IGNORED

Hypocrites on the golf course

saevel25
Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by saevel25

So basically if i am going to the golf course i am screwed if i am going to enjoy the day or not. Thats a great way to promote the game, Hey kids, you want to play golf, well better not get your hopes up, your playing with the ******* today. Un Huh that makes perfect sense.

When i mean, "What about my right to play a round of golf the way i want to play." I don't mean in a sense were i would just walk all over the course, or play outside sportsmanship of the game. I am talking about, if i have the option, i should have the right to pick who i should play with. Like i said before, if the course is full, i don't have that option. If the course is open, i should.

Sure, you can pick who you want to play with, if you have a foursome.  Beyond that, you take who you get, that's life and that's golf.  Since it wasn't busy, you could've golfed by yourself, if you had let the other guy go ahead of you, since it was his teebox.  Of course, then if the next group gets done with the 9th and you are ready to tee-off, then you will need to let them go through.  Basically, what you have to realize is that if you are playing 9 holes and teeing off on the back-9, you should be prepared to play with someone else.  Given that you are walking, most of the time you can 'be by yourself' anyway.

If you want to golf by yourself, no questions asked,  I suggest you PAY for a foursome and get a special sign made and attach it to your bag that says, "I paid for a foursome, please leave me alone".

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

But, if he was coming from the 9th green while you were teeing off on the 10th, then yes, it is his teebox and you are 'cutting' in.

The OP stated they were on the 9th tee when he teed off the 10th. Either the OP was slower than he thought he was or the other guy saw his intentions and rushed the 9th hole in order to join him.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Beyond that, you take who you get, that's life and that's golf.

I completely agree, but I can see the appeal in not wanting to join up. I've been grouped with everything from first timers to guys trying to sell me xanax on nice private courses... I mean no disrespect to first time golfers, there's a major learning curve to this game, but it makes for an awkward game on a really busy day with someone you don't know. I do think it's obligatory to join up if requested regardless of how much a person wants to play alone.

However, I don't think there's any excuse for lobbing a drive over someone. That sort of person shouldn't be allowed on any course. That's egregiously disrespectful, not to mention, taking a drive to the head is pretty much a death shot.

If he wanted to play through then he could have asked to play through. All he asked was if he wanted to join up. Like i said, at the time i didn't know there was a courtesy to those who were on the 9th tee to have the right to the 10th tee. Its the first time i ever faced that situation. Next time i will allow the group, or person the right to go first, then i will catch up and play through on a later hole. But the guy did nothing to show he was interested in playing through, until he hit into me and came after me on the final green. If he would have said to me as i was walking by, "Hey your suppose to let me play through, i had honors." I would have waited on my 2nd shot, let him go, and then continued on. But he didn't, so how was I suppose to know in that situation, when thats the first time i have ever encountered that before. I was ignorant of that aspect of conduct on the golf course. Now i am not.

But i still claim that if the golf course is open, and the starter doesn't require me to pair up with someone, i shouldn't be required to have to pair up with him because he wants to. If the starter was on the 10th tee, and the back side was more packed, and said, "Hey you got to pair with this guy," Then i would have.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As everyone has stated, hitting into someone is never the right thing to do.  That said, golf is a social game, there are limited resources and there is an etiquette that should be followed.  Basically you rejected the guys offer to pair up and didn't feel he warranted an explanation so in that sense you probably left him with a poor impression of you and annoyed.  He was likely trying to catch up to you the entire time but didn't get the chance til the end when he decided to let you know how he felt.  Depending on where you live, it might not be uncommon to play as a single, here on Long Island it's almost impossible.  The Starter usually won't allow groups of less than 2 out, and usually want you to wait for a 4 some unless it's a really slow day.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

The OP stated they were on the 9th tee when he teed off the 10th. Either the OP was slower than he thought he was or the other guy saw his intentions and rushed the 9th hole in order to join him.

My mistake, I misread this.  After reading it again, I can picture it better.  The other group was teeing off on number 9 and the OP was teeing off on number 10 and passed each other on the way to their balls (9th fairway running parallel to the 10th).  If this is the case, then the OP was fine in the teeing off and not waiting.  He was also fine in playing be himself as the teebox was entirely open and he was not cutting in.  I usually pair up whenever I go out and play, but in this case I probably would've played by myself also.  Actually, I think the other guy was in poor form to ask to pair up as it would've taken him 10-20 minutes to get there, which in golf terms can seem like an eternity.

I still think that most times on the golf course, you just play with who you get paired with when you go as a single and you learn to enjoy the obscure pairings that arise.

I wonder if some of the other, 'harsher' posters also misread this in the OP's original posting?  My apologies to the OP for my mistake.

Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Originally Posted by saevel25

Like i said, at the time i didn't know there was a courtesy to those who were on the 9th tee to have the right to the 10th tee.

Nope, you were fine.  They only have a right to the 10th tee if they are on the 9th GREEN!  If they are on the 9th TEE, then you are fine.

I understand that there are times when you want to play as a single... I sometimes bring my wife out with me as a rider and it's nice when it's just the two of us...  Obviously when it's busy we join up with others and it's not a big deal by any means, but if we have the option to be alone all the better.  The other day we did this and it happened to be a really dead at the course.  We ran into a twosome on #6 and were asked if we'd like to join which I declined because having my wife with me I didn't really care if we got slowed down or not.  There have been other times where I've be scheduled to go out as a single with her as a rider and they'll be a walk-on at the last minute with nobody else behind us... in that case I'll either pair up with the walk-on or offer to let them go off first.  I'd rather let the other guy through and possibly be held up rather than being the one holding everybody else up.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by iacas

In as plain a language as I can say it, "you have no such right."

