IGNORED

2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

Another tournament best watched wit the sound turned down in order to avoid Kelly Tilghman's sickening sycophancy sucking up salaciously to "the king".

Its not just her.  Last night on School Of Golf, Martin and Holly both kept referring to Arnie as, "Mr. Palmer".  As for Arnie getting all bent out of shape for Luke and Rory not showing up, maybe thats just a reflection that Arnie's tourney is a nothing tournament and those guys want to be well-rested for The Masters.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Another tournament best watched wit the sound turned down in order to avoid Kelly Tilghman's sickening sycophancy sucking up salaciously to "the king".

What's wrong with being respectful to a guy who's done as much for golf, on and off the course, as Arnie?

Originally Posted by brocks

What's wrong with being respectful to a guy who's done as much for golf, on and off the course, as Arnie?

Nothing at all. Who's talking about being respectful?

I'm talking about shameless and embarrassing sycophancy and sucking up.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Its not just her.  Last night on School Of Golf, Martin and Holly both kept referring to Arnie as, "Mr. Palmer".  As for Arnie getting all bent out of shape for Luke and Rory not showing up, maybe thats just a reflection that Arnie's tourney is a nothing tournament and those guys want to be well-rested for The Masters.

As long as there's room for his grandson to play.......
I just read the article where Palmer is critical of McIlroy and Donald.

It just goes to show what a crank he has become.

Of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player, Nicklaus is the only one who consistently talks sense and doesn't seem caught up with the esteem in which he thinks others should hold him.

In the article I read, Palmer talks about how he went to the British Open:

"When I think back, I went to the British Open to enhance interest in international golf."

What on earth does this have to do with his tournament? It is a run of the mill tournament and players are entitled to set their own schedules when their goals are based around success at majors.

Are Rory and Luke, who have played all over the world, missing the U.S.Open?

Mr Palmer needs to gain a little perspective, even if he is "the king".

Nothing at all. Who's talking about being respectful? I'm talking about shameless and embarrassing sycophancy and sucking up.

Then how about giving some examples of what you consider shameless sycophancy? Does she genuflect? Or does she just call him Mr. Palmer?

I met Mr. Palmer in the late 1980's. His small group, my buddy and I, were the only ones in a club lounge hotel "bar." He has an aura that makes him Mr Palmer. Nice as can be. Invited us to have a drink with him. Chatted about the pro-am that was happening the next morning... He was playing in the Senior Tour event sponsored by our client.

Aside from what he did for modern golf and the PGA, he is the reason the Senior Tour got off the ground. And didn't he start the Golf Channel too?

20 years later, he's Mr. Palmer to me (if I ever bump into him again) and I'd speak of him with a tone that might sound like kissing up.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I just read the article where Palmer is critical of McIlroy and Donald. ... "When I think back, I went to the British Open to enhance interest in international golf." What on earth does this have to do with his tournament? It is a run of the mill tournament and players are entitled to set their own schedules when their goals are based around success at majors.

Maybe he's implying that they should show some gratitude to him personally, by playing in his tournament. IMO every pro golfer alive owes Arnie.

Then how about giving some examples of what you consider shameless sycophancy? Does she genuflect? Or does she just call him Mr. Palmer?

I'm guessing that you haven't watched in previous years when he's been in the commentary box. Just wait. You are in for a thrill. But have a bucket next to your chair.

As long as there's room for his grandson to play.......

It just goes to show what a crank he has become.

Of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player, Nicklaus is the only one who consistently talks sense and doesn't seem caught up with the esteem in which he thinks others should hold him.

In the article I read, Palmer talks about how he went to the British Open:

"When I think back, I went to the British Open to enhance interest in international golf."

What on earth does this have to do with his tournament? It is a run of the mill tournament and players are entitled to set their own schedules when their goals are based around success at majors.

Are Rory and Luke, who have played all over the world, missing the U.S.Open?

Mr Palmer needs to gain a little perspective, even if he is "the king".

To be honest, I would call Palmer "Mr. Palmer" if I met him.  He's a legend.

Maybe Palmer's respect for both Luke and Rory is of a high standard and he would feel more honored rather than "entitlied" if they played in his tournament.  Just an opinion...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I'm guessing that you haven't watched in previous years when he's been in the commentary box. Just wait. You are in for a thrill. But have a bucket next to your chair.

