IGNORED

Fix your ball mark +1

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Epic

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

You still have to stop and fix a ball mark, which takes usually about 30 seconds.  Sorry but if I had to wait an extra 30 seconds per hole (in addition to whatever else people do that wastes time on the course), that would be a course that I would choose not to spend my time and money at.

As far as common courtesy, Id say fixing ball marks is what you pay your greenskeepers for.

Honestly, the only way that I would fix someone else's ball mark is if its in my putting line.  Other than that...not my problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You still have to stop and fix a ball mark, which takes usually about 30 seconds.  Sorry but if I had to wait an extra 30 seconds per hole (in addition to whatever else people do that wastes time on the course), that would be a course that I would choose not to spend my time and money at.

As far as common courtesy, Id say fixing ball marks is what you pay your greenskeepers for.

Honestly, the only way that I would fix someone else's ball mark is if its in my putting line.  Other than that...not my problem.

I have met a few of you...

Look its one thing when you just forget, maybe a very high capper who rarely hits a medium/long shot right on the green, but his attitude is just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by benredik

I have met a few of you...

• Administrator

Are you fo realz?

Wow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Are you fo realz?

Wow.

I know...I can do one in 10 seconds, 15 with the full pat down.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

That is the most personally revealing comment I have read in several years on this site. I am staggered. I almost feel sick. Really.

What a shameful, appallingly arrogant and basically "wrong" way to look at things.

If that was the greenkeepers' job, they had have time for little else. And because they'd doing it hours or days after it happend the ball marks take up to ten times as long to repair.

And if it takes you 30 seconds to repair a ball mark, you need a lesson.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You still have to stop and fix a ball mark, which takes usually about 30 seconds.  Sorry but if I had to wait an extra 30 seconds per hole (in addition to whatever else people do that wastes time on the course), that would be a course that I would choose not to spend my time and money at. As far as common courtesy, Id say fixing ball marks is what you pay your greenskeepers for. Honestly, the only way that I would fix someone else's ball mark is if its in my putting line.  Other than that...not my problem.

I am glad that you can freely admit that you are part of the problem and not the solution. You do not have to worry about spending money at my course because you would not be welcome. I have yet to be paired with someone that does not follow the fix + 1 theory at my home course. Our typical weekend peak time around lasts 3:45 - 4 hours with tournaments stretching to 4:15 ( and that is with a shotgun start with 2 groups on more than half the holes)

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

A mark fixed properly within the first hour of it's creation heals up to 10 times faster than one fixed outside of the one hour window. Make no mistake, it is the golfers responsibility and duty to fix their ball marks, to ensure the course be left in the best condition possible for their fellow members, as well as for their own future rounds. The USGA feels so strongly about this issue that it is addressed in Section 1 of the "Rules of Golf".

patterson.jpg

Originally Posted by meenman

I am glad that you can freely admit that you are part of the problem and not the solution. You do not have to worry about spending money at my course because you would not be welcome.

I have yet to be paired with someone that does not follow the fix + 1 theory at my home course.

Our typical weekend peak time around lasts 3:45 - 4 hours with tournaments stretching to 4:15 ( and that is with a shotgun start with 2 groups on more than half the holes)

I don't understand.  If everyone at your course fixes their ball mark plus another where are all these unfixed marks coming from?  I agree with the theory but when you make a statement that cannot possibly be true it takes away from your post.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Originally Posted by mad max

I agree with the theory but when you make a statement that cannot possibly be true it takes away from your post.

He said he has yet to be paired with someone who doesn't fix theirs as well as those of others. He doesn't play with scumbags who think it's someone else's job.

At my course I pick up several beer bottles each round and put them in the bin. I have yet to play with someone who puts them next to trees in the rough.

I find the "fixes my ball mark before I get a chance to as if I wasn't going to do it" guy condescending and annoying. But I've never play with "refuses to fix anyone else's ball mark" guy and I don't know how I'd react to that.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Shorty

He said he has yet to be paired with someone who doesn't fix theirs as well as those of others. He doesn't play with scumbags who think it's someone else's job.

At my course I pick up several beer bottles each round and put them in the bin. I have yet to play with someone who puts them next to trees in the rough.

I could see if he said his usual foursome but he said people he gets paired with.  I know I have been paired with people that forget or don't bother to fix their marks and if I notice I will repair it for them and take my time doing it and that usually fixes the problem, but to make a blanket statement that you have never played with someone on your home course that not only fixes their mark but fixes another strikes me as not true and exaggerating to make a point.  When I see something like this it makes me take everything that person says with a grain of salt.  I know I have forgotten or not been able to find my mark before as I am sure almost everyone else here has as well.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I find the "fixes my ball mark before I get a chance to as if I wasn't going to do it" guy condescending and annoying. But I've never play with "refuses to fix anyone else's ball mark" guy and I don't know how I'd react to that.

I know what you mean, just to clarify I give someone ample time to fix it.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I could see if he said his usual foursome but he said people he gets paired with.  I know I have been paired with people that forget or don't bother to fix their marks and if I notice I will repair it for them and take my time doing it and that usually fixes the problem, but to make a blanket statement that you have never played with someone on your home course that not only fixes their mark but fixes another strikes me as not true and exaggerating to make a point.  When I see something like this it makes me take everything that person says with a grain of salt.  I know I have forgotten or not been able to find my mark before as I am sure almost everyone else here has as well.

*yet to be paired with* would be a correct statement. The only drawback with my club is that they own 13-14 courses which gives everyone reciprocal priveleges. There a few scumbags from the other courses that act like it is their public course, they do not get to play during peak times, so I would not have been paired up with them. Most of our membership has been through the course closing for a few months for green repairs and do everything in their power to not have to go through it again. There are still golfers out there that take pride in their course.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Im all for fixing your own ball mark but fix 1 that isnt your's?  That would slow down play too much.

Well, I guess if you're trying to get in 18 holes in under an hour...

I always fix as many as I can find, especially when I'm paired up with someone I don't know.  When they ask me why I'm fixing so many, I explain the yours plus one and how it winds up being mine plus five or ten because people don't fix any.

Guilt is a great motivator.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

That is the most personally revealing comment I have read in several years on this site. I am staggered. I almost feel sick. Really.

What a shameful, appallingly arrogant and basically "wrong" way to look at things.

If that was the greenkeepers' job, they had have time for little else. And because they'd doing it hours or days after it happend the ball marks take up to ten times as long to repair.

And if it takes you 30 seconds to repair a ball mark, you need a lesson.

Perhaps it cultural - as someone alluded to earlier in this thread.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Perhaps it cultural - as someone alluded to earlier in this thread.

Some kind of Columbus, Ohio thing? LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!