IGNORED

gas prices

mtsalmela80
Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

The world is running out of oil? We have barely been pumping oil for 150 years, and we are running out of it already? Spare me the bleeding heart talking points.

Ok, well, if you know anywhere there's vast oil reserves, Exxon and BP would love to hear it.

I'm sure there's plenty of oil in the rock you're living under. I, for one, have to live in this world for another 60 years, while the older generations don't care about leaving me a burnt out husk with no social security.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oil shale.  Est. 800 billion to 1.5 trillion barrels. (about 200 years worth at current demand)

Bakken Fields, North/South Dakota.  Est. 100 billion barrels.

Outer continental shelf.  Est. 90 billion barrels.

Tar sands.  Est. 75 billion barrels.

ANWR.  Est. 10 billion barrels.

We don't have a crude supply problem.  We have a refining problem.

BTW, Exxon and BP do know of these....

And 200 years at current demand is what about 50-75 years once you factor in demand growth? We are not going to run out of oil. We are going to run out of cheap oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Oil shale.  Est. 800 billion to 1.5 trillion barrels. (about 200 years worth at current demand)

Bakken Fields, North/South Dakota.  Est. 100 billion barrels.

Outer continental shelf.  Est. 90 billion barrels.

Tar sands.  Est. 75 billion barrels.

ANWR.  Est. 10 billion barrels.

We don't have a crude supply problem.  We have a refining problem.

BTW, Exxon and BP do know of these....

• Upvote 1

Don't allow yourself to be a pawn for the environmentalists that would like everyone to believe that we will soon run out of oil or that fossil fuels are the cause of global warming (assuming you believe global warming is something to be concerned about and not a normal phenomenon).  Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.  Both the republicans and democrats have their own agendas when it comes to the environment and neither side tells the complete truth.

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Ok, well, if you know anywhere there's vast oil reserves, Exxon and BP would love to hear it.

I'm sure there's plenty of oil in the rock you're living under. I, for one, have to live in this world for another 60 years, while the older generations don't care about leaving me a burnt out husk with no social security.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Is that what Obama told you? LOL. That is the attitude that keeps this nation a slave to overpriced foreign fuel "well its not going to help much, so why do it at all".

Not Obama, just a little thing called common sense.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Don't allow yourself to be a pawn for the environmentalists that would like everyone to believe that we will soon run out of oil or that fossil fuels are the cause of global warming (assuming you believe global warming is something to be concerned about and not a normal phenomenon).

Seriously?  Wow...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Quote:

Don't allow yourself to be a pawn for the environmentalists that would like everyone to believe that we will soon run out of oil or that fossil fuels are the cause of global warming (assuming you believe global warming is something to be concerned about and not a normal phenomenon).

Seriously?  Wow...

Ditto.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Global warming is no problem if you don't need to live with it. If you're 60 years old and will be dead in 20, or if you think Jesus is coming back soon anyway, I can see how it's a laughable concept. I live in reality, and I trust science.

FWIW, Democrats and Republicans are both liars, I admit. But Republicans are bigger, greedier liars.

Edit: Also, I'm not a big environmentalist, but there's too many reasons to move on in terms of energy. Price is a big one, at the moment.

In My Bag:

Global warming is no problem if you don't need to live with it. If you're 60 years old and will be dead in 20, or if you think Jesus is coming back soon anyway, I can see how it's a laughable concept. I live in reality, and I trust science.

FWIW, Democrats and Republicans are both liars, I admit. But Republicans are bigger, greedier liars.

Edit: Also, I'm not a big environmentalist, but there's too many reasons to move on in terms of energy. Price is a big one, at the moment.

After working for the government that is not remotely true it's more about who's agenda it fits not about party. They are both greedy and you can easily spin it for which party is bigger greedier liars but it's not even close to being one party is greedier than the other. Honestly I used to heavily favor one party but after years of working there I don't think highly of either party both are greedy and both have agenda's to benefit themselves. In terms of oil, it's still the cheapest option we have at the moment once hybrid/electric cars start to come down in price more people will buy them. I know there is a savings on gas once you buy a hybrid but the cost up front is what turns people off if they start to compete with regular cars you will see a change.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Why am I not shocked Sean, you seem to know everything about everything or think you do.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Ditto.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Quote:

After working for the government that is not remotely true it's more about who's agenda it fits not about party. They are both greedy and you can easily spin it for which party is bigger greedier liars but it's not even close to being one party is greedier than the other. Honestly I used to heavily favor one party but after years of working there I don't think highly of either party both are greedy and both have agenda's to benefit themselves. In terms of oil, it's still the cheapest option we have at the moment once hybrid/electric cars start to come down in price more people will buy them. I know there is a savings on gas once you buy a hybrid but the cost up front is what turns people off if they start to compete with regular cars you will see a change.