You guessed wrong. I watch it every year, and I see the due respect that one would expect for the host of the event and an immortal of the game, just like when Byron Nelson was around for his event. But it's nice to see that you are an equal opportunity grouch.

You guessed wrong. I watch it every year, and I see the due respect that one would expect for the host of the event and an immortal of the game, just like when Byron Nelson was around for his event.

But it's nice to see that you are an equal opportunity grouch.

Did you not just see him a moment ago prattling on about his grandson for about 2 minutes while Nobilo and the other commentator wriggled uncomfortably waiting him to stop so they could talk about the tournament?

So I'm assuming that he is correct in being critical of the game's number one and two players for missing this event?

Quote:

Maybe he's implying that they should show some gratitude to him personally, by playing in his tournament.

IMO every pro golfer alive owes Arnie.

Isn't that the point he was making?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Did you not just see him a moment ago prattling on about his grandson for about 2 minutes while Nobilo and the other commentator wriggled uncomfortably waiting him to stop so they could talk about the tournament? So I'm assuming that he is correct in being critical of the game's number one and two players for missing this event?

Thanks for a concrete example. Now I know I can safely discount anything you say about Arnie. I backed up my DVR to see what you were talking about, because it didn't sound like anything I had watched. Far from being impatient to talk about the tournament, Nobilo and Gannon kept bringing up Saunders. Answering a direct question, Arnie talked for 55 seconds, not two minutes, about how Saunders had misplayed 16, and he did it in a way that provided useful information to anyone who wanted to learn about course management. There was no prattling, and there was no desire evinced by Nobilo or Gannon to get back to the dynamic Jason Dufner. As for Rory and Luke, he did not say they were ungrateful bastards, he just said he was disappointed that they didn't play. You may disagree on whether they owe him a couple of their houses, but he has a right to feel the way he wants to about it. And what does ANY of that have to do with Kelly, or Nobilo, or anyone else, showing "shameless sycophancy?" By your own (false) account, Nobilo showed the opposite.

Isn't that the point he was making?

Since you quoted three different points from three different people, you need to be a little more specific about which point and which person you mean.

And what does ANY of that have to do with Kelly, or Nobilo, or anyone else, showing "shameless sycophancy?" By your own (false) account, Nobilo showed the opposite.

I'm talking about Tilghman. Nobilo has a perspective of the tournament a little wider than talking about one player who is related to the host and he is respectful enough of the audience to want to broaden the conversation. That is not disrespectful.

And your reading of the bit about the exciting young Sam Saunders differs from mine. The body language was obvious.

Next we'll have someone chiming in to say that They have met Sam Saunders and that he is a "fine young man".

There is a difference between being respectful and being obsequious. Tilghman wants to make it abundantly obvious how "respectful" she is, so she quadruples her efforts and  demeans herself in the process.

I'm talking about Tilghman. Nobilo has a perspective of the tournament a little wider than talking about one player who is related to the host and he is respectful enough of the audience to want to broaden the conversation. That is not disrespectful. And your reading of the bit about the exciting young Sam Saunders differs from mine. The body language was obvious.

So I went back and watched it for a third time (this occurs at about 4:12 PM EDT for anyone else who wants to check, or watch it in the replay tonight). I literally can't understand how you can see it that way --- it's as plain as day that Nobilo specifically asks him to critique Saunders, and that both he and Gannon are giving Arnie their complete attention as he "prattles." There is no fidgeting, rolling of eyes, or any other body language that implies anything but interest in what he's saying. They occasionally smile and nod in agreement; that's it. You are entitled to your wacky opinions, but as I said, I now know I can safely disregard them.

Since you quoted three different points from three different people, you need to be a little more specific about which point and which person you mean.

I think it's pretty clear that Sean means that the things he said about himself and about McIroy and Donald prove that the criticism of Palmer is reasonable.

No one is saying that Palmer didn't change the perception of golf. Or that he is a bad person. People are saying that his tournament is not the equal of the British Open and that he has no right to be critical of Donald or McIlroy. He could say he was disappointed. That would be OK. He didn't.

Note: This thread is 4404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!