IGNORED

2012 WGC Cadillac - TPC Blue Monster at Doral Discussion Thread

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 4414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If the Honda was any indication, we are in store for a great tournament. Rory, Tiger, Lee, Luke, Phil, Nick, Sergio and the list goes on for what should be a shoot out on a great track. Rory's win and move to number one, Tiger's coming out party, Lee's solid play, and Phil's recent win make for some compelling stories. Who do you see making the move and coming out on top?

Doral.JPG

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

As much of a tiger fanboi that I am, i don't know if he can putt well enough for four days to pull it off...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil has been on vacation for the last 2 tournaments so I wouldn't expect much out of him. Tiger proved that if his putter is hot he can still go low but it needs to be there for 4 rounds. Rory has to be the favorite but it's been a good season thus far so I expect this to be a good one.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by colin007

As much of a tiger fanboi that I am, i don't know if he can putt well enough for four days to pull it off...

There is something odd about the way Tiger went from being an average putter for 6 of his last 8 rounds, to looking like the former #1 on Sunday.  It seemed as though every single putt had the proper pace, and he was reading them well also.  Either he caught lightning in a bottle, or he's figured something out.  We'll find out this weekend I guess.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm impressed with the way Rory played today with TW posting that -10. Given he won the Honda... And how difficult it is to go back to back weeks... I believe this is Tigers tournament. I believe it has been 25 consecutive tournaments since Tigers last official PGA victory? Although Westwood has been hot too... It's going to be another great week for the PGA.

The media is already selling Doral as a Rory vs. Tiger vs. Phil showdown, but I have to think there are some people who feel left out of the discussion, Lee Westwood in particular. I would not at all be surprised if Lee makes Rory's stay at number one very brief.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I thought Tiger was back at Abu Dhabi and then he wasn't ... so I don't know what to expect form him next week.

I'm going with Keegan Bradley ... he's been playing well (maybe not today so much) for the last few weeks.

I just think that with how this season is shaping up with there being so many great players and so many great story lines, it's impossible to pick a winner right now. This is great for the PGA Tour though and great for golf in general as the game is now finally getting what they've been looking for in players to step up, be compelling, and draw an audience. I can not think of one boring finish on the PGA tour this year and that's with 10 tournaments already. Can't wait for the majors!!

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

This is going to be a great event. The Miami weather is supposed to be mild with winds ranging all week from 10-20 with gusts in the mid-20s. This is very typical March weather and provides for pleasant viewing conditions. I plan to be down there all day Friday so if you are going shoot me a pm.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Tiger knows Doral Blue Monster greens, so I think he will putt well all week.  He hadn't played PGA National in 20 something years, so I believe it took him to Sunday to figure the greens out,

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by mlf16507

Tiger knows Doral Blue Monster greens, so I think he will putt well all week.  He hadn't played PGA National in 20 something years, so I believe it took him to Sunday to figure the greens out,

He lives near there I'm sure he's played there in the last 20 years but either way I don't think him not playing there was causing his putting problems. He has had putting issues for a while on sunday he seemed to have it figured out now we can see if that continues.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Doral is a tough enough course that who knows who is gonna win. Rory, Tiger and Lee are playing well but that doesn't guarantee anything...the wind in florida can make even the greats look bad. I have a gut feeling that it's gonna be a 1st time winner...or Tiger or Lee or Rory or Phil or Nick or so on an so on. The only thing I do know is that its gonna be fun to watch...unless of course it rains. What is the weather forecast anyway?
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwmusic View Post

Doral is a tough enough course that who knows who is gonna win. Rory, Tiger and Lee are playing well but that doesn't guarantee anything...the wind in florida can make even the greats look bad. I have a gut feeling that it's gonna be a 1st time winner...or Tiger or Lee or Rory or Phil or Nick or so on an so on. The only thing I do know is that its gonna be fun to watch...unless of course it rains. What is the weather forecast anyway?

3 posts up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

This is going to be a great event. The Miami weather is supposed to be mild with winds ranging all week from 10-20 with gusts in the mid-20s. This is very typical March weather and provides for pleasant viewing conditions. I plan to be down there all day Friday so if you are going shoot me a pm.

I'll add chance of showers Thurs and Sunday, winds in the teens gusting up to mid 20s. Very typical and compelling March conditions for Doral. It is one of the hardest months to play golf in because of the wind and this week will not disappoint!

Check out Who's Hot and Who's Not

HOT

1. Rory. Get used to him being No. 1 -- here, and elsewhere. If the kid chips and putts like that on a regular basis the sky's the limit.

2. The Honda Classic. Is it too soon to anoint it the fifth major?

3. Tiger. That 62 was his most electric golf in ages. If Florida is merely a tune-up for Augusta, then Woods is right on schedule. But one ominous thought: in the past when Tiger summoned his best golf, didn't that usually translate into a victory?

4. Greg Johnston. He just signed on as Lexi Thompson's new caddie. The job requires comfortable shoes, a yardage guide and a wheelbarrow for carting around all the cash he's going to make.

5. The Seminole Pro-Member. Actually, this may be the fifth major.

NOT

1. Keegan Bradley. In position to challenge for another title, he shot a sloppy 73 on Sunday, the worst score of anyone who finished in the top 17. I'm sure he was spitting mad.

2. Luke Donald. I know he enjoyed his run at No. 1, which is a good thing because he (or any other player of this generation) may never get there again.

3. Rory. According to some peerless reporting by my colleague Michael Bamberger, the favored beer of the young lad from Northern Ireland is…wait for it…Corona.  Somewhere Darren Clarke is drowning his sorrows with a claret jug full of Guinness.

4. Lee Westwood. Quintessential Westy: he shoots a final-round 63 to finish fourth, and nobody even notices.

5. The Masters. I can't believe it's still a month away. The wait is killing me.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ahhhh, the Seminole Pro-Member gets a nod...if there are 2 courses in heaven one is Augusta and the other is Seminole. I have played in three stroke play tournaments at Seminole and it doesn't get any better. I can only dream of the Pro-Member tournament. It is just as big of a thrill for the pros as it is for the members. As far as The Honda goes it got some serious legs last weekend for sure.

Im picking Jason Day

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I'll be there Friday as well.  I actually have an extra VIP wristband that's yours if you want it.  I think it allows access to some grandstand seating(not the 18th though).

I'll be there Friday as well.  I actually have an extra VIP wristband that's yours if you want it.  I think it allows access to some grandstand seating(not the 18th though).

Thanks, I have some clubhouse passes so I am all set along with parking. The wind has been up the past 2 days and it will make things interesting. They always are at Doral!

Note: This thread is 4414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!