IGNORED

Reverse Overlap Grip for Full Swing?

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Soooo .. . . Underlap grip?

I want to leave work right now and go try this. I am going to try this with a broom if I can find one. I am a very handsy golfer and I am looking for ways to stop. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/6/2017 at 9:23 PM, Runnin said:

You must have been watching me swing. 

I think he's watched >100s of thousands of swings to get to that level of golf cognizance. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 7 months later...

I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for everyone but it’s working very nicely for me. I’m three years removed from a stroke and still have about 25% reduction in feeling on my right side. I had to completely relearn the entire game. My main issue was the grip. By using the reverse overlap for all clubs, it allows me more control by just being able to utilize all five fingers on my right hand. If other golfers recovering from strokes are having a grip issue, they may wish to experiment with the reverse overlap. It’s not just for putting. I’m 63and not a long ball hitter off the tee. With the reverse overlap my absolute maximum distance is 260 yards. I’m enjoying the game and that’s what counts. 

• 1 year later...

Being a 60 year old "newbie" to the game I just came across this piece and am so relieved to know that what I am doing instinctively is not considered completely wrong!  I follow Malaska and Luczak, both of whom seem to stress the importance of right hand feel (right hand hacker) in the golf swing. Seems easier to control the club face with this grip, it feels much more natural to me, AND it is much easier on my arthritic finger joints. 

• iacas changed the title to Reverse Overlap Grip for Full Swing?

Good Lord.  The things some folks will do. 

Playing with a frankengrip to fix a frankenswing is like fixing a flat front left tire to even out the flat front right tire.

• 3 months later...

Over the years I've tried just about every grip in the book and even some you won't find either. I tried the reverse overlap some 15-20 years ago but like others, I found the right hand little finger was getting crushed,  So hence the experimenting.

I found Jordan Speith's grip very similar to the Reverse Overlap but the subtle difference is that he pushes the tip of his right little finger between the index finger and the second finger of the left hand and overlaps the second finger of the right hand.

Unfortunately, he has fallen out of sorts lately and tends to spray his drives down the fairway finding allsorts of trouble.  Well with this layoff I've had the opportunity to revisit this Reverse Overlap and by gripping the club with the right hand first so the grip runs through the base of the finger joints next to the palm and then bring the left hand to the club so that the grip runs through the valley of the fingers when curled and over lap the little and ring finger on the right hand then the little finger is not being put under pressure at all from the knuckle joint of the left hand which was crushing the end of my right little finger.

My course opened on Saturday 16/05 and I played my first game in nine weeks. The grip lasted throughout the round without any discomfort at all and the drives we straight and iron shots sweet.  I went out again yesterday and beat the Seniors captain and again everything was working well.

I might add that I've adopted the Stack & Tilt method but that's another story.

• 9 months later...

I was interested in this as this was my natural grip when I first started playing, but was convinced it’s the wrong grip and went to the Vardon. I came back to golf after a 20 year layoff and have recently rediscovered the reverse overlap. I recently saw the film about Tom Morris Jnr. He was probably the greatest golfer of his time, but we really know very little about how he played. I noticed on the memorial to Tommy at St Andrew’s that he used a reverse overlap grip! It was made in 1878 3 years after he died at the age of 24, so I would think his father Tom Morris who knew his game intimately would have ensured his grip was correct when the sculpture was made. So in reality the reverse overlap called be called the Tom Morris grip. What do you think?

59 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sorry, but can someone show me what the hell a reverse overlap grip is? Thanks.

rory1.jpg

A surprising amount of golfers don't know what a reverse overlap putting grip is. Here's the rundown on the grip that Tiger and Rory use.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:
rory1.jpg

A surprising amount of golfers don't know what a reverse overlap putting grip is. Here's the rundown on the grip that Tiger and Rory use.

Just to be clear, Tiger and Rory use the interlocking grip for full swing. They use reverse overlap for putting.

A02B9087-B392-46D1-8418-62CF18CDB18D.jpeg
AB973930-1B38-4C18-B78B-B74592683A03.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Having replied to this comment nine years ago and a couple of times since then, I have gone on and studied the grips of a number of golfers on the television as they recover from the follow through after hitting the ball.

There is definitely evidence that some use some sort of a grip that does not have the left index and left pinky fully interlocked.  I mentioned in one of my past posts that Jordan Speith used a form of overlap and I assumed that all fingers on the right hand gripped the club.  His left index finger overlapped the right ring finger so much that the left index overshot the top knuckle.  That meant he had a weak left hand grip but a strong right hand grip.  Some pundits said that attributed to his inaccuracy in his shots.  At some point I noticed tha his little finger, or pinky, slightly protruded between his index and second finger.  Hardly noticable but it was so.

As I mentioned in a past post and having studied other players' grip, it was obvious that not all players not using the Vardon grip and not a full interlock like Tiger actually have a form of Reverse Overlap.   Like Brooks Koepka, I have fine tuned the way I grip the club.  Right hand on the club first but leaving the pinky pointing straight out.  Left hand on allowing the left index to rest on the valley between right ring finger and pinky.  Right pinky poking out between the left index and second finger sitting on the fleshy part of the knuckle area. 

I'm left handed but always gripped a cricket bat as though right handed and held a squash racket in the right hand.  By resting the left index on the valley between right pinky and ring finger I find it a comfortable & neutral grip.  I also wear two gloves.

Edited by Wessex
misspelt accuracy instead of inaccuracy

I tried it out full swing and it is not for me. It definitely makes the swing a right hand dominant motion - which is no good for my game. Slice city. I need the right hand more under the club in a stronger position with a 2-3 knuckle left (lead) hand more on top. So a classic strong vardon grip with a flat to bowed left wrist at top and through the ball. It is not the most comfortable grip for me (a classic weak grip is my natural tendency and feels better - but is flippy and inconsistent) but it is the only way I can play consistent golf and keep the face square at impact. 

Edited by DavidM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!