Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
brocks

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

321 posts / 17493 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts


Originally Posted by k-troop

Pretty freaking good match so far.  Those shots into 3 were just amazing.  I don't know who to root for--the American, or the likely #1 in the world?  Does Rory take over the #1 spot if he wins?  I'll say this:  if Rory wins and becomes #1, he will have earned it, because Hunter is playing very well and very much in control.




Originally Posted by k-troop

Of course, within minutes of this post he dumps an easy wedge shot into a bunker, leaving a seriously hard up and down.


My favorite shot is still the lateral sand wedge he hit on #5 this morning.

I love seeing that the pros are just as capable as us at hitting horrendous shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by darkhunter139

That guy that keeps yelling is so annoying...



True, but I give him points for "Boom-shakalaka!" in lieu of everyone always yelling "In the hole!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by Montezumasdaddy

With only 4 golfers on the course I think it's ridiculous that we don't get to see every shot hit today.


I couldn't agree more.

Do they interrupt basketball games to show golf highlights? I seriously doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by forza utreg

this feels like the ryder cup



Except Mahan decided to putt from off the green... But it was the match I wanted to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you saw Hunter Mahan crying after the 2010 Ryder Cup, you would not have pictured him closing out the best golfer in the world at the 2012 Match Play, but he beat Rory decisively. Congrats to Hunter for coming back from the depths, and for playing superb golf this week. Still, you get the feeling that Rory was starting to come back. It might have been a different outcome if the final was still 36 holes. I think part of the reason that they changed to 18 was because golf used to be Tiger and everybody else, and nobody watched if Tiger wasn't in the final (I know it shouldn't matter to True Golf Fans, but it does to the vast majority of TV viewers). With the resurgence of European players, and good young Americans like Hunter, DJ, etc., most people now feel that it's possible to have interesting matches even if Tiger isn't involved. Does anybody else think they should go back to a 36-hole final?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by brocks

Well, if you saw Hunter Mahan crying after the 2010 Ryder Cup, you would not have pictured him closing out the best golfer in the world at the 2012 Match Play, but he beat Rory decisively. Congrats to Hunter for coming back from the depths, and for playing superb golf this week.

Still, you get the feeling that Rory was starting to come back. It might have been a different outcome if the final was still 36 holes.

I think part of the reason that they changed to 18 was because golf used to be Tiger and everybody else, and nobody watched if Tiger wasn't in the final (I know it shouldn't matter to True Golf Fans, but it does to the vast majority of TV viewers). With the resurgence of European players, and good young Americans like Hunter, DJ, etc., most people now feel that it's possible to have interesting matches even if Tiger isn't involved.

Does anybody else think they should go back to a 36-hole final?



I think they did it because it's better to watch period you get 8 matches saturday and 4 sunday. I'm guessing Tiger had nothing to do with it since Tiger or any player could reach the championship match. I personally like the new format because I get to watch more matches on the weekend and that's what I want to see different match ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I think they did it because it's better to watch period you get 8 matches saturday and 4 sunday. I'm guessing Tiger had nothing to do with it since Tiger or any player could reach the championship match. I personally like the new format because I get to watch more matches on the weekend and that's what I want to see different match ups.


I think that 36 in a U.S. Amateur or something makes sense, but in a PGA Tour event, just gets to be another long, long day at the end of a long, long week. 18 holes Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 36 on Saturday, 36 on Sunday. Too much golf (not for fans, the players). I think that was part of their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that 36 in a U.S. Amateur or something makes sense, but in a PGA Tour event, just gets to be another long, long day at the end of a long, long week. 18 holes Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 36 on Saturday, 36 on Sunday. Too much golf (not for fans, the players). I think that was part of their decision.

Bah, they're all soft. The PGA Championship used to require several 36-hole days of match play in a row. It's why Hogan never played it after his accident, until after they changed to stroke play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Hunter...well-earned victory.  It was pretty surprising to me given how uncomfortable he appeared to look on the range 3-4 weeks ago while going through some minor swing tweaks.

Brandon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just watching final round for first time.  Somebody needed to kick those idiots who screamed "get in the hole" etc... after almost every tee shot out of there.  SO annoying!  You can tell its the same guys every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's also screamed "Tiger Woods" while Rory was teeing off.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

I'm just watching final round for first time.  Somebody needed to kick those idiots who screamed "get in the hole" etc... after almost every tee shot out of there.  SO annoying!  You can tell its the same guys every time.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...