IGNORED

My Swing (Th3R00st3r)

Th3R00st3r
Note: This thread is 4348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by stricklerlee

I think it's because when you take your club back at parallel, your hands should be over your toes and your club head should be behind your head. Hands in, clubhead out.

Watch Rickie Fowler's swing and see how he does it.

Are you talking about when he has the club 1/2 way in the back swing parallel, or at the top? I might be a little slow when you say hands in.

Like This:

Rory at Parallel.jpg

Originally Posted by mdl

You said moving your hands at the start of your swing is something you see wrong.  That's not necessarily wrong.  Some instructors would say otherwise I think, but that can be a way to start setting the wrists early.  Stadler does this a lot.

You're casting a lot.  This is connected to your rotational swing where you don't get your hips forward.  When you start your swing by spinning your shoulders and then hips, you start an OTT move, and to make contact with the ball at all you have to cast the club and then pull it back across.  Otherwise you'd shank it or miss the ball entirely.

Hi, sorry, would you care to elaborate and post a remedy? Is this related to what Strickerlee was stating where my hands are to far behind me and I should keep them above my feet at parallel?

Thanks very much for all your advice. It's much appreciated.

hey bud,

there was nothing wrong with your distance from the ball with your original video as long as you felt balanced. and don't worry about the length of your swing. it is what it is. what you were missing was load, lag and compression. you have to load the right hip and let your arms swing. as your arms continue to the top, you should be unloading your right hip. this change of direction will create lag. before impact your body should be compressing downwards from your hips. your head should be lower at impact than at address, anywhere from 1 to 3 inches. this is how you get forward shaft lean and compress the ball at impact. at impact your body should feel like it stopped for a split second while your arms swing through. and at the finish, from the DTL view, your left hip and head should be counter-balanced.

Originally Posted by twittek

hey bud,

there was nothing wrong with your distance from the ball with your original video as long as you felt balanced. and don't worry about the length of your swing. it is what it is. what you were missing was load, lag and compression. you have to load the right hip and let your arms swing. as your arms continue to the top, you should be unloading your right hip. this change of direction will create lag. before impact your body should be compressing downwards from your hips. your head should be lower at impact than at address, anywhere from 1 to 3 inches. this is how you get forward shaft lean and compress the ball at impact. at impact your body should feel like it stopped for a split second while your arms swing through. and at the finish, from the DTL view, your left hip and head should be counter-balanced.

Thanks for the analysis. I know what your saying. I watched a vid on Rory's swing and he does what you have outlined above. But watching it, talking about it, and executing is a hard transition for me for some reason. I am hitting my Irons better just from the few days I have been on this forum. My driver is the issue and now I am getting conflicting advice (your too far fro the ball, no your not..) .

I was hitting the driver better when I stand a bit further away, but that's why I am here as I want to find a more consistent way to drive the ball.  I think it might be in my head that I am bringing the driver in too shallow (which is why I go OTT) and I am going to smash it into the ground. The information on this site and online is a great tool\resource for me to try different things until it clicks.

Just got back from the range trying to incorporate some things. I am taking big divots, even though the ball flight was pretty straight but inconsistent with irons. I know it's going to take more than a few practice sessions. I am going to take a lesson probably next week. Need to make sure that the instructor teaches multiple swing types (s&t;, for one) My driver is atrocious. 3wood is pretty good.Not feeling to great about the session. I will get this down though..

Here's a vid of the 7 iron DTL and FO. I am trying really hard to keep my left arm straight at the top of the back swing. Even though I make good contact each time, I feel like it's straight. Also, I am having trouble shifting more left on the downswing. I am buying the book today to read up. Any advice. Am I not even incorporating the advice that's been given?

Quote:
as your arms continue to the top, you should be unloading your right hip

I feel as though I am doing this, but my judgment in impaired.

