IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

8 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

Absolutely golden video, thank you!

I personally have my butt out at the address, coming from over ten years of ice skating in my youth. Would you say having your butt out can lead to early extension aswell, because your butt has to move off the wall to give freedom for your upper body to rotate?

Probably, but that is hard to confirm without a down the line picture of you at address.

What is really at issue here is whether or not you can hinge your hips properly with a neutral spine (i.e. without anterior pelvic tilt; the S shape OR posterior pelvic tilt; the C shape). If you have either posterior pelvic tilt or anterior pelvic tilt while standing upright, then you would want to address that issue first; lots of good information on youtube and other resources on the net. Use your favorite search tool. 

Here is an excellent video on learning the proper hip hinge.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I first started playing I was taught what "athletic" posture was in the golf set-up.  Straight back, stick the butt out and have the chin up.  Similar to what this article and video recommend.

With all due respect you could find testimonials on how successful many medicines, herbs, techniques, exercises, etc. are despite scientifically showing zero effect. Nail fungus cures, ear infections,

There are few things that are common among all these pro is - there right shoulder is lower than the left, which puts you spine at an angle slightly away from the target and they all have a flex in th

Posted Images

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

I personally have my butt out at the address, coming from over ten years of ice skating in my youth. Would you say having your butt out can lead to early extension aswell, because your butt has to move off the wall to give freedom for your upper body to rotate?

It can, but as with almost everything, it won't necessarily lead to that. I don't even know that I could say it would the majority of the time.

• Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/16/2020 at 9:42 PM, Tepi90 said:

Absolutely golden video, thank you!

It can, especially if the weight gets into your heels at address.

Having said that you can also early extend from a good address position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I just discovered the OP while searching the web on terms like "golf setup back straight curved."  Interestingly: The majority of hits led to articles promoting straight back, head up.  This is what our golf class instructor taught us last summer--as well as butt out.  (I just started golfing last June.)

To make a summer-long story short: While I had successes, I never was able to develop a good, consistent swing.

I'm up here in cold country.  Not wishing to start at Ground Zero come spring, I decided to take off-season lessons from a place called True MotionThe very first thing they're having me do, after I sent them front and down-line videos of my current swing, was a full week of drills doing nothing but fixing my setup stance--to include rounding my shoulders.

I don't know how good my golf swing will be, after all is said and done, but I can say this: I've been suffering from upper-back, shoulder, and neck discomfort for a while, now.  (This started before I took up golf.)  Doing various exercises to increase the flexibility in my upper back so as to allow me to round it in my golf stance has made all that disappear completely.