IGNORED

Fix your ball mark +1

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always repair ball marks on the green and replace your divots. If your divot explodes into a million pieces, then it's obviously hard to do. Also, like the link suggests, get yourself a proper divot repair tool. Tee's don't cut it. This is the basics folks.

Always repair ball marks on the green and replace your divots. If your divot explodes into a million pieces, then it's obviously hard to do. Also, like the link suggests, get yourself a proper divot repair tool. Tee's don't cut it. This is the basics folks.

In SoFla, land of the exploding turf, we sand those divots!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by meenman

*yet to be paired with* would be a correct statement. The only drawback with my club is that they own 13-14 courses which gives everyone reciprocal priveleges. There a few scumbags from the other courses that act like it is their public course, they do not get to play during peak times, so I would not have been paired up with them.

Most of our membership has been through the course closing for a few months for green repairs and do everything in their power to not have to go through it again.

There are still golfers out there that take pride in their course.

Sorry my mistake.  When I saw "paired with" I thought of my own experiences at my local San Francisco Bay area public courses.  Where you never know what you are going to get.  I didn't think of semi private courses where the members have the ability to play at different times than the general public.  Again I apologize and know that you have explained it it makes perfect sense.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

• Administrator

I played nine holes today. I kept count and didn't fix any ball marks I wouldn't normally fix. I ended up fixing 42 ball marks. Some required just a couple of taps with the putter, some required use of the tool.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just read the earlier posted link and, well, I'm an idiot, I still use a tee.  Whoops.  Guess my next "What did you purchase on your last trip to the golf store" post will be a repair tool.

One question though:  I get that you aren't supposed to "pry up" the types of ball marks he's referring to in the link - the big ones where you rip the turf a bit - but what about on shorter pitch shots on harder greens that literally just leaves an indentation, can't I just pry that depression back up?  It sure looks like the rest of the green around it afterwards.

Originally Posted by anthony

The link provided earlier includes some doctored photos, false scenarios, and poor grammar. Yet sadly in spite of its flawed absolutes that only one kind of ball mark repair tool can possibly do a proper job, it's the best thing posted in this thread.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

You still have to stop and fix a ball mark, which takes usually about 30 seconds.  Sorry but if I had to wait an extra 30 seconds per hole (in addition to whatever else people do that wastes time on the course), that would be a course that I would choose not to spend my time and money at.

As far as common courtesy, Id say fixing ball marks is what you pay your greenskeepers for.

Honestly, the only way that I would fix someone else's ball mark is if its in my putting line.  Other than that...not my problem.

Wow.    Just wow.     In the history of golf internet forums, this has to be one of the most self centered, ignorant, and inconsiderate posts ever written.    Apparently "Forum Leader" doesn't have anything to do with upholding the basic etiquette or being a proponent for the most basic of courtesies.     Please, please, say you were just joking  and somehow the sarcasm missed us.    Otherwise.......wow.

• Upvote 1

Edited my original post: Tool, not toll.

Good to see I'm not the only guy who finds this annoying.  So many people pick up the game, but have no idea of the proper etiquette required.  If you work for a golf course, are a parent, coach or just an average joe playing on the weekend, and you see a beginner golfer... Do everyone a favor and show them how to repair a ball mark.  Or explain to them the importance of repairing the ball mark on the green - should you notice they aren't doing it.

• Upvote 1

1. Instruct golfers on how to properly repair a ball mark on the green
[It's not lack of knowledge.]
2. Provide all golfers with a free tool to repair ball marks
[It's not because they can't afford a repair tool.]
3. Ask that all golfers repair their mark + another mark on each and every green
[That assumes they give a damn.  Repairing ball marks is what others are supposed to do.]

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by iacas

I played nine holes today. I kept count and didn't fix any ball marks I wouldn't normally fix. I ended up fixing 42 ball marks. Some required just a couple of taps with the putter, some required use of the tool.

And I'll bet nobody made any comment about slowing the pace of play. Because it didn't.

They probably wouldn't have even noticed unless you told them what you were doing.

Am I right? Thought so.

I did the same this morning, didn't count,  but was thinking about how little time it took and how idiotic it is to think that it slows down play.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You still have to stop and fix a ball mark, which takes usually about 30 seconds.  Sorry but if I had to wait an extra 30 seconds per hole (in addition to whatever else people do that wastes time on the course), that would be a course that I would choose not to spend my time and money at.

As far as common courtesy, Id say fixing ball marks is what you pay your greenskeepers for.

Honestly, the only way that I would fix someone else's ball mark is if its in my putting line.  Other than that...not my problem.

Wow, how precious are you?

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

I always fix mine plus one or more other marks if it won't interfere with the other players or slow things down.  I can usually do three or four in less the a minute while someone is lining up their putt without disturbing them.

I just don't see how you could not fix at least your own pitch mark.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You not fixing YOUR ball marks (because it's "the greenskeeper's job) becomes MY problem if I'm reading you right.  30 seconds X 18 holes = 9 minutes.  And I thought that I was pressed for time.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

You not fixing YOUR ball marks (because it's "the greenskeeper's job) becomes MY problem if I'm reading you right.  30 seconds X 18 holes = 9 minutes.  And I thought that I was pressed for time.

You misunderstand.  Im fine with fixing MY ball mark.  However, Im not about to spend my, "free time" on the course fixing random ball marks.  If everyone simply fixed their own mark, it wouldnt be an issue.  What I take exception to is that suggestion that we all should fix other peoples' ball marks.  Sorry, not my job and not my problem (unless its in my putting line).  I mean, whats next?  The green keeper leaving me the keys to the mower and me being expected to mow the greens or the fairways if I notice theyre getting a bit shaggy?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I still think that it shouldn't add any time to the round and would improve the condition of the greens if everyone would simply take a few seconds while walking to their ball to fix another mark.  It doesn't have to add time if it's done while others are getting ready to putt.  I guess "common courtesy" is pretty uncommon these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

You misunderstand.  Im fine with fixing MY ball mark.  However, Im not about to spend my, "free time" on the course fixing random ball marks.  If everyone simply fixed their own mark, it wouldnt be an issue.  What I take exception to is that suggestion that we all should fix other peoples' ball marks.  Sorry, not my job and not my problem (unless its in my putting line).  I mean, whats next?  The green keeper leaving me the keys to the mower and me being expected to mow the greens or the fairways if I notice theyre getting a bit shaggy?

Recent posters may have misinterpreted your comment, but I think the first few guys who were disappointed had read it correctly. Peer pressure is a huge motivator in golf. I wonder how many less experienced players see you only fixing your own mark while ignoring other ball marks and then don't even bother looking for their own ball mark later. "Hey, that's way easier!"

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Most of the others did not misunderstand - this is why people like me only play private courses and why people like you are letting the public courses go to hell.

Next time you are in a cross walk when the walk sign is red, I have every right to run you over because it is not my *job* to teach you common sense.

You may as well build your own course because that is the only place you belong playing,

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Most of the others did not misunderstand - this is why people like me only play private courses and why people like you are letting the public courses go to hell.

Next time you are in a cross walk when the walk sign is red, I have every right to run you over because it is not my *job* to teach you common sense.

You may as well build your own course because that is the only place you belong playing,

His comment regarding others ball marks being "the greenskeepers job" notwithstanding, I think you are being a tad harsh here.  You do realize that if everybody did exactly what he says he does (fix his own ball mark), there would not be a problem??

It's not the people like him that are letting the courses go to hell, its those who don't repair their own ball marks.

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!