Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jaredshows1

Snap Hooks will be the death of me.

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 posts / 23898 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I can feel your pain but I am guessing you are on the right track. Try initiating your down-swing by turning your right hip (slowly) towards the target. This will automatically force your right elbow to drop and get the club into the slot. It will not take long to get this into muscle memory and become automatic. There is NOTHING worse than standing over a ball knowing it will go left unless you manipulate your swing. You did mention your grip is neutral. I have seen many golfers you think they have a neutral grip yet they are only referring to their left hand. If your right hand is rotated to the right (more under the club) this can induce a hook. If you rotate your right hand to the left (over the club) it becomes virtually impossible to close the face prior to impact. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I suffer from periodic bouts of this as well. I squared my left foot up a little, and it helped. I also coach baseball and remembered a little saying"stand tall on the backside". When I remember keep my right shoulder "tall" and not dip down at the ball, I have a nice gentle draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

Or is it starting well left and then staying there, and traveling low but not curving a whole lot?

I have a buddy that is bad to do this.  Any advice i can give him on what hes doing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GixxerTed

I have a buddy that is bad to do this.  Any advice i can give him on what hes doing here?

If it's not curving much, his path and face are both well left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've fought the snap hooks before. For me it's all about the right elbow chicken winging on me (I used to play baseball and swung with a punchy right elbow). If the elbow came out early in the down swing I'd cast and slice. If it came out late in the down swing I'd get a snap hook. I can't see your video, maybe it's my browser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having a terrible problem with hooking on drives . I tried a more upright stance , and moved in closer to the ball , so there was about a fist sized space between the top of the club and belt  buckle . I also soled the club and positioned the ball half way between the center line on the face and the toe . Now I'm about 240 down the middle .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just find a way of opening that face up somehow..... Without seeing the swing it would be hard to tell. I would focus on impact first, doing practice drills and waggles coming in with the face aiming right to get a feeling of this (feel so me like my right palm stays facing at the target or slightly right of it for longer through impact). you could also try feeling like it is open as it comes down. Do a few pump drills for the downswing where you feel like the clubhead is facing 12 o clock, or even 1 oclock as it is around chest height on the way down (the left wrist should be quite cupped to produce this).

If all else fails, you could try a hold off release - I play very good golf with this (I am a shut face player thorughout the swing). as the club reaches parallel to the ground in the followthrough, the face will point, again, to 1 o clock more than straight up (more traditional release). But I will be honest, this has been more of a result of me focusing on keeping it open through impact which results in the followthrough.

After doing it enough, it is now automatic and I dont think about it. I no  longer hook like I used to and can quickly rectify it if it comes back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Sultan Gris

I can feel your pain but I am guessing you are on the right track. Try initiating your down-swing by turning your right hip (slowly) towards the target. This will automatically force your right elbow to drop and get the club into the slot. It will not take long to get this into muscle memory and become automatic. There is NOTHING worse than standing over a ball knowing it will go left unless you manipulate your swing. You did mention your grip is neutral. I have seen many golfers you think they have a neutral grip yet they are only referring to their left hand. If your right hand is rotated to the right (more under the club) this can induce a hook. If you rotate your right hand to the left (over the club) it becomes virtually impossible to close the face prior to impact. Hope this helps.

I struggled with the same issue a few years ago, and this grip change took care of it for me.  I rotated my bottom hand more on top of the club.  It felt weird at first, but it helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by hero12

I struggled with the same issue a few years ago, and this grip change took care of it for me.  I rotated my bottom hand more on top of the club.  It felt weird at first, but it helped.

yeah that could also work well, he said he had a neutral grip though. weakening the left hand is usually death, but there are lots of players with right hands on top, like hogan for example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, this is great reading. Just played in a tournament today and had to keep the driver in the bag, snapping hooking a 9.5 degree driver 220 yards 20' off the ground...I'm at whits end here as well. Typically before 2-3 weeks ago, hit a high draw 275-280. So why is it i can hit my 3 wood with great results, 250, high draw....driver is really in my head. Instructor wanted me to drop my right shoulder....reverse K...??? Feels weird. Figure I'll try bringing my right hand more over...BUT...currently have both "V's" perfectly at my right shoulder, so worried about changing that...thoughts...??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by parforpeta

Guys, this is great reading. Just played in a tournament today and had to keep the driver in the bag, snapping hooking a 9.5 degree driver 220 yards 20' off the ground...I'm at whits end here as well. Typically before 2-3 weeks ago, hit a high draw 275-280. So why is it i can hit my 3 wood with great results, 250, high draw....driver is really in my head. Instructor wanted me to drop my right shoulder....reverse K...??? Feels weird. Figure I'll try bringing my right hand more over...BUT...currently have both "V's" perfectly at my right shoulder, so worried about changing that...thoughts...??

Obviously the face is too closed now compared to where it was when you were hitting the high draw. This is turning a driver into a snap hook, but the 3 wood you are probably getting away with as it has more loft. Sometimes it can be a little mental though, I have had it with certain clubs which tend to go a different way to my normal pattern, but I just dealt with it. For example, for many years I used stiff shafts in all my clubs except my 3 wood, which was regular. as a result, it tended to go a little more left than every other club in my bag - so everytime i held my 3 wood i just weakened my grip a little. This change eventually became automatic so that I didn't have to think about it, it just happened every time I go my 3 wood in my hands.

