IGNORED

Tiger's Death Stare at Alex Miceli

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did you watch the video? It had a little tone, you know... C'mon now. I don't think his comments were very negative, but the "have a nice day" was not sincere.

Agreed. It goes against the "never let them see you sweat" rule in PR. Tiger has everything to lose, Alex has nothing to lose. People will remember Tiger getting rankled long after they forget who asked the question. Alex who?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And some point in all of our lives we wanted to be something we aren't.  When I was ten I wanted to be a cowboy, fifteen a baseball player, nineteen Bruce Lee, nineteen and a half Pete Townsend.  Now two Master's degrees and a career later I want to tend Tiki bar in the Caribbean.  Personally I think there are somethings that A) don't need to be shared, and B) if they are, can be confidential.

Tiger Woods can be a wiener, but sometimes other folks need to have some class as well.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Yeah!!!!! So are firemen and cowboys.

Do you not think that for the world's most famous athlete to become a SEAL at the near height of his career is a more than a little odd?

Nobody is criticising SEALS, but it would be like a movie star saying they were going to become a school teacher or an ex president wanting to become a policeman. Reality check needed. It's talk that sounds cool that doesn't have to be backed up. But maybe he was joking and Haney didn't get it.

And who might the other needle movers be? Someone who dresses in orange from head to toe but is yet to win? A "deeply religious" family man? A politically conservative hunter? PGA Tour golfers are pretty much notorious for their dullness.

Fact of the matter is, and I think I'm like a lot of golfers, I think that Tiger is a despicable, arrogant creep. But.......every time he tees it up I want him to win because he makes golf exciting. Unfair as it may seem, I want him to win and would prefer him to win over a struggling journeyman evey time he can. I want him to win by 5 shots every time. There is nothing in sport like the anticipation of watching Tiger. A Zach Johnson 61 rates low on excitement. A Tiger 67 is 9 out of 10, especially with a 20 footer on the 18th.

That is the Tiger factor. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I have to comment on what's in red.  Being a US Navy Seal is certainly not a step down from professional golf.  Navy Seals simply sacrifice family and body, to earn a spot on one of the world's most elite teams, so that they can risk their lives, secreting into a hostile country, under incredibly dangerous conditions, to kill the world's most dangerous people.  And, for all of this, they get no personal recognition and very little money.

Kinda not a step down from getting paid tens of millions of dollars a year to play golf.

Now, whether or not he could realistically do it is another story.  He would have been a little old for BUDS at 32, and he'd have to be an active duty Sailor above the rank of E-4 to even qualify for the program.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

We do. I suspect, as I said, that he has little to nothing to gain. He's not going to persuade people who hate him to like him because he opens up about a book that he feels is a violation of his trust. You keep saying it was "negative" and I think that's a mischaracterization. It wasn't "negative" just because he didn't answer all of the questions in as much detail as you wanted. Buddhism does not require that he be "open" about every detail of his life or the ways in which others have betrayed his trust or friendship.

You can call what he's doing a "mistake" all you want, but that's just your opinion. I've shared my opinion, which differs from yours, and I've reached the point now where I find myself repeating things enough that I must have said all I have to say in response to you on this topic. :)

Hi - I only suggested a different course. I don't think he was negative because he did not take another direction. It is the way he did it that I thought was negative. None of us are perfect. But having a cadre of support personnel, I expected more from Tiger's camp.

Having viewed the entire press conference, even if he did not want to say anything about the book, I think he came across as negative. The way he projected himself, his manner of speaking, his unease, his "you're a peach" comment.

How to make what he said "positive"?

"Alex, no one has read the book. I know Steinberg made a statement earlier, and I wish he hadn't said anything. What Hank says in his book are his opinions and observations - ask him, not me (and then laugh). Hank is trying to promote his book by releasing excerpts and using all of you to drum up sales and ask me questions. I won't be used. As I've said, I did not expect him to write a book and I wish he had asked me. But he did not. I want no part of it. I mean, it's his book and opinions. So go to him. I won't comment or read the book. If I read it, then I'd have to answer your questions (laughs again).  No Thanks." (smiles).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah!!!!! So are firemen and cowboys.

Do you not think that for the world's most famous athlete to become a SEAL at the near height of his career is a more than a little odd?

