour officials and never misses an opportunity to overdramatize things that aren't that dramatic. Β I know it's TV and a measure of this stuff is necessary, but man does he overdo it. Β And before anyone starts in on me for mentioning the military. Β I support anyone who has the courage to fight for their country, but I don't like how people try to exploit them for ratings.

• 2 years later...
Love a good hate thread. Everyone needs to get off of Feherty's knob, the guy tries harder than David Eckstein. Even his little head tilt intro photo says 'love me.' That said, he's got nothing on McCord. That dude's a world-class 'bag. Gimme Johnnie. Sure he's cocky and arrogant at times, but I'll take genuine anyday.

I like Johnny Miller, but I prefer to listen to Peter Aliss. Gary McCord is pretty good also, as is Jim Nance. Most of the rest are annoying to me. McCord's remark about the greens at Augusta being so slick the club must have used bikini wax on them is an all time Β classic.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
but I prefer to listen to Peter Alliss

To me, Peter Alliss will always be "voice of golf." He's a reminder of a distant time when to call oneself a broadcaster meant a whole lot more than "retired tour player, now on the telly talking about other golfers." An erudite, witty, pleasant man to listen to.

Maybe because it's the least stuffy group, but I think the ESPN broadcast team for golf is the most enjoyable to listen to by a mile. Scott Van Pelt in particular is wonderful. But since they only do 3 tournaments a year, I'd put Terry Gannon and Frank Nobilo as the most enjoyable broadcast pairing of the teams that regularly broadcast tournaments.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

As for annoying announcers, the ones I hate most are ones that want to ascribe character failings and narratives to poor performances / bad outcomes by the players. Basically unfalsifiable statements substituting for analysis and insight. As if had the player had a more resilient makeup or greater desire to win, they'd have had success or executed, ignoring that so much of golf is probabilistic and stochastic, not unlike baseball.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball