IGNORED

Should Ernie Els Get a Masters Invitation?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Ernie get an invite to the Masters?

• Yes
    • No

Twittek

50 of the 75 players in your Masters are American.  That's a bit short sighted considering the the global explosion of the game.  I like your idea of the amateurs though.  I say Ernie definitely deserves an invite and although he would rather qualify legitimately he is bound to accept it if it comes.  the tournament means too much to him not to.

Originally Posted by twittek

Ernie deserves consideration but If he can't get in on merit, I don't think he would want to play. Or unless they invoke the "ernie els" rule and offer a special invite to a deserving player every year which i think they kind of do already. On a side note, the field I would like to see at the Masters would include the following:

-Top 40 American Pros

-Top 10 American Amateurs

-Top 20 International Pros

-Top 5 International Amateurs

-past champions that don't otherwise qualify assuming they have full status on an official tour

I think some people forget that the Masters is suppose to celebrate amateur golfers

So basically you'd want a field of 60 and some amateurs/past champions who have almost no chance of winning, which is basically what they have now.  Except you'd want it to be extremely lopsided towards American golf, even though in the last 10 years the Masters has produced 4 different International champions and only 3 different Americans.

I get it that the Masters has a strong tradition of Amateurs, but the Amateur field ain't what it was in Mr. Jones' day.  I think they've got it just about right:  a nod to the finalists of the US/British Amateurs, and a couple of other Am winners that don't significantly detract from the field.  If anything, they should add the NCAA individual title winner, but adding in a bunch more Ams who may not have even won the biggest Amateur tournaments isn't going to make the field better, and it significantly dilutes one of the major perks of being a US/British Am finalist.

(Let me clarify what I said about the "Amateur field".  The Am ranks are deep with talent today, probably moreso than in Jones era.  However, it's not like there are a bunch of major champion caliber players that are practicing law or selling insurance.  All of those really good amateurs are going to be Pros in a few years, and they'll have plenty of opportunities to qualify for a Masters.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by twittek

Ernie deserves consideration but If he can't get in on merit, I don't think he would want to play. Or unless they invoke the "ernie els" rule and offer a special invite to a deserving player every year which i think they kind of do already. On a side note, the field I would like to see at the Masters would include the following:

-Top 40 American Pros

-past champions that don't otherwise qualify assuming they have full status on an official tour

I think some people forget that the Masters is supposed to celebrate amateur golfers

Fortunately, you don't make the decisions.

What an odd and biased assortment.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I thought they said during the telecast this weekend that Ernie stated he'd only play in the Masters if he got iin on merit and did not want a special invitation.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I thought they said during the telecast this weekend that Ernie stated he'd only play in the Masters if he got iin on merit and did not want a special invitation.

I think that was pretty well established before the question was even posed.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I heard that it was speculated this was his position but that he confirmed it this weekend.    I don't see why Augusta would offer him a special invite if he's publicly stated he'd turn it down anyway.  Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I think that was pretty well established before the question was even posed.

Joe Paradiso

I didn't hear that.  They talked a few times that Ernie had commented publicly that "He isn't expecting [a special invite], and he won't lobby for it."  Conspicuously absent from that sound bite is "and even if they offer me a special invite, I won't accept."

But there might have been another statement that I missed.

Edit: huh.  Looks like you clarified in a subsequent post 8 minutes ago, but that one didn't appear on my browser feed until after I posted this.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I was pretty sure that's what they said on the GC on Sunday, but I just searched Google news and nothing was picked up about it.  Maybe it was an unofficial discussion, or with him having one more chance at the Houston Open it's not newsworthy.

Originally Posted by k-troop

I didn't hear that.  They talked a few times that Ernie had commented publicly that "He isn't expecting [a special invite], and he won't lobby for it."  Conspicuously absent from that sound bite is "and even if they offer me a special invite, I won't accept."

But there might have been another statement that I missed.

Edit: huh.  Looks like you clarified in a subsequent post 8 minutes ago, but that one didn't appear on my browser feed until after I posted this.

Joe Paradiso

Bet he won't turn it down if offered.

Originally Posted by Shorty

How can you get in?

Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)

U.S. Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)

The Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)

PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)

Winners of the Players Championship (Three years)

Current U.S. Amateur Champion (6-A) (Honorary, non-competing after one year); Runner-up (6-B) to the current U.S. Amateur Champion

Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after one year)

Current Asian Amateur Champion

Current U.S. Amateur Public Links Champion

Current U.S. Mid-Amateur Champion

The first 16 players, including ties, in the previous year’s Masters Tournament

The first 8 players, including ties, in the previous year’s U.S. Open

The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year’s Open Championship

The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year’s PGA Championship

The 30 leaders on the Final Official PGA Tour Money List for the previous calendar year

Winners of PGA Tour Regular Season and Playoff events that award at least a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters

Those qualifying for the previous year’s season-ending Tour Championship

The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year

The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

I voted yes and generally think that the Masters field is too exclusive.  Els is a Hall of Famer who has made 12 straight cuts on the PGA Tour (17 overall), finished top 5 his last 2 events and is top 50 on this years Fed Ex Cup and top 20 on the Euro Tour.

I agree with those who would invite the World top 75 and don`t understand why they don`t invite the current years top money or Fed ex cup leaders.  I also think they should not only take the Top 50 (or better yet, top 75) the week before the Tourny, but also anyone who ends up moving into the top 50/75 the week of the Tourny...IIRC, JB Holmes lost in a playoff the week before the 2009 Masters which moved him into the top 50, but too late to get an invite- no need to bump anyone out, but why not add someone who moved up the week before?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I wouldn't turn it down but I can understand why from his perspective it would be bitter sweet given he was so close earning the invite.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Bet he won't turn it down if offered.

Joe Paradiso

Definitely not enough emphasis on current year results.  I.e. Branden Grace is a multiple winner on the Euro Tour this year and #4 on their list, but no invite.  Els has 3 Top 5s (2 US, 1 Euro)

He has played well enough (better than world 52 Ryo Ishikawa) to merit an invite and I believe he would accept it.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

-Top 40 American Pros

I think some people forget that the Masters is suppose to celebrate amateur golfers

That's great that they celebrate amateur golf, but those amateurs normally play at combined 50+ over and only a select few ever make the cut. Most of them don't even break 80. And then you got guys like Riyo....Riyo is a hell of player and has a lot of potential for the future but if I had to make my pick of Ernie or Riyo as to who has a better chance to win or at least crack the top 10, I am going to take Ernie 10 times out of 10. But you know Riyo is getting the invite because of the Asian following and attention he brings. though the masters is my favorite tournament to watch, I would have to say it is the weakest field of all the majors.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Ernie doesn't want to be invited (so he says), and so let's respect that.  He has too much pride to be grovelling for an invite.

Further, John Hawkins of TGC had an interesting comment about Augusta.  He said the belly putters will not do well on Augusta's fast and slippery greens, and I can see his point of view.  As such, why waste an invite on poor Ernie.  His putting probably doesn't stand up to the Augusta greens test.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

I fully agree with you.  Ernie is a man of principal and has earned his place in the history of the game.  I think the Masters need him more than him asking for an invitation.

Originally Posted by PivotPro

I fully agree with you.  Ernie is a man of principal and has earned his place in the history of the game.  I think the Masters need him more than him asking for an invitation.

LOL!

Uh, no. The Masters doesn't need Ernie Els. I'm pretty sure the tournament will be just fine in his absence.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

LOL!

Uh, no. The Masters doesn't need Ernie Els. I'm pretty sure the tournament will be just fine in his absence.

I agree, the Master doesn't need Ernie. However, in my little world, golf on TV just seems like it would be better with Ernie at the Masters. I dunno, it's probably more nostalgia than anything, Ernie's been in the golf spotlight ever since I've been a fan of golf in general.

Honestly?

His absence wouldn't even be noticed.

Johnny Miller made the point during Bay Hill while Ernie was missing short putts down the stretch, that golf is not nostalgic. It does not grant favors to the greats of the past. It's ball in hole in fewest strokes, always. That can be cruel, but it is also the basic tenet of the game. Ernie didn't get it done (this assumes he doesn't win Houston. If he does, then welcome to the Masters Ernie...you earned it).

But that's it. He didn't get it done. And the tournament will not miss a beat in his absence.

Note: This thread is 4287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!