IGNORED

Are most amateur golfers being mislead on how to swing?

Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Patrick,

Clicking "Quote" on a single post will add that post to the 'reply' box at the bottom of the page for you to reply to it.

Clicking "Multi" on several posts and then clicking "Quote" will add all of the posts you clicked "Multi" on to the 'reply' box at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for simplifying this for me.

Quote:
You also wrote,
Incidentally what makes your instruction/book any different to teachers like Shawn Clement and what makes you think people will pay attention to what you're saying if your demonstration is more of a "do as I say, not as I do"?

Did I offer this book to you?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick,

If you truly coach 8-12 hours per day, then you've got students who must be getting better or they wouldn't come back.  But you can't really keep students coming back just standing back, giving off the air of a braggart with an inflated self-importance, and saying over and over again, "Just swing natural.  Don't try to swing like a pro."  That's what you're representing as your approach from your posts here.

One of the main reasons there are so many dedicated users of this forum is that Erik and the other pros and knowledgable scratch or near-scratch players here both recognize and make clear they don't want to impose a one size fits all swing on every user or student (along the lines of, though in a less annoying way than, your "swing natural" mantra), but also ACTUALLY SHARE real information about the commonalities in the swings of successful players, both in general summary form (see pretty much any thread mvmac has started in the past 6 months, and many Erik has started), and in response to user swing video threads.

You keep avoiding actually saying anything useful or even not particularly useful but at least specific enough so that readers can have any idea what the gist of what you're actually advocating is.  All of us already know we don't swing like pros, or we'd be making 6-7 figures playing golf.  You keep saying we shouldn't even try to make our own personal best approximation of a "pro" swing.  What should we do then?  "Swing natural" followed by some circular umbrage taking is NOT an answer!

And Erik, I wondered where my avatar came from!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Patrick57

Did I offer this book to you?

I don't think you did... I didn't see you offer the book to him... but what does that have to do with the question he asked?  Why do you get defensive when asked about your instructional methods or what you teach? If you truly teach for 10-12 hours a day, these should be simple questions to answer.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Soccer players don't approach a ball instructing themselves verbally to get their right knee in front of the ball with their weight over a flat left foot and then follow through in this position. They do it all more naturally, with feeling not words. I probably shouldn't have tried to then convey my message at the end of the original post and instead left the argument open.

There is actually a lot of technique in kicking a football, for instance when I take a freekick I have to tell my self to keep my head down, place my other foot exactly besides the ball and kick the ball at a exact location with my foot bent so I can get a curl on the ball. If you would just run up and kick it it wouldn't get you far.

I stick by my concept...

"It's nice to be nice!"

I have also been told not to sign off with 'Sincerely yours' so I won't. I don't want to be offending anyone.

Well, that's interesting coming from a guy that has said the following in a very short amount of time here:

"Too many people on the happy pills on this forum"

Come to... and I'll whip your ass"

Sarcastically saying you didn't realize how many "brilliant golfers" there were on here

Calling a moderator a "Sarcastic Clown"

Telling another poster to "Smarten Up!"

Yes, it's nice to be nice....  What a concept...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Biggi

There is actually a lot of technique in kicking a football, for instance when I take a freekick I have to tell my self to keep my head down, place my other foot exactly besides the ball and kick the ball at a exact location with my foot bent so I can get a curl on the ball. If you would just run up and kick it it wouldn't get you far.

Yes, its called concentration. But you don't get too technical with the verbal commands.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Well, that's interesting coming from a guy that has said the following in a very short amount of time here:

"Too many people on the happy pills on this forum"

Come to... and I'll whip your ass"

Sarcastically saying you didn't realize how many "brilliant golfers" there were on here

Calling a moderator a "Sarcastic Clown"

Telling another poster to "Smarten Up!"

Yes, it's nice to be nice....  What a concept...