You are still way inside on the take away, for me anyway.  Another thing I noticed is you throwing your body weight a little early in the down-swing.  This is causing your arms and hands to have to catch up to the body which is already through the shot (or enough of it is through the shot to effect the power you would otherwise generate).  You're almost pulling up as you hit the shot on those last few swings you just uploaded.  Its a timing issue really.  Everything power related in your swing should peak through impact.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

You are still way inside on the take away, for me anyway.  Another thing I noticed is you throwing your body weight a little early in the down-swing.  This is causing your arms and hands to have to catch up to the body which is already through the shot (or enough of it is through the shot to effect the power you would otherwise generate).  You're almost pulling up as you hit the shot on those last few swings you just uploaded.  Its a timing issue really.  Everything power related in your swing should peak through impact.

I see the inside movement, it's mostly arms as I am improperly using a two piece takeaway. I have been trying to work on it, but it's a slow going process. I have some drills that I seen from TGM that I will be using to use a one piece takeaway and will hopefully get me started back on a more outside path relative to where I am bringing it back now.  You also mention that I am pulling up when I hit the shot. Isn't that what I am supposed to do? Slide the hips, lift and extend? Like you said, it's more of a timing thing. I am not sure what to do to correct that.

While I really appreciate the feedback on this forum, it would be great if the feedback identifying the issues was accompanied by a drill, or information on how to work on a particular issue that is  has been identified. I think it would benefit the members, like me, that could learn from the better players. Thanks again!

I see the inside movement, it's mostly arms as I am improperly using a two piece takeaway. I have been trying to work on it, but it's a slow going process. I have some drills that I seen from TGM that I will be using to use a one piece takeaway and will hopefully get me started back on a more outside path relative to where I am bringing it back now.  You also mention that I am pulling up when I hit the shot. Isn't that what I am supposed to do? Slide the hips, lift and extend? Like you said, it's more of a timing thing. I am not sure what to do to correct that. While I really appreciate the feedback on this forum, it would be great if the feedback identifying the issues was accompanied by a drill, or information on how to work on a particular issue that is  has been identified. I think it would benefit the members, like me, that could learn from the better players. Thanks again!

Yes, obviously you have to lift and extend at some point, but i dont recomend it before contact. Just concentrate on keeping your head down and behind the ball all the way through contact... then a nice balanced follow through. The upper body should never get so low that it has to "lift and extend" before impact.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

OK, after watching the S&T; DVDs I think I know why I hit major slices with the driver. Aside from my swing coming OTT(and thus inside to out), I have a better understanding of the ball flight laws and why the slice occurs. Tell me if the following assumptions are correct and feel free to correct me if I am off base.

Reasons I slice my driver (I don't do this as much with the irons):

1.I put the ball forward in my stance about mid instep to toe of my left shoe.

2. Out to in Swing Path

3. Weight starts left but hangs back on the right during the downswing and follow through (think baseball batter)

4 Club face is open(due to OTT), and impact is on the front of the circle (before the point of tangency).

Because of those things, I am hitting the ball in after the point of tangency and the club face at impact is coming across the ball.

To correct this I need to:

1. Put the ball back further in my stance

2. Swing more out to in

3. Start weight left

4. Forward press of handle

5. Point of tangency should be in after the ball in the back of the circle due to weight forward?

6. Weight more left and do not release the hands (flying wedge?)

I didn't know the reasons why I was slicing, and maybe I will have to watch it again, but I think it's starting to click. Knowing why allows me to understand what I need to do rather than trying to apply changes not knowing if I am improving.

Let me know If I am wrong on any of this. I may have the point of tangency reversed. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Aside from my swing coming OTT(and thus inside to out)

Just a heads up: you have these terms backwards. "Out to in" is a swing path that goes to the left through impact (for a righty): common shots are a fade or slice or a pull.

"Inside to out" is a path moving to the right (from "inside" the golf ball to "outside" the golf ball for a righty): common shots are a draw or a hook or a push.

Just wanted to clarify so you are able to get (and parse) advice and talk.

