Sign in to follow this  
scruch

How to carry a Vokey RAW rusty in the Golf Bag?

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

50 posts / 20292 viewsLast Reply

Originally Posted by scruch

but as you said.. for a little more spin everything ! :p

As has been discussed on this site, rust does not increase spin, and if anything reduces spin as the groove edges rust away. Rust is a flaky material - would you sprinkle flakes of talcum powder on your wedge to get it to spin more? Nope. When's the last time you saw a pro using a rusty-faced wedge? Never.

If your wedge is rusting you're ruining it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Fella,

here's how it looks like after the 3rd day of oxidation, now the inside of the raining-eclosure of the bag.. is getting a little red :-p  but as you said.. for a little more spin everything ! :p

You won't get more spin with rust --  with that wedge, you will get less spin. Rust dulls the grooves and fills them -- so if you have moisture on the ground - you will decrease the ability of the grooves to do their job. Rust only provides a rough texture to the rest of the face -- but the effectiveness of that roughness (beside the points above) is offset in that Vokey mills the face so you already have a roughness to the face. Rusting is useless in your situation.

Clean up that wedge - steel wool, or an abrasive eraser found in golf shops, or both, and then silicone spray or baby oil to protect it. Just wipe off before the round.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

You won't get more spin with rust --  with that wedge, you will get less spin. Rust dulls the grooves and fills them -- so if you have moisture on the ground - you will decrease the ability of the grooves to do their job. Rust only provides a rough texture to the rest of the face -- but the effectiveness of that roughness (beside the points above) is offset in that Vokey mills the face so you already have a roughness to the face. Rusting is useless in your situation.

Yeah, and that "roughness" is a flaky material. It'd be like sandpaper where the sand isn't glued to the paper, it's just sitting there. So rust isn't even really "rougher" than flat metal let alone the "textured" faces most wedges have built in these days already (tests I've seen show that surface roughness accounts for less than 1% of the overall spin generated - it's largely marketing and the fact that club manufacturers have to get a flat face somehow, so if they can do so without adding the finer-grained polishing steps and market it as being better when really it's just cost savings, then that's a win-win! ).

Clean up that wedge - steel wool, or an abrasive eraser found in golf shops, or both, and then silicone spray or baby oil to protect it. Just wipe off before the round.

thank you.. I see , yeah it was an experiment... to see how fast they get rusted this kind of lobs.

I love the vokey's wedges , but .. franklin speaking this raw type are a little bit annoying.. if the benefit is only the (nice) darker texture, and the disadvantage is that u need to have extra cure of it with also a strong iron smell inside your bag.. uhm I think this will be my first and also last raw wedge.

Anyway.. what you mean with baby oil? something like the J&J; Baby Oil Shampoo?

thank you.. I see , yeah it was an experiment... to see how fast they get rusted this kind of lobs.

I love the vokey's wedges , but .. franklin speaking this raw type are a little bit annoying.. if the benefit is only the (nice) darker texture, and the disadvantage is that u need to have extra cure of it with also a strong iron smell inside your bag.. uhm I think this will be my first and also last raw wedge.

Anyway.. what you mean with baby oil? something like the J&J; Baby Oil Shampoo?

Smart Move, and iacas is correct. The rust is flaky, and is rubbed off as soon as ball hits wedge - the face of the wedge won't be smooth because of the rusting process, but as discussed, it has little to no effect on spin.

As to care, no, not shampoo, but J&J; Baby Oil. Of course, silicone spray is less messy -- and my preferred method with wedges.

Does WD-40 work?

Smart Move, and iacas is correct. The rust is flaky, and is rubbed off as soon as ball hits wedge - the face of the wedge won't be smooth because of the rusting process, but as discussed, it has little to no effect on spin.

As to care, no, not shampoo, but J&J; Baby Oil. Of course, silicone spray is less messy -- and my preferred method with wedges.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Does WD-40 work?

Don't know. It performs some type of coating function. After viewing numerous posts over the years on this subject, the consensus seems to be food grade silicone spray found at Wal-Mart.

My dad has always used it on his tools to prevent rusting but I wasn't sure there was anything in it that might affect contact with a golf ball.

Don't know. It performs some type of coating function. After viewing numerous posts over the years on this subject, the consensus seems to be food grade silicone spray found at Wal-Mart.

I spray all of my irons and wedges with a bit of WD-40 after Im done cleaning them.  Mizuno actually recommends doing it after every few rounds to prevent rust.  Im actually a bit surprised that no one has had the idea of marketing some kind of club oil.  Considering how expensive gun oil can be, a person could make a small fortune selling the same product in golf shops.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I spray all of my irons and wedges with a bit of WD-40 after Im done cleaning them.  Mizuno actually recommends doing it after every few rounds to prevent rust.  Im actually a bit surprised that no one has had the idea of marketing some kind of club oil.  Considering how expensive gun oil can be, a person could make a small fortune selling the same product in golf shops.

I have some "swing oil" - I keep it in a flask.

Rather than fight the rust, just clean it up and put it on eBay and buy another one with a durable finish.  Fighting the rust kind of defeats the purpose of having that type of finish.  I just wouldn't have the patience to mess with it.

Originally Posted by BugDude

Rather than fight the rust, just clean it up and put it on eBay and buy another one with a durable finish.  Fighting the rust kind of defeats the purpose of having that type of finish.  I just wouldn't have the patience to mess with it.

Or just work on your bunker shots when you wedge gets rusty.  A few sand shots will sandblast the club clean.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Wouldn't having a silicon spray on the face be illegal anyway?

I think you're ok as long as your purpose is to protect the club. This would also mean your actions need to be consistent with that---putting it on just before or during a round would probably be out, and I'm assuming you're using a reasonable quantity of it to provide the protection. I occasionally clean/coat my irons/wedges with WD-40, including a raw-finished wedge, and I don't believe the quantity I leave behind would be significant in terms of performance, even immediately after cleaning.

Originally Posted by BugDude

No shit - what a waste of time and money. Just make a mental note to purchase the chrome / satin finish version next time around.

No shit - what a waste of time and money. Just make a mental note to purchase the chrome / satin finish version next time around.

Thats not exactly helpful for people who like the looks of a raw finish that rusts over time.

Quote:

Thats not exactly helpful for people who like the looks of a raw finish that rusts over time.

It's helpful for people who don't,

If a person likes the look, then why are they cleaning it off and spraying it down with stuff to remove and prevent it from rusting?  Either let her rust or get something that doesn't.  If you don't want your bag to get rust stains on it, throw a sock over your wedge or get a plastic club cover for it.

Note: This thread is 3008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!