IGNORED

Should Ernie Els Get a Masters Invitation?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Ernie get an invite to the Masters?

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

The masters wasn't classed as a major until the late 50s early 60s as was the PGA Championship It is difficult to determine when the definition changed to include the current four tournaments, although many trace it to Arnold Palmer's 1960 season, when after winning the Masters and the U.S. Open to start the season he remarked that if he could win the Open Championship and PGA Championship to finish the season, he would complete "a grand slam of his own" to rival Bobby Jones's 1930 feat

Glad you agree with me.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Taken from the acticle linked below ... The last non-Asian to receive a special international exemption was Greg Norman in 2002, one year after entering the Hall of Fame ... same as Ernie this year ...

http://espn.go.com/golf/notebook/_/page/birdiesandbogeys120320/with-ernie-els-easy-decision-augusta-national-extend-masters-special-invite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by turtleback

Absolutely.  I think that any guy who has played in the Masters for 10 or more years in a row should get one special invitation in the first year he does not otherwise qualify.

I voted no. Play better Ernie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

The fact that a tournament has invitational spots is one of the reasons i think the masters shouldn't be classed as a major

Correct, it should not be classified as a major, but THE major.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I voted no. Play better Ernie.

I very reluctantly agree. If Tiger can be in the top 20 as seldom and erratically as he's played for the last two years, then top 50 is not an unreasonable standard for a major.

The way Ernie is pitching/chipping from around the greens (holing out - or leaving tap in's)... He would be better off missing greens at this juncture in time.  Seriously though, it would be great to see him invited.  He is an ambassador of the game, well liked by the media and public, and only increases the interest in the tournament.  And giving him an invite would create another good story line.

Also, I'll add a few other comments...

1.) The world rankings are based on 24mo run, and over the last 3 to 4mo... He has started to play better than his 62nd ranking.

2.) While he is still struggling with his putter - he went to the belly putter.  But has still struggled.  Especially from close distance - where the Belly putter is supposed to increase your chances.  Pretty interesting if you think about the mental aspect of putting - and how much he is struggling.

So I'll leave you with a Dave Stockton quote from the book 'Unconscious Putting'... "It's always much easier to perform a physical move that is locked comfortably into your subconcious mind than it is to make a very specific effort to do the same move."

When I watch Els - I think he is trying to make the same mechanical move - rather than just going back to the putter style he used for his entire golfing life and just unconsciously putt. It may fuel that fire that is struggling to burn.

I voted no as much as I like Ernie. I actaully don't think he would want special treatment. At some point, if you can't get there through the normal qualifying criteria then you have to take it on the chin and say I'll do better next year. I also don't really like the idea of past champions automatically playing unless they are still competitive, say on the Champions Tour.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

When I watch Els - I think he is trying to make the same mechanical move - rather than just going back to the putter style he used for his entire golfing life and just unconsciously putt. It may fuel that fire that is struggling to burn.

I think that's the problem, he doesn't the confidence he used to in order to putt unconsciously.  Whether that was due to his stroke changing over time, ability to read greens or gauge speed, I don't know, but I think that mechanical move you're seeing is a response to trying and find something again.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think he should get a invite but knowing Ernie it would be a really difficult thing to accept. Pride might keep him from accepting but pure drive to prove himself again might let his pride take a back seat. That being said i was really disappointed with him on missing 2 short puts that would have won the T outright. I agree he should go back to the "short" stick.

I have never like the Masters mainly because i Don't like watching Augusta National Golf Club. Its a very "Manufactured golf coarse" at least on TV. Most of us here can only dream about one day having a chance to play on a 5 star US Golf coarse and Augusta is not on my top ten "to play" course's.

Originally Posted by ZAhacker

I think he should get a invite but knowing Ernie it would be a really difficult thing to accept. Pride might keep him from accepting but pure drive to prove himself again might let his pride take a back seat.

He'd accept immediately. He hasn't got much decent golf left in him and he's hardly likely to turn down the opportunity of another shot at the Masters. No one is too proud to not accept a Masters invitation. Golfers give up playing the Masters when they feel they are too old and their golf is embarrassing them.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Maybe the "problem" is the selection tool used - the WGR ranking top 50.

What will cause golfers to stay in the top 50 is playing well in limited field events - WGC, Masters, FedEx semis & finals - finish in the top 10-15 in those 7 events and you are almost a lock to stay in the top 50 and keep getting invited.

These are what I call the "Rich get Richer" events - playing well, but not winning is a huge WGC points boost, hell just being in WGC events and playing poorly doesn't really hurt since there is such a select field.

Oh and back on topic - I'd vote yes to seeing Ernie play at the Masters.....but then that 4 footer was like making the cut at Q-school, he makes it and he is in, but he didn't!

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Maybe the "problem" is the selection tool used - the WGR ranking top 50.

What will cause golfers to stay in the top 50 is playing well in limited field events - WGC, Masters, FedEx semis & finals - finish in the top 10-15 in those 7 events and you are almost a lock to stay in the top 50 and keep getting invited.

These are what I call the "Rich get Richer" events - playing well, but not winning is a huge WGC points boost, hell just being in WGC events and playing poorly doesn't really hurt since there is such a select field.

Well, all you have to do to become part of that "select field" is to be one of the top 64 players in the world.  No one handed that to any of these top 64 players and, as we're seeing now, they have to keep playing well in order to keep it.

And I'd say that if you finish in the top 10 or 15 in eight of the most pressure-filled events, played with the strongest fields of the year, then you're probably one of the top 10-15 golfers in the world.  If you choose to play only those events, and spend the rest of your time in Europe, Japan, or whatever, then you might settle outside of the top-20, but you still deserve to be in the Masters, FedEx Cup, or whatever other event is out there that is supposed to be a competition among the best players.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by Gifted Golfer

He would want to be there!

Why would he want to be there?

I don't remember anything happening last week that indicated that Ernie Els wants to be ay Augusta.

What did I miss?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Why would he want to be there?

I don't remember anything happening last week that indicated that Ernie Els wants to be ay Augusta.

What did I miss?

Yeah, you're right...he missed that four footer because he didn't want to play the masters.  He got a good deal on time share in Sandusky, OH that week and he can't pass up the deal.  That's absurd!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

First time poster..so be gentle, lol.  Anyways, I realize according to the rules he does not qualify; however, I feel that an exemption can, and should be made for such an outstanding golfer.  He is an hall of fame member, and not to mention still competitive.

Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!