OTT swings are "outside to inside" swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Reasons I slice my driver (I don't do this as much with the irons):

1.I put the ball forward in my stance about mid instep to toe of my left shoe.

2. Out to in Swing Path

3. Weight starts left but hangs back on the right during the downswing and follow through (think baseball batter)

4 Club face is open(due to OTT), and impact is on the front of the circle (before the point of tangency).

Because of those things, I am hitting the ball in after the point of tangency and the club face at impact is coming across the ball.

To correct this I need to:

1. Put the ball back further in my stance

2. Swing more out to in

3. Start weight left

4. Forward press of handle

5. Point of tangency should be in after the ball in the back of the circle due to weight forward?

6. Weight more left and do not release the hands (flying wedge?)

I didn't know the reasons why I was slicing, and maybe I will have to watch it again, but I think it's starting to click. Knowing why allows me to understand what I need to do rather than trying to apply changes not knowing if I am improving.

Let me know If I am wrong on any of this. I may have the point of tangency reversed. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

Be careful moving the ball back in your stance. It will most likely increase your angle of attack (the verticle angle your club is travelling when it strikes the ball), which will lower your launch angle and increase your spin. This can often lead to drives that start low, rise quickly due to spin and then drop. These don't go as far as high launch, lower spin drives.

Rather than moving the ball back, moving the point where your swing bottoms out forwards and swinging more in to out will give you much better results, although may take longer to acheive.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Be careful moving the ball back in your stance. It will most likely increase your angle of attack (the verticle angle your club is travelling when it strikes the ball), which will lower your launch angle and increase your spin. This can often lead to drives that start low, rise quickly due to spin and then drop. These don't go as far as high launch, lower spin drives.

Rather than moving the ball back, moving the point where your swing bottoms out forwards and swinging more in to out will give you much better results, although may take longer to acheive.

Thanks, That's what I meant to convey when I said move the ball back. I will start to work on this by setting up with the ball just forward of center, then move my weight forward moving the point of tangency forward. This will allow me to make contact towards the back of the circle, helping me to cut across the ball more in to out. But since this is new to me, this is easier said than done. But now that I know what to do, I will have to work on the path so it's not OTT.

Like I said, this is new to me so it will take a bit of work to get the path in to out, but since I have the ball behind the point of tangency, it should be easier to practice. Now if I could only get my weight more forward on the downswing and through impact. This is the piece I am having most trouble with. Will finishing with my hands high, instead of rolling the club over swinging around my left side, help?

Quote:
I am taking big divots

Seriously I think you are trying to change to much, I know it sounds weird but with all these changes you may be thinking to much.

I would take a step back and just work on getting a easy tempo'ed swing, you may be swinging to hard or tensing up which may be leading to the timing issues. When I have to much tension in my arms I tend to divot the ground. All the advise is really good, not knocking that, but it may be system overload. get that tempo'ed swing and see what.

Quote:
issues was accompanied by a drill

How I work on building my tempo is begin my back swing in low motion and swing in slow motion (full swing). I am conscious of my swing path and hip and shoulder rotation. I slowly speed up my swing keeping my arms and shoulders loose following the same swing path.

A madiscus(sp) club helps with this also.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Thanks for the advice. I think you may be right. I am taking in all of this new info and am trying to figure out the sequence in which to apply it. All the reading of ball flight laws (which really helped in understanding why i was getting the results I was getting), all the advice I'm getting here..etc..High handicapper ;-) I am slowing down the swing while trying to get the hip slide towards the target. Thats what I am working on at the moment. I will be taking a lesson soon to "interview" an instructor... Sorry for the format, on my cell phone.

Just an update. I played yesterday and had one of my better rounds.

Shot a 94.

My putting could still use some work (37 putts) and my short game.

Didn't pull my driver out once.

FIR was 54%.

GIR was only 17%

Here's the card:

2012-03-22_113626.jpg 1

Note: This thread is 4348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!