IGNORED

Tunable Drivers with Adjustable Face Angle ... Huh?

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can somebody explain this one to me?

I understand adjusting the loft, or the lie, or the weights, but how exactly does one adjust the face angle of a clubhead that is attached to a symmetrical shaft with a symmetrical grip?

Sounds like a marketing trick to me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I understand adjusting the loft, or the lie, or the weights, but how exactly does one adjust the face angle of a clubhead that is attached to a symmetrical shaft with a symmetrical grip?

Simple: the gearing inside the hosel (the movable part) isn't symmetrical. And on the R11, I believe the triangular thing on the bottom adjusts how the club sits when soled on the ground. So they accomplish it that way.

You can "fight it" a little and still twist the shaft to put the clubface back where you want, but you're "fighting" it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It affects the way it lies on the ground, and how it looks at address somewhat. It is used to adjust it so it still looks square, but has a draw or fade bias. It's more practical to have the loft adjustment than anything else.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by iacas

Simple: the gearing inside the hosel (the movable part) isn't symmetrical. And on the R11, I believe the triangular thing on the bottom adjusts how the club sits when soled on the ground. So they accomplish it that way.

You can "fight it" a little and still twist the shaft to put the clubface back where you want, but you're "fighting" it.

Right, inside the hosel unseen might be assymetrical, but visually the shaft and grip looks the same all the way around, so unless you have a putter grip on there it seems to me that you would always want to "fight" it.  I point the clubface in the direction I want to aim which I assume would counteract whatever I just changed underneath the club.

The adjustable sole plate is raised or flat or neutral. So for example if the sole plate is raised, the club face will be closed when soled on the ground.  Then you grip the club and you would have a closed face so that you can better hit it straight or a draw or maybe to fit your eye better.

So thats what that waist of technology is on the bottom of that club. Honestly i see no point in adjustable clubs. Players have been shapping shots way before these clubs came out. The onlything i see is if you get adjustable loft. That way you can really focus in on the loft you want. Other than that, i don't see a point. For 100 bucks more, i rather spend that money on a better golf shaft.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

OK, I get it now.  If you rest the club on the ground then take your grip it will be open or closed or whatever.  I still don't get how in the world you would aim after that.  (Unless what Lucius said is true about it being opened or closed yet still looking square to the eye)

I still don't see the need for it. ... I would much rather get to the root cause of my slice or hook and fix my swing instead.

I still don't see the need for it. ... I would much rather get to the root cause of my slice or hook and fix my swing instead.

Once you get past the marketing hype, there really isn't.

And congrats for being one among the few who actually want to fix the problem!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by saevel25

So thats what that waist of technology is on the bottom of that club. Honestly i see no point in adjustable clubs. Players have been shapping shots way before these clubs came out. The onlything i see is if you get adjustable loft. That way you can really focus in on the loft you want. Other than that, i don't see a point. For 100 bucks more, i rather spend that money on a better golf shaft.

Better fitting. That's the "point."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, but is moving a 9.5 to a 9.0 really going to make that much of a difference?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yea, but is moving a 9.5 to a 9.0 really going to make that much of a difference?

I don't understand. Clearly it makes a 0.5 degree difference.

And FWIW my 10.5 degree driver is currently set at 9.75 degrees, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

Yeah, what iacas said.  Changing the loft of a driver by 3/4* makes quite a bit of difference (7% to be exact), and the results are immediate and obvious.  Now the changes you see when fiddling with the lie angle are probably a little more subtle (I haven't tried, just left mine where my fitter set it).

Tour pros (and people with a lot of extra money) always had the luxury of being able to tinker with their clubs (or just keep replacing them) as their swings evolved.  Now, for a few extra dollars we all can have that luxury.  One could argue that it is actually a savings of money because now you don't have to go and buy an all new driver, you just tweak the one you have.

I know I should probably post this is the rules section, but since we're already talking about these clubs...just for my own curiosity: Are these adjustable drivers "legal" for competition according to the USGA?

All clubs may incorporate mechanisms for weight adjustment. Other forms of adjustability may also be permitted upon evaluation by the USGA. The following requirements apply to all permissible methods of adjustment:

(i) the adjustment cannot be readily made;

(ii) all adjustable parts are firmly fixed and there is no reasonable likelihood of them working loose during a round; and

(iii) all configurations of adjustment conform with the Rules.

During a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means (see Rule 4-2a).

I figured these would fall under the (i) section of the change being readily made which would make them illegal but who knows.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Yes they are.  They just cannot have any of the settings altered during the round.  As for (i), I don't think the pros can even have the tools in their bag that allow them to be changed (that's just hearsay, I could be wrong).

Otherwise, Phil, DJ, and the dozens of other tour pros who play them would not be able to.

They are most definitely legal and a vast majority of the pros nowadays use one.  Obviously as (iii) points out you cannot adjust it during a round.  I see your point though because (i) is kind of a grey area.  On my D3 I don't have the chart memorized, but it takes about 30 seconds to adjust it once you have the wrench in hand.  I guess one could argue that is "readily."

But I think "readily" means something more like "nefariously" as if you could subtley push a button or screw the head over a click with just your hand.

• Administrator

They are most definitely legal and a vast majority of the pros nowadays use one.  Obviously as (iii) points out you cannot adjust it during a round.  I see your point though because (i) is kind of a grey area.  On my D3 I don't have the chart memorized, but it takes about 30 seconds to adjust it once you have the wrench in hand.  I guess one could argue that is "readily."

But I think "readily" means something more like "nefariously" as if you could subtley push a button or screw the head over a click with just your hand.

Right. The clubs are approved as legal for play so the USGA has ruled that they pass test put forth in (i).

Would anyone recommend an adjustable driver for an aspiring high handicap player due to the ability to change almost every setting possible while they learn to hone thier swing?

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!