Jump to content
IGNORED

Should Ernie Els Get a Masters Invitation?


Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

0  

  1. 1. Should Ernie get an invite to the Masters?

    • Yes
      29
    • No
      25


Recommended Posts

The Masters is a private tournament.  They can make whatever criteria they want, change it whenever they want, and invite whomever they want and as many of them for whatever or no reason.  It is not like an Open that has to be qualified for in order to get it.  They can invite Stevie Wonder to play in it if they want to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course, they 'can' do this, I just don't think they 'should' do this.

Absolutely.  I think that any guy who has played in the Masters for 10 or more years in a row should get one special invitation in the first year he does not otherwise qualify.

Oh come on. It's not like Larry Mize only made the chip. He had to get into the playoff in the first place. If he doesn't earn his way in, then that's all you can say: he didn't earn



Originally Posted by BugDude

The Masters is a private tournament.  They can make whatever criteria they want, change it whenever they want, and invite whomever they want and as many of them for whatever or no reason.  It is not like an Open that has to be qualified for in order to get it.  They can invite Stevie Wonder to play in it if they want to.


Of course, they 'can' do this, I just don't think they 'should' do this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...it would actually be fairly interesting to see Stevie Wonder play in the Masters.  I had to play the back 9 Saturday without my glasses and I did better than on the front.  It was an eye-opening experience, pardon the pun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree. I mean jesus, you gotta make that four footer....there are not that many four footers that are going to put you into a play-off in a golfers career.

I wanted Ernie to make that putt as bad as I wanted Bubba to make his a couple weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Not if he can't make a few putts from four feet.

Augusta is about putting.

At the same time, the pundits say the Masters has the weakest field of all the Majors. They CAN open it up. It's not as if there are a lot of bodies playing -- it's fairly limited.



Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

It is a little too exclusive for my liking.

Thats The Masters for you though.  Its run by a bunch of stuffy old men who want it to be exclusive and want to look down their noses at the rest of the world.

As for Els, I feel for the guy but he simply hasnt earned it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

The fact that a tournament has invitational spots is one of the reasons i think the masters shouldn't be classed as a major

The U.S. Open has given special exemptions to players. So has the British Open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know...it would actually be fairly interesting to see Stevie Wonder play in the Masters.  I had to play the back 9 Saturday without my glasses and I did better than on the front.  It was an eye-opening experience, pardon the pun.

Stevie Wonder probably would have hit that four footer! But I feel they will still invite Ernie just because he is Ernie. They have given those invites to way less deserving players than Ernie....even if he is on his way out.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Thats The Masters for you though.  Its run by a bunch of stuffy old men who want it to be exclusive and want to look down their noses at the rest of the world.

As for Els, I feel for the guy but he simply hasnt earned it.


Read "The Making of the Masters" and you might change your view somewhat.

What you have said is as prejudiced, judgemental and ignorant as what you are accusing them of.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

The fact that a tournament has invitational spots is one of the reasons i think the masters shouldn't be classed as a major

OK. It's no longer a major. Done. Simple. Not even an argument.

Majors classed themselves - they weren't classed by others.


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

Read "The Making of the Masters" and you might change your view somewhat.

What you have said is as prejudiced, judgemental and ignorant as what you are accusing them of.



Really?  Im well versed on The Masters and those who run it and their negative attitude towards women and minorities says otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

OK. It's no longer a major. Done. Simple. Not even an argument.

Majors classed themselves - they weren't classed by others.


Ummm....no.  The Masters IS a major.  I dont like The Masters either and wish it wasnt a major but just because I dont like it doesnt make it not a major.  I dont know anyone who truly knows golf who would say its not a major.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I voted yes.  3 time major winner, played in every Masters since '94, inducted into the HOF last year

I may be wrong but I think in the past if you got an invite if you were on the previous year's President's or Ryder Cup team, which Ernie was on, his 7th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by BugDude

The Masters is a private tournament.  They can make whatever criteria they want, change it whenever they want, and invite whomever they want and as many of them for whatever or no reason.  It is not like an Open that has to be qualified for in order to get it.  They can invite Stevie Wonder to play in it if they want to.


This is always the argument, but the bottom line is that the Masters is a major.  As such, it has to act like a major.

Originally Posted by iacas

The U.S. Open has given special exemptions to players. So has the British Open.


I think it's pretty well accepted that the Masters has the weakest field of any major.  I still think it's a great tournament, but when you've already got folks using the word "weak" in the same sentence as "Masters field" then the special exemptions might warrant a bit more scrutiny.

That said, Ernie deserves a special exemption for the reasons already stated:  he was on the Prez Cup team last year, he was inducted into the HoF last year, and he's really close to making it on merit.  The fact that he is an "honorary" invitee as a result of his major wins means that his invitation isn't all that controversial anyway (certainly can't make the same arguments against Els that you could against some obscure amateur player).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator


Originally Posted by k-troop

I think it's pretty well accepted that the Masters has the weakest field of any major.  I still think it's a great tournament, but when you've already got folks using the word "weak" in the same sentence as "Masters field" then the special exemptions might warrant a bit more scrutiny.


Yes and by weak I think we mean the depth of the field.  We still get the best 50 players in the world but after that there is Fuzzy and Larry Mize competing.  With the other 3, especially the US Open or British Open there is the chance anyone that plays their a$$ off that week can win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Ummm....no.  The Masters IS a major.  I dont like The Masters either and wish it wasnt a major but just because I dont like it doesnt make it not a major.  I dont know anyone who truly knows golf who would say its not a major.

Of course it is a major. I was being flippant. My point was that when someone says they "don't think it should be classed a major because it has invitational spots" it is like saying that they don't think apples should be called fruit because they don't like them. It is a silly, pointless and futile line aof argument. The "classification" of the four majors evolved quite natuarally and it can't be controlled. If it could be, the Players woukld be classed as a major. The PGATour want this to happen but it won't. We are stuck with the four we have. It won't change. And I have no problem with that. To say that you don't think it "should be classed" as a major is about as moot an argument as you can have.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by mvmac

With Ernie losing the lead yesterday and not winning the Transitions he is outside of where he needs to be to receive an invitaiton to the Masters. Last year Ernie slipped outside of the top 50 in the world. You have to go back 20 years -- to the end of 1992 when he was ranked 40th -- to find him that low. By falling outside of the top 50, Els saw a Masters invite slip through his grasp. He started the Transitions at 68th in the world, and moved to only 62nd with his tie for fifth. Next week's Arnold Palmer Invitational is the last chance to get into the top 50, and he's likely in need of a victory there, too, to crack the top 50. Short of that, his only way into the Masters would be a win at the Shell Houston Open.

There is always the possibility of a special invitation based on his hall of fame status. So the question is, should he get an invite?

Here's an article Tim Rosaforte wrote making a plea for Ernie

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20120319/?pg=24±=1&u1;=friend#pg24



Absolutely.  I think that any guy who has played in the Masters for 10 or more years in a row should get one special invitation in the first year he does not otherwise qualify.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Shorty

Of course it is a major. I was being flippant. My point was that when someone says they "don't think it should be classed a major because it has invitational spots" it is like saying that they don't think apples should be called fruit because they don't like them. It is a silly, pointless and futile line aof argument. The "classification" of the four majors evolved quite natuarally and it can't be controlled. If it could be, the Players woukld be classed as a major. The PGATour want this to happen but it won't. We are stuck with the four we have. It won't change. And I have no problem with that. To say that you don't think it "should be classed" as a major is about as moot an argument as you can have.



The masters wasn't classed as a major until the late 50s early 60s as was the PGA Championship It is difficult to determine when the definition changed to include the current four tournaments, although many trace it to Arnold Palmer's 1960 season, when after winning the Masters and the U.S. Open to start the season he remarked that if he could win the Open Championship and PGA Championship to finish the season, he would complete "a grand slam of his own" to rival Bobby Jones's 1930 feat

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Lesson 4/15: Discussed my sudden (or likely not so sudden) regression in ball striking over the last 11 holes. Teacher observed about three swings and identified an issue. Takeaway had drifted inside, and was very much a hands move without enough shoulder pitch or turn. Worked on feeling my lead shoulder pitch down and around, and the feeling is that my shoulders/torso are moving the club back and not the hands. Getting this sorted out is priority piece for the next month. After about 10 balls at slow speed, contact was back to center, with misses toward the toe side, instead of heel. AoA was 5-6 degrees down with 7-iron, path 2-3 degrees I > O, but still need to work on clubface control; some straight balls, some over draws, and some push fades - clubface control is a co-priority piece. Recentering/flow is good with irons, but as I transition into longer clubs like hybrid/3W, I hang back for some reason. Really need to feel a "fall" toward the ball with hybrid/3W, and less push off the trail leg, and more thought on rotation to arrest the fall. Worked on the priority piece with hybrid on the launch monitor after lesson, and the backswing priority piece was working well, and toward the end I had made some progress figuring out clubface control. From 230 yards out on the GC4 range, the bad L/R misses were still mostly within nGIR proximity, so if this is as bad as it gets as I fine tune this, I'm happy. Spend the last 15 minutes on the launch monitor hitting driver. I was pretty tired at this point, but swing speed was good, typical range around 110-112mph, with a max of 115mph.
    • For dispersion control, consider a shaft length between 44” and 45”.
    • Day 485: Lesson and an hour on the GC4 launch monitor afterwards. New priority piece to work on.
    • I get your point. I just think it is tad bit similar to broomsticks that have contact to the body (forearms in this case) in addition to palms. A tiny skill cheat IMO.  From what I understand weight has an individual sweet spot. Any heavier and distance consistency  suffers.  Of course this all is based on a sample size of one - me vs. a few thousand of yours. So yeah.. don't think I will be exactly picketing for a ban or anything, just a little light Thursday afternoon musing..😊.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. colegolf1
      colegolf1
      (23 years old)
    2. mittens
      mittens
      (55 years old)
    3. Northwoods88
      Northwoods88
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...