IGNORED

Hi-Loft fairways or hybrids?

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play the higher lofted fairway woods instead of the hybrids, but the hybrids have certainly taken hold since the original Taylor Made Rescues were introduced.   My set is configured thusly:

Henry-Griffitts 12.5º driver

Henry-Griffitts 18.5, 21.5, 24.5 fairway woods

Miura MC-102 5-PW

Scratch 52-9, 58-4° wedges

NGC Condor dedicated sand iron

Dandy Tour Blade putter

Top Flite Gamer V2 ball

Four woods is obviously old school, and none of my usual playing partners, even the ones my age, go that route.  They all play at least one hybrid.  How about you?

Taylormade RocketBallz.....13° tour spoon;  Ping G15.....17° fairway wood;  Callaway RAZR X Blk.....24° fairway wood;

Epon AF-901....19° driving iron;  Wishon 870Ti....5-8 irons (1° weak), 9-iron (2° weak); Nakashima SuperSpin.....52, 58, 64° wedges;

Lovett Tour Standard.....sand iron; Louisville HB.....putter.

Your selection is remarkably similar to mine (I'm 32 years old for reference).

4W (18deg), 7W (21deg), 9W (24deg)

I recently dropped my 4H for the 9W and I'm quite happy about that.  I only hit my hybrid maybe once per round so I don't really miss it, though that may change.  I just find I'm really accurate and can attack greens with my 7W and 9W.

Brad

Originally Posted by bradsul

Your selection is remarkably similar to mine (I'm 32 years old for reference).

4W (18deg), 7W (21deg), 9W (24deg)

I recently dropped my 4H for the 9W and I'm quite happy about that.  I only hit my hybrid maybe once per round so I don't really miss it, though that may change.  I just find I'm really accurate and can attack greens with my 7W and 9W.

When I was your age, i played  a Spalding Executive eleven iron set (1-SW), a Walter Hagen laminated  3-wood, a Ginty (can't blame you if you don't know what that is), and a Ram Zebra mallet putter.  I'm not saying that that set was smart.  it was actually pretty dumb!

I think we're both on the right track now!

Taylormade RocketBallz.....13° tour spoon;  Ping G15.....17° fairway wood;  Callaway RAZR X Blk.....24° fairway wood;

Epon AF-901....19° driving iron;  Wishon 870Ti....5-8 irons (1° weak), 9-iron (2° weak); Nakashima SuperSpin.....52, 58, 64° wedges;

Lovett Tour Standard.....sand iron; Louisville HB.....putter.

I play Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, no hybrid.  Not a fan of the hybrid, I've tried several and just can't find any I like, I would much rather go with a 7 wood.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I have a 4 & 7 wood. I really feel comfortable with higher lofted fairways. I do have a hybrid, having taken the 4 iron out of the bag, but I switch them out at times. Don't think I'd switch out either my fairways for a hybrid.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I am not a fan of hybrids. I do own one but it still looks brand new since I can't hit the thing.

There is a school of thought (of which I subscribe to) that says iron swings and wood swings are different. Well I can't hit a hybrid with either swing and I'm not going to try and work on a third so I'll stick with my current setup (in my signature).

Outside of my wedges I think that my 9 wood is the most versatile club in my bag. I can have an easy go at it and softly land at 160 or really step on it and get 185. It's also the most accurate FW I've ever owned.

I really wish Ping, Callaway, Titleist, etc would bring back the 9 wood, even the 11 wood. It's possible seeing the resurgence lately of 7 woods.

David

I just fell in love with hybrids. OMG, they are amazing. They don't feel tough to hit off the ground like Fairway woods. If you have a hard time hitting fairway woods off the ground, try out hybrids. I am thinking of going PW - 6/5 irons and the next two with hybrids. I just feel like i can work them better, get better height and not sacrifice distance.. That and i would love them on short par 4's off the tee..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never hit a hybrid but I'm planning on heading to Dick's tomorrow to do so. I'm a huge fan of fairway woods. I can hit my 3w and 5w very well and essentially only hit my 7/9/PW as irons.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

I used a 7w & 9w killerbee that my father law had made up. used them until 3-4 yrs ago. I went out last year with them in my bag for giggles, there was a par 3 on a course I hit often that the 9w work out to be a good option.

My old golf partner had a 11w in his bag! try finding that today!

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Trade-offs involved here.

Higher-lofted FWs have slightly longer shafts, for more distance, and clubface bulge, a horizontal curvature: (

The bulge creates a "gear" effect: hits toward heel spin clockwise back toward center, and hits toward toe spin counterclockwise back toward center. (Assumes right-handed golfer)

Hybrids have shorter shafts, making for "easier" contact, but often have no bulge. Players who have trouble hooking hybrids may do better with Pro or Tour heads with minimal offset; you can order them in R flex.

I had a lot of trouble with hybrids when I first tried them. I have stayed with a 3W and a 19* Raylor (5W). Last year I found Callaway and Adams hybrids which I could hit OK, but just decided to stay with the FWs. (mainly a $$ matter)

Before hybrids became the rage, several long-hitting tour pros carried a 4W and 7W for longer shots.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I prefer long irons due to distance control and shorter length. I carry a 3w and 3h, but I like my 4i so much I'll probably just get a 3i and something in the 2 iron slot. Most likely will be either a 2h or a 5w, since 2 irons are hard to come by. I might even go with a 2 and 4 wood, but I don't see myself needing the 2 even on long par 5s, or I might go standard 3 and 4 or 5 wood. Most likely the 4 wood slot will go unfilled, however, due to lack of selection and less need for a club that can't hit greens. Woods and hybrids are great for forgiveness and extra distance, but if you generate power and spin enough to hit long irons high, it's hard to dislike the feeling of a pure shot from a long iron. Something about the clubs just makes the swing feel smooth.

Most players aren't concerned about stopping the ball at that point in their bag, so I understand the choice, especially if you like the club off the tee. I usually choose between a driver and 4 iron off the tee, however. The 3w is untrustworthy until I change the grip and practice more with it, and the hybrid just doesn't really work well for me. It's very hard to control launch with it, has too shallow a face for use off the tee, and I can't decide if I should hit it like a wood or an iron; sweeping it doesn't give good trajectory control, but hitting down balloons it and I can't really trust the distances. I hit them both straight, just not the right distance.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

• 1 month later...

I have 1,3,5,7, and 9 woods in my bag. I would own a 11 and 13 wood if a company made them. I'm a new golfer and have trouble hitting my irons, which are 6-LW.

I can hit my 7 wood 160-170 with no issues and my 9 wood 130-150. While I get some odd looks sometimes, it doesn't matter to me what's in anyones bag if they can play.

In the Puma Orange Formation Stand Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ (10.25)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Diablo Octane (3,5,7,9)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro (6-PW) 

Wedges: Mizuno JPX (50, 55, & 60)

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

Ball: Titleist DT Solo

I'm looking at getting a 24* hybrid to replace my 4 iron. I saw online someone talking about how a Titleist rep said that people who do put a 4 hybrid in the bag like it a lot more than hitting a 4 irons but that many people aren't willing to do it. Of course it was online so I took it as a grain of salt but still.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

3 years ago I pulled my 2,3, and 4 irons in favor of 2 hybrids and a 4th wedge. I'm 53 years old and playing some of the best golf of my life. One of these days they're going to realize that hybrids are an unfair advantage and oughta be illegal. Until then, they're in my bag!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!