Nobody is criticising SEALS, but it would be like a movie star saying they were going to become a school teacher or an ex president wanting to become a policeman. Reality check needed. It's talk that sounds cool that doesn't have to be backed up. But maybe he was joking and Haney didn't get it.

And who might the other needle movers be? Someone who dresses in orange from head to toe but is yet to win? A "deeply religious" family man? A politically conservative hunter? PGA Tour golfers are pretty much notorious for their dullness.

Fact of the matter is, and I think I'm like a lot of golfers, I think that Tiger is a despicable, arrogant creep. But.......every time he tees it up I want him to win because he makes golf exciting. Unfair as it may seem, I want him to win and would prefer him to win over a struggling journeyman evey time he can. I want him to win by 5 shots every time. There is nothing in sport like the anticipation of watching Tiger. A Zach Johnson 61 rates low on excitement. A Tiger 67 is 9 out of 10, especially with a 20 footer on the 18th.

That is the Tiger factor. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

Well said! So are firemen and cowboys!! ha ha ha! I completely agree about Tiger...I actually think he is a total dirtbag and try to hate him, but for some reason when he lines up and hits a putt I find myself saying "get in the hole!" The only way I can explain it is that it is more fun to watch great saves, shots nobody else would try or be able to pull off (drama) than watching David Toms plot along a course and shoot. Nothin against guys like David Toms. Tiger just commands attention.

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/56037/tigers-death-stare-at-alex-miceli/36#post_684451"]

Are you trolling or do you really  not get it?  He doesn't want to comment on anything in Haney's book.  He didn't give Haney permission to publish the book, he's not happy Haney did so why should he give any credibility to it.  If Tiger wanted to be a Navy SEAL he shared that with Haney during their time together as friends or student/coach.  If he wanted the world to know about it, he'd have held a press conference or said it himself during an interview.

Real simply, Haney is slime.  He's using Tiger to make money for himself because Haney by himself isn't relevant enough to sell as many books.

[/quote] Haney is scumbag! He is just worried about making money.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Wow guys, you're not going to believe this.  I just heard from a buddy who's a golf insider that Hank is currently working on another book.  It's going to be called "Pause at the Top" and it's about his time teaching Charles Barkley on the Haney Project.  Major revelations in the book:  Barkley was concerned about his weight, and when he retired from the NBA he tried to become an astronaut.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by iacas

Did you watch the video? It had a little tone, you know... C'mon now. I don't think his comments were very negative, but the "have a nice day" was not sincere.

That was my favorite part of the interview . Good for Tiger in that situation. Miceli was really being a jerk. Tiger held his temper remarkably well IMO.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Actually, other writers brought it up before they got to Micelli.

I stand corrected.  However the point is the same.  Micelli is not a dumb guy, he knew that line of questioning on that subject was not going to be answered yet he pressed it for the sake of creating a story, IMHO.  As for Tiger, if he had told Haney that he wanted to become a hip hop dancer, that was between them, and he shouldn't have to answer it if he feels Haney breached the boundaries of their relationship with his book.  If he got upset after the question was repeatedly asked, it's understandable.  Honestly, the title of this thread ("death stare") as well as the titles to some articles ("heated back and forth") are exaggerations to say the least.

Micelli is not dumb, he's actually very smart.  He knew engaging Tiger the way he did would result in his name being mentioned on ESPN, and appear in headlines, online blogs and golf forums like the TST.  He doesn't have enough money to buy this much attention.  That's the problem with the press today, it's not about journalism or integrity, it's all about marketing themselves and increasing their Twitter followers and Facebook friends so they can go to their boss and demand more money.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I stand corrected.  However the point is the same.  Micelli is not a dumb guy, he knew that line of questioning on that subject was not going to be answered yet he pressed it for the sake of creating a story, IMHO.  As for Tiger, if he had told Haney that he wanted to become a hip hop dancer, that was between them, and he shouldn't have to answer it if he feels Haney breached the boundaries of their relationship with his book.  If he got upset after the question was repeatedly asked, it's understandable.  Honestly, the title of this thread ("death stare") as well as the titles to some articles ("heated back and forth") are exaggerations to say the least.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Micelli is not dumb, he's actually very smart.  He knew engaging Tiger the way he did would result in his name being mentioned on ESPN, and appear in headlines, online blogs and golf forums like the TST.  He doesn't have enough money to buy this much attention.  That's the problem with the press today, it's not about journalism or integrity, it's all about marketing themselves and increasing their Twitter followers and Facebook friends so they can go to their boss and demand more money.