I know a lot of people may see that as overly complicated to have a different swing for every club, but to a certain extent, this is true of every player. We need a different path and face combo with every club in the bag, especially as you become a longer hitter. A +5 path with a +2 face will have massively different results depending on whether it was a wedge shot or a driver shot. Add to the fact that your shaft flexes are probably wildly varing throughout your bag, even if it is the same shaft with the same flex written on it, studies have shown it can vary as much as 2 flexes.

Just understand the rules for controlling ball flight, find some ways which are good for YOU to manipulate those, and keep on trying to calibrate a better ball flight.

In your situation, Maybe try aiming that right hand V at your chin. I certainly make that change when a draw starts turning into a hook. It may not work for everyone though, this is where you ahve to experiement and find out what will get the clubface open enough for you to get back to that baby draw.

As a side note, get a non perm market pen, draw a dot on the ball and hit it. Look on the clubface at where the mark is - hitting off centre with a driver can also have a massive influence. Check this before you start fiddling with the face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam...thanks for the information. Playing with my right hand grip seems to be a good place to start. I'm playing at Chambers Bay tomorrow (Home of the 2015 US Open, Hometown plug here) and will see how this works out.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if his ball starts right of target and works back hard left, his path is far right of where his clubface is aiming.

Didn't mean to simply repeat what was already said, just thinking out loud here to try to solve my own hook.

My "typical" shot shape for years was slightly right to left.  My misses were usually big blocks.

Now the miss for the past couple years is a hook.

My hook is almost always very low.  It is what I would described as a smothered hook.  It never starts right of target, at best it starts on the target line (doesn't stay there long) but usually starts left of target, anywhere from a couple degrees to maybe 20+ degrees, and then turns further left, violently.

So for my hooks that start out on line with the target and turn hard left - my clubface is square to my target on those but my path is well right of the target. ..?

The ones that start left and go further left - my face is closed to the target and maybe I swung the club down the path of the target, or possible slightly left of it?

So do I have a clubface problem or a path problem?  I'm guessing both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by $2 Nassau

So if his ball starts right of target and works back hard left, his path is far right of where his clubface is aiming.

Didn't mean to simply repeat what was already said, just thinking out loud here to try to solve my own hook.

My "typical" shot shape for years was slightly right to left.  My misses were usually big blocks.

Now the miss for the past couple years is a hook.

My hook is almost always very low.  It is what I would described as a smothered hook.  It never starts right of target, at best it starts on the target line (doesn't stay there long) but usually starts left of target, anywhere from a couple degrees to maybe 20+ degrees, and then turns further left, violently.

So for my hooks that start out on line with the target and turn hard left - my clubface is square to my target on those but my path is well right of the target. ..?

The ones that start left and go further left - my face is closed to the target and maybe I swung the club down the path of the target, or possible slightly left of it?

So do I have a clubface problem or a path problem?  I'm guessing both?

I would probably say both...but as i have heard from the 5sk guys before, if the face is shut enough you can still hit this shot with a slight in out swing. starting line is 85% clubface...which you could be swinging 'down the line' but your clubface is dead shut at impact (delofted, hence the lower trajectory).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2020 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • After the All Star stuff tonight there was an hour long documentary (or Masterson application video, probably) on the amount of damage done to Connor McDavids knee in the final game of last season.  I'm not sure how you'd watch it in the States since it isn't on YouTube yet, but wow, just wow.    The Oilers picked up the rumored four million dollar tab for his rehab, and even still it's hard to believe he skated on opening day, let alone the preseason.   I already had a lot of respect for the guy, but after watching this it's shot through the roof now.
    • Day 16, January 24 2020.  Putting over the aluminum yardstick this evening after work.  Longest streak:  7 in a row, all 36" (at speed to go at least twice that far).
    • Got my first today! It was a pretty easy hole to birdie, but good to start it off right. 
    • I understand that.  But, if I’m striking the ball well one day, I tend to be striking the ball well for a time.  I’ll always take good ball striking over dumb luck, whether good or bad...
    • My golf season is starting in just under three weeks! What we’ll do is practice for a few weeks before our first match on March 2. Anytime we play, I’ll post about it here and on “What’d You Shoot Today?”. Also, if I have any crazy stories from practice, I’ll post those here as well. We do a lot of fun things at practice, from going out and playing a few holes to competitions on the practice green. Our favorite wager: pushups. I’ve got a few crazy stories from last year, so I can put those here too if you want! Definitely looking forward to the season. Just some info from last season: •My scoring average last season was something in the neighborhood of 48.5, with a low score of 45. Hoping to bring that average down to 45 this season. •We made it to regionals as a team last year as one of the top three teams in our conference. At regionals, we played okay, but came up well short, placing ninth out of 12. Top two teams go to state level, and top twelve individuals go to states as well, which leads me to my third point: •We had two of our team members (neither of which were me) go to states. And the final point: •I made a 10 on my last hole of the season. The last hole of regionals, with my family and just about the whole team watching. If you want to know the hole, look up Keith Hills Golf Club, Orange Course #9. Drive to the center of the fairway, then knocked one in the hazard. Dropped, then into the bunker. Took four to get out and onto the green, and then I two-putted. So, there you go. Looking forward to posting my performance this season!
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BraxtonGolf
      BraxtonGolf
      (24 years old)
    2. Dan2501
      Dan2501
      (30 years old)
    3. Finch
      Finch
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...