Cars are the problem, not whether or not they're electric, gas, diesel, or even hydrogen. Do you know how they generate electricity. Typically they burn fossil fuels.

Hybrids are not the answer. Current hybrids use just as much fossil fuels, because the hybrid portion just bumps the horsepower. And who's gonna support those huge batteries in 10 years. Where do they go once they're spent. Everything being invented right now just seems to be made so we can continue on the same path and ekes out a little more time from the dwindling supply. Meanwhile time is wasting on finding a way to harness the one energy source that will outlast us all. Nature. Wind, geothermal, tides, and of course that glowing ball of gas 93e6 miles away.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Happily floating between AUD$1.29 - $1.49 for quite some time here in Adelaide. It's different in other states. Makes me sick thinking about the $0.38c per litre tax...

Why am I not shocked Sean, you seem to know everything about everything or think you do.

Quote:

Ditto.

What exactly is your agenda for people not reducing their current level of hydrocarbon consumption? The most inefficient and wasteful use of hydrocarbons is burning them in an engine. That's not opinion. It's science.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Oil is currently cheaper than other sources of energy, but it's a band aid fix. There's also the problem that most of our electricity still comes from fossil fuels, so electric cars are a better option, but still mostly require fossil fuels in the long run. At least a car that can plug in can be powered by nuclear, solar, fusion, etc. It's just that those alternatives aren't widespread yet.

In My Bag:

I took an energy policy class last year taught by a member of the Nobel-prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and I could email people PDFs of relevant articles if them want. I've got some good, level-headed stuff. [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/55957/gas-prices/36#post_685839"] Why am I not shocked Sean, you seem to know everything about everything or think you do.  [/quote] And how are your posts different? You're assuming LuciusWooding is a "pawn" and that he hasn't done his own research. Who is to say he hasn't? [quote name="sean_miller" url="/t/55957/gas-prices/36#post_685844"] What exactly is your agenda for people not reducing their current level of hydrocarbon consumption? The most inefficient and wasteful use of hydrocarbons is burning them in an engine. That's not opinion. It's science. [/quote] Slowly, companies and government organizations called sustainable energy utilities are being created that develop ways for people to actually lessen their energy usage. They actually profit by you saving money and using less energy. Seems like a novel concept and good for everyone, no? You'd think, but the energy companies lobby hard against them, so their adaptation has been slow. There's a similar problem with what's called net metering. If you install your own solar panels or thermo heating, many U.S. states will let you sell excess power back into the grid at a reduced rate. Many states, however, don't allow it, which is a shame. It's been met with heady lobbying by energy companies.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have no agenda, I encourage people to do their own research and come to their own conclusions about what is "science" and what isn't.  I've seen many reports by "scientists" who concluded what those that paid them wanted them to conclude.  Do some reseach on clinical trials for drugs, and tell me about "science".  "Science" can't agree on the cause of global warming, science doesn't agree on a number of things, which means we need to research for ourselves, maintain an open mind,  draw our own conclusions and not just accept what the democrats or republicans tell us is science.

What exactly is your agenda for people not reducing their current level of hydrocarbon consumption? The most inefficient and wasteful use of hydrocarbons is burning them in an engine. That's not opinion. It's science.

Joe Paradiso

See actually we agree, I'm all for harnessing the power from nature (wind, geothermal, tides).  Unfortunately here in the U.S. most are brainwashed to believe hybrids are the answer despite what you already stated, which is fossil fuels are used to generate electricity, there's an environmental issue with disposing of the batteries that no one seems worried about, not to mention their higher cost to purchase over very fuel efficient non-hybrids.

Cars are the problem, not whether or not they're electric, gas, diesel, or even hydrogen. Do you know how they generate electricity. Typically they burn fossil fuels.

Hybrids are not the answer. Current hybrids use just as much fossil fuels, because the hybrid portion just bumps the horsepower. And who's gonna support those huge batteries in 10 years. Where do they go once they're spent. Everything being invented right now just seems to be made so we can continue on the same path and ekes out a little more time from the dwindling supply. Meanwhile time is wasting on finding a way to harness the one energy source that will outlast us all. Nature. Wind, geothermal, tides, and of course that glowing ball of gas 93e6 miles away.

Joe Paradiso

You're right, I was wrong for making the assumption.  The statement about the planet being a "burnt out husk" sounded like rhetoric the environmentalists (democrats) use to further their cause to promote hybrids and electric cars.

Originally Posted by jamo

And how are your posts different? You're assuming LuciusWooding is a "pawn" and that he hasn't done his own research. Who is to say he hasn't?

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!