Just like Haney writing a book about his time with Tiger will get him more fame than he deserves.

So yeah, maybe it does make Miceli "smart" to a certain extent in that he knew this was his one shot to try to get under Tiger's skin, maybe get him riled up & then enjoy the media exposure he doesn't deserve.

But it also makes him an unethical toadie parasite. And kudos for Tiger for realizing it, for giving him a modicum of respect with the initial question, then shutting him off at the repeated attempts to dredge something up. Miceli got what he deserved, and I give Tiger props for handling it as well as he did.

Its really simple.  Just answer the question, Tiger.  Either you had considered joining the military or you didnt.  If you answer the question theres no controversy and no reporters badgering you about it.

Yet another example of Tiger being a control freak and thinking that he can be famous and still have every aspect of his personal life kept secret.  Sorry, Tiger, it doesnt work that way.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Its really simple.  Just answer the question, Tiger.  Either you had considered joining the military or you didnt.  If you answer the question theres no controversy and no reporters badgering you about it.

Yet another example of Tiger being a control freak and thinking that he can be famous and still have every aspect of his personal life kept secret.  Sorry, Tiger, it doesnt work that way.

Or not. Tiger owes us nothing.

"Hey Tiger - is it true you considered becoming a covert CIA spy?"

"Hey Tiger - is it true you wanted to compete in the Tour De France?"

"Hey Tiger - is it true you want to run for president of Monaco?"

Come on.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Or not. Tiger owes us nothing.

"Hey Tiger - is it true you considered becoming a covert CIA spy?"

"Hey Tiger - is it true you wanted to compete in the Tour De France?"

"Hey Tiger - is it true you want to run for president of Monaco?"

Come on.

True but you also cant get annoyed when people ask you those questions.  Especially when those people are reporters whose JOB it is to ask those questions. Seriously, whys it got to be such a big secret?  Im sure a lot of people would admire Tiger for contemplating joining the military, especially having such a lofty goal of wanting to be a SEAL.
If Tiger seriously thinks the he is so special that he is the one and only celebrity who isnt going to have people talking about his personal life, well, guess again, Tiger.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

True but you also cant get annoyed when people ask you those questions.  Especially when those people are reporters whose JOB it is to ask those questions.

And that's fine. The first time it's asked. Maybe even the 2nd time it's asked. But eventually Tiger has the right to say 'Asked and answered' and move on.

Here's the way I look at it. Anyone has a right to ask Tiger whatever they want. Tiger has an equal right to not answer whatever he wants.

I just now remembered what's been bugging me since this thread started . . wasn't it Miceli who last year called Tiger "The Worst Player on the Planet"?  Tiger's response to that, if I recall, was "well I think I'm still better than you, Alex".  And I think I remember reading or hearing the year before that that he called him "gutless" as well.

Miceli has a pattern of trying to take low-blow shots at Tiger to get a reaction and call attention to himself.

I honestly think Tiger has been very polite, all considered.  If I were him I would certainly refuse to take another question from Miceli.  I would like to see how having no access to the games biggest star helps his career .. the little self serving donut-hole that he is.

I just now remembered what's been bugging me since this thread started . . wasn't it Miceli who last year called Tiger "The Worst Player on the Planet"?  Tiger's response to that, if I recall, was "well I think I'm still better than you, Alex".  And I think I remember reading or hearing the year before that that he called him "gutless" as well.

Miceli has a pattern of trying to take low-blow shots at Tiger to get a reaction and call attention to himself.

I honestly think Tiger has been very polite, all considered.  If I were him I would certainly refuse to take another question from Miceli.  I would like to see how having no access to the games biggest star helps his career .. the little self serving donut-hole that he is.

I totally agree. I wouldn't take any more questions from him either.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

And you're a moron.

See how easy that is?  I watched that video and read the article.  You claiming he's classless based on that is really ignorant.

Brandon

Brandon,

I would appreciate you not calling me a moron for voicing an opinion.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

But you get to post whatever you said in the first post because Tiger "stared" at a reporter that a lot of the fine people in this thread seem to think was way out of line and being a "douche"?

Okay.

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

Brandon,

I would appreciate you not calling me a moron for voicing an opinion.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!