IGNORED

2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

His record proves he's the best player by miles the last 15 years. Do you have actual data from his victories on wind conditions? Not just "playing in Florida in March"? Besides, the point is moot. Tiger could win without his A-game, he could win even though he struggled in the wind. A tournament got four rounds. It could have been windy one or two days and calm the rest, giving him time to shoot low. We've provided quotes and links on this topic about his ability to play in the wind before the swing changes. You have provided nothing. If you don't agree, fine, then let's agree to disagree.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I don't skip over everyone's answers...I just don't agree with them. His record proves otherwise.

His record doesn't "prove" otherwise. I lived in Florida. Some days it's windy. Other days it's not.

If you could produce the weather forecasts for the days he's played in winds versus not from 1997-2010 you might have something, but you can't.

Enough of this "wind" stuff that deals with the past (pre-2011). I'm perfectly happy to say that Tiger is at the very least an average wind player right now, with this swing, with the possibility that he is actually a "good to great" wind player (not enough data to say that yet, for me anyway).

Originally Posted by Zeph

We've provided quotes and links on this topic about his ability to play in the wind before the swing changes. You have provided nothing. If you don't agree, fine, then let's agree to disagree.

Oops. You posted while I was writing. My post feels redundant now.

We're all moving on now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by BallStriker

I'll go ahead and ask the question....should this win come with an asterik because Rory wasn't in the field?

Yes.  Because Rory wins every tournament he plays in.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Yeah but what if he played in that tournament that Luke won, and/or played at Bay Hill and placed well, wouldn't he have maintained the number 1 ranking?

Yes, and if he played in every tournament every week and won every one of them, he would also retain the #1 ranking.

Originally Posted by k-troop

I think it was windy.  Tiger started the day with a 1-shot lead, shot a 70 (not a speactacular Sunday number for a winner), and finished with a 5-shot lead.  That tells me the playing was really tough.

I think the wind really picked up as the last few groups were about an hour or so into their round.  Some of those flagsticks were really whipping during the later stages of the round, but not much early.

Originally Posted by colin007

he played better yesterday than the vast majority of the field.  that 70 compared to the rest is like a 66 normally.  i saw a lot of +3s and +4s...

What was the final scoring average?  I figured it would creep up to 75.  It was 74+ about midway through the last group's round.

If Graeme just put up a 70 it would have been a different tournament all together.

More "ifs"?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Suffice to say a windy day gives the other players a chance, but history has proved they'll still be jockeying for positions 2 through 10.

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Zeph

His record proves he's the best player by miles the last 15 years. Do you have actual data from his victories on wind conditions? Not just "playing in Florida in March"? Besides, the point is moot. Tiger could win without his A-game, he could win even though he struggled in the wind. A tournament got four rounds. It could have been windy one or two days and calm the rest, giving him time to shoot low.

We've provided quotes and links on this topic about his ability to play in the wind before the swing changes. You have provided nothing. If you don't agree, fine, then let's agree to disagree.

Works for me.

Look, I'm not a data geek. I'm not going to look up weather conditions when he won. Here's the crux of it - you say Tiger was/is so good that he could struggle in the wind & still win. Okay. But define 'struggle'..? If it means he didn't play as well in the wind versus when it was calm, well who does? If you're saying that other play better in the wind than him then fine. All I'm saying is he won often in the wind so how good did he have to be? If his wind game was still good enough to win events, how good does it have to be for him to be considered a good wind player? I just think your argument is hollow - if it was his talent that got him the wins then obviously his talent was good enough to win in the wind, ergo a good wind player...that's my point.

But you're right. We're going in circles here. You believe what you want & so will I.

• Upvote 1

What happened to K-Troop's post #240?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

What happened to K-Troop's post #240?

This forum is Stimping at about 14, and a gust of wind blew it right off the page.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator

Originally Posted by k-troop

This forum is Stimping at about 14, and a gust of wind blew it right off the page.

Hardy har. Simple answer: it continued to talk about the wind and Tiger's past performances in the wind. Again, we're moving on from that, as it's OT and has been discussed at length already.

Back to topic, please. The topic isn't "bad puns." :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If Graeme just put up a 70 it would have been a different tournament all together.

Yeah. And I was thinking that If Tiger had been caught in traffic on the way and had missed his tee time, he couldn't have won.

Also, Had Cauley holed about 6 more putts........

So....really.....it isn't even a win for Tiger. Not really. He just got REALLY, REALLY lucky.

You seriously have to question the sanity of some of the people who post on this site, don't you?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I've often wondered what it would be like to hoist a 3 iron 267 yards over a lake and have it land softly on the correct tier of the green. I'm guessing I wouldn't hate it.
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of that hole ^^^, did anybody see during the Pro-Am round where some guy thinned his tee shot and skipped it across the lake several times before it skipped up onto the shore and into the fairway?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by walk18

I've often wondered what it would be like to hoist a 3 iron 267 yards over a lake and have it land softly on the correct tier of the green. I'm guessing I wouldn't hate it.

I read that Foley was quoted as saying it was the sexiest iron shot he ever saw.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Brunogolf

3 wins in 4 weeks........ Just saying this site must love how crow tastes

Who are you talking to?

I've often wondered what it would be like to hoist a 3 iron 267 yards over a lake and have it land softly on the correct tier of the green.

Just speaking for myself, it gets kind of old.

• Upvote 1

simply an amazing shot, one of his best ever IMO. Had to have been tough for GMAC to witness that and think, how in the hell am I going to beat Tiger this time? Great for golf to see him win. Masters should be fantastic.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

But he didn't and in the past he was a player who didn't blink against Tiger. But Tiger played beautifully and in great control yesterday and Graeme could not keep up. He made some great long putts early in the round but later missed some putts he should have made and needed to make. When Tiger is playing like he did yesterday he is very intimidating. His approaches off of missed drives were nothing short of spectacular and his putter was money. I would guess the rest of the PGA Tour has to be shaking a bit seeing Woods play like he did 4-5 years ago.

Note: This thread is 4403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!