IGNORED

Where can you demo a brand new 2012 driver?

TheGolfAdvisor
Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to buy a new 2012 driver, but it's hard to spend the money if I can't actually see the ball flight. Furthermore, the brand new 2012 drivers at GS have to have masking tape on them, which screws up everything on the launch monitor. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you deal with this situation? Wouldn't being able to DEMO one or two new drivers on the course for a direct comparison solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

In the UK I'd take a look at American Golf (ironic huh?) for demoing a club on a launch monitor and without impact tape.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Go to golf manufacturers demo days at courses and clubs.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Have you looked around to see what driving ranges also have retail operations?    I can think of at least 4 here in the San Diego area that give you the opportunity to demo the new clubs outside.    I just did two separate fittings, one for irons, one for a driver, at one of them and I had an amazing choice of clubs to try out.     A lot of courses with pro shops also let you go try out clubs on the course or on their range as well; the selection will be more limited, but if they happen to carry what you're looking for that's also a good option.

• 1 month later...

Agree but I just find that you need to be a member of that particular club and then it really comes down to whether they have enough of a range to actually get to try out a number of models.

Why don't you call several of the Tucson public golf courses and ask them your questions?  There are probably 50 or so public courses within a 25 mile radius.  I'm sure several of them have ranges, with demo clubs you could hit.

I have done that to some extent already - predominantly in the Myrtle Beach area.  And have managed to get some clubs for a test drive...But often the range of clubs is not particularly good. And in reality few ranges/pro shops let you really test a model for any length of time

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by TheGolfAdvisor

I'm looking to buy a new 2012 driver, but it's hard to spend the money if I can't actually see the ball flight. Furthermore, the brand new 2012 drivers at GS have to have masking tape on them, which screws up everything on the launch monitor. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you deal with this situation? Wouldn't being able to DEMO one or two new drivers on the course for a direct comparison solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Probably a bit late to this thread but still relelvant to the new models that will come out in 2013.  It hink the easiest thing is to go to the manufacturer demo days...ya you won't be able to compare and contrast with other clubs but you will at least be able to get a "feel for the club.  I realize this is not as satisfactory as having a club and being able to play a bunch of rounds with it.  That would be a neat solution.  I sometimes ask friends who have new drivers etc. to borrow it for a few rounds just to see what it feels like.  I'll be in the market again early next year for the newer models but not quite sure how I am going to decide which one to get.

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance!

So what was your decision in the end given that we are coming into the season when the new 2013 drivers will be announced.  Curious to know whether you will take the same approach in 2013...

Any decent golf shop should have a launch monitor where you can try out a new driver and see the full ballflight.  If a shop expected me to drop $300 on a new driver and wouldnt allow me to try it out first, Id turn around, walk out the door and take my business elsewhere.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• 2 months later...

just actually received a ping anser from golfredefined and going to try the new 913 d3 in a couple of months from the same guys.  they allow, for a relatively small monthly amount, the option to demo a whole range of top golf drivers on their site.  great service so far and very happy with it.  unfortunately they don't do irons or putters (yet!) but a great way to find out which driver suits you best.  might be worth you checking it out.  they also have an option which i did not go for but to just rent 2 or more top golf drivers on a short term rental so you can try them out...

Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1

Hi James

I signed up with them as well a few months ago.  Got a callaway razr fit in my bag at the moment and going to wait for the new Nike VRS Covert to come out in due course.  Have you tried their rental only option at all?

Originally Posted by JamesTucker

just actually received a ping anser from golfredefined and going to try the new 913 d3 in a couple of months from the same guys.  they allow, for a relatively small monthly amount, the option to demo a whole range of top golf drivers on their site.  great service so far and very happy with it.  unfortunately they don't do irons or putters (yet!) but a great way to find out which driver suits you best.  might be worth you checking it out.  they also have an option which i did not go for but to just rent 2 or more top golf drivers on a short term rental so you can try them out...

shouldn't you be looking at 2013 now? :)

new models look great!

Thanks in advance!

I'm lucky that the private club where my dad works always has new gear before the release, so that's how I demo new stuff like drivers.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

I'm lucky that the private club where my dad works always has new gear before the release, so that's how I demo new stuff like drivers.

Do they always have all models?  or is it a pretty limited selection?  I find that the few pro shops I have access to don't always have the full range etc.

I mean what if you want to try say the new Titleist 913D2 but with stiff shaft and 9.5 degrees? do they have those options?

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!