Is that all you could find from the thousands of words I have written. It doesn't seem that bad. There are two sides to all of these quotes and as you have only quoted my side, of course its going to look a little as if I am to blame. I would go and collect the other side of the conversations but truly feel I have no case to answer. Do you always pick on newbies like this?

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I don't think you did... I didn't see you offer the book to him... but what does that have to do with the question he asked?  Why do you get defensive when asked about your instructional methods or what you teach? If you truly teach for 10-12 hours a day, these should be simple questions to answer.

I offered my book to one poster, if he wants to ask me anything about the book I will gladly answer. I don't hand my book out to just anyone.

Originally Posted by mdl

Patrick,

you can't really keep students coming back just standing back, giving off the air of a braggart with an inflated self-importance, and saying over and over again, "Just swing natural.  Don't try to swing like a pro."  That's what you're representing as your approach from your posts here.

You keep avoiding actually saying anything useful or even not particularly useful but at least specific enough so that readers can have any idea what the gist of what you're actually advocating is.  All of us already know we don't swing like pros, or we'd be making 6-7 figures playing golf.  You keep saying we shouldn't even try to make our own personal best approximation of a "pro" swing.  What should we do then?  "Swing natural" followed by some circular umbrage taking is NOT an answer!

Unfortunately you haven't understood my OP or you didn't even bother to read it. You're so far off the mark, I feel as if I am reading about someone else.

Is that all you could find from the thousands of words I have written. It doesn't seem that bad. There are two sides to all of these quotes and as you have only quoted my side, of course its going to look a little as if I am to blame. I would go and collect the other side of the conversations but truly feel I have no case to answer. Do you always pick on newbies like this?

Yep, that's it.  2 days and <30 posts, and that's all I got.  Yeah, nevermind, that's only about 20% of your posts.  I guess you are just a nice guy.

No, I don't pick on anyone.  I had an opinion about your demeanor and your purpose here, as did others.  You have shown you have a problem with others opinions, which makes me question your participation here even more.

Unfortunately you haven't understood my OP or you didn't even bother to read it. You're so far off the mark, I feel as if I am reading about someone else.

So far all I believe you've offered is a sack of magic beans....

Originally Posted by Gresh24

You have shown you have a problem with others opinions, which makes me question your participation here even more.

I enjoy constructive criticism like anyone but to go through all of my posts for a couple of little dodgy snippets is a little sad on your part. I have a new concept just for you...

"Get a life!"

I enjoy constructive criticism like anyone but to go through all of my posts for a couple of little dodgy snippets is a little sad on your part. I have a new concept just for you...

"Get a life!"

It took me a hundredth of the time to read TWO threads and find all that, as it did for you to post your first post.

You questioned and defended my opinion that you were being a condescending prick.  So, I thought I'd point out why I reached that conclusion.

You've got to be the worst spammer I've ever seen on a message board.

Question for Iacas: Is this drivel eligible for Kickstarter of the Month award consideration? LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

We used to call this trolling in another forum I was in, basically post something to get everyone fired up. I thought it was going to be a interesting subject, guess not.

Big T out

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

• Administrator

I am a little surprised at the rudeness directed towards new posters but I am told that is pack and parcel of what to expect.

You've dished out more inappropriate posts and rudeness as one person than has been directed back at you by several people.

Originally Posted by mdl

And Erik, I wondered where my avatar came from!

Yeah, I typically do a google image search on people's usernames and then use an appropriate image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MDL-100,907_structure.png

I wish more people would choose avatars because it really helps people get to know them, but many don't. :P Obviously you're more than welcome to change it. :)

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Question for Iacas: Is this drivel eligible for Kickstarter of the Month award consideration? LOL.

Members in the Penalty Box are ineligible for awards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, I typically do a google image search on people's usernames and then use an appropriate image. [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MDL-100,907_structure.png]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MDL-100,907_structure.png[/URL]

:doh: That makes more sense. I just assumed he was really into chemistry.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!