Actually, he does.  He was afforded this right by the course.  They allowed him to play by himself and did not instruct him to join anyone else.  They also gave him permission to go off #10 tee.  He teed off #10 as the other guy teed off #9.  That doesn't make the tee box the other guy's.  As I read it, they passed as he was going towards #10 green and the other guy was going towards #9 green.  He indicated the course was open and he didn't hit any traffic until #17.  Even then the guy didn't catch him until he launched a ball over his head on 18 as he was walking to his drive.

I call courses a lot and tell them I'm by myself.  I usually ask if they've got someone I can join.  Sometimes, they tell me the course is open and I can go off alone if I want.  If the course extends to you the right to go off by yourself and the right to go off the back 9 and there is no one coming off the 9th green, then you're where you are supposed to be doing what you are supposed to be doing.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by BugDude

Actually, he does. He was afforded this right by the course. They allowed him to play by himself and did not instruct him to join anyone else.

I define "rights" differently. If a "right" can be provoked when someone in the pro shop changes his mind or realizes he made a mistake, it's not a "right."

Rights are the types of things written about in the Constitution, and people often think they have "rights" when what they really mean is that they have "permission" or a "privilege" or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  If happiness to him is to play by himself and the course affords him the opportunity to do so, then he has every right and permission to proceed.

• Administrator

He has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  If happiness to him is to play by himself and the course affords him the opportunity to do so, then he has every right and permission to proceed.

Not even close, no. Your right to pursue happiness does not include doing things which limit someone else's right to do the same, no. As they say, my right to wave my arms around ends at the tip of your nose. His right to "pursuit of happiness" ends when he enters private property and must obey their rules. Again, that's not a right. It's a privilege.

So now that we've fully explored that little nuance of the post, let's get back to discussing the post as a whole, please.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's the whole point.  He was not infringing upon anyone else's right or priviledge.  He didn't just arbitrarily jump in front of someone, he was authorized to play alone and start on 10 (by the private property owner).  He was within their rules, so he was within his rights to play alone.  He had no obligation to wait for the guy to complete #9 (when they were both on the tee box) in order to allow him to join in with him.  Based on course load, he had the right to decline his request.  If the course told him he had to join in with a group, if they told him to wait for that group to make the turn, or if he was holding up play then he would not have the right or authorization (whatever you want to call it).

• Administrator

That's the whole point.  He was not infringing upon anyone else's right or priviledge.  He didn't just arbitrarily jump in front of someone, he was authorized to play alone and start on 10 (by the private property owner).  He was within their rules, so he was within his rights to play alone.  He had no obligation to wait for the guy to complete #9 (when they were both on the tee box) in order to allow him to join in with him.  Based on course load, he had the right to decline his request.  If the course told him he had to join in with a group, if they told him to wait for that group to make the turn, or if he was holding up play then he would not have the right or authorization (whatever you want to call it).

I'm not really interested in discussing it with you further. I read a little bit of a sense of entitlement with the talk about "it's my right!" It's not a right, and again, I define it differently than you, because he's on private property, and "rights" in my mind can't be revoked because someone in the pro shop makes a mistake or changes his mind. So no, not a "right" in my mind.

You seem to be in the minority in feeling that he did nothing wrong, and that's fine, but we're done discussing the issue of whether that's a "right" or not. Again, back to the larger topic as a whole, please.

He must not have been a whole hole behind you since he was able to hit into/over you. I don't condone that act at all, but you aren't fault-less here either. That's all anyone's saying. You unwillingly titled the thread perfectly.

Quote:

Since he was making the turn, You should have asked him if you could have joined him. A guy making the turn should have the right to the tee. Saying that,he has no right to hit into you. The way I see it, both of you showed poor etiquette.

Quote:

I agree with all of that.

If he was able to "catch you" enough to hit into you on the ninth hole, he couldn't have been that far behind.

Eric, please go back and read the OPs post, before continuing to jump down this guy's throat.

After re-reading the OPs post, he did nothing wrong, except maybe be a little to direct when he said he didn't want to pair up with the guy.  The guys was not 'making the turn', he was on the TEE on the 9th hole when the OP was teeing off on the 10th hole.  They passed each other in the fairway on the way to their balls to hit their 2nd shots.  'Making the turn' would have been on the 9th green or just walking off the 9th green.  Also, as the OP stated, he caught up to a group on 17 and had to wait, which led to the other guy catching up a bit, so this led to the other guy now being on the teebox shortly after he teed off on #18.  Being that it was the last hole, the other guy should've just waited out the few minutes and not acted like a jerk and hit into him.

• Administrator

After re-reading the OPs post, he did nothing wrong, except maybe be a little to direct when he said he didn't want to pair up with the guy.

I disagree, as others do, that he "did nothing wrong." I also disagreed with the bit about his "rights."

Time to move on.

Question to the TS. Is the 9th hole a par 3, 4 or 5?

At my home course, our 9th hole is a 175-yard par 3. You are allowed to go off the 10th (par 4) if there is nobody on the 9th hole . Obviously, this rule is broken constantly but at least there is a sign on the 10th tee making it very clear who has preference.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

If one guy is on #9 tee with a group, and the other guy is by himself, with an open course, is on #10 tee, then the guy on #10 should at least be leaving # 10 green by the time the guy on #9 gets to #10 tee. If the guy on #10 is still in the fairway in the time that it takes guy on #9,with a group, to play#9,and get to #10 tee,than the guy that teed off on #10 is indeed holding up the guy behind him. If I had a one hole head start,with an open course ahead of me, the guy behind me would never see me.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!