IGNORED

2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regardless of who said what and how or who was quoting whom, Arnie is losing his marbles if he thinks his event is on par with the British Open. If that's not what he meant, then we can add another misinterpreted quote to the list.

If that was your point, then I've already answered it. Nobody thinks Bay Hill is on par with the British Open, but a lot of people think Arnie is the King, and that players should go out of their way to repay him for what he's done for golf, and for them. Rescuing the British Open from obscurity is just one example, and he was correct to cite it. It may not be going too far to say that without him, we would not have the modern concept of the four pro majors. TV hype probably had more to do with it, but TV golf might have ended up like TV bowling without Arnie.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Tiger had a decent score, but I didn't get to watch yet.  14/18 greens, but 2.0 putts/GIR and 32 total putts.  His strokes gained/putting was 43rd (0.48), so I'm guessing he wasn't very close to the hole today?

Still, if he gets his putts below 30, he's leading the tournament.  Again.

I only followed along with his last 6 holes or so, and I don't think he had any looks inside of 15 feet for the time I followed.  Also, two of his birdie makes were outside of 18 feet.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Charlie Wi posted on Facebook about an hour ago: 66 > 13, presumably a reference to his score today and one particular hole last week.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only followed along with his last 6 holes or so, and I don't think he had any looks inside of 15 feet for the time I followed.  Also, two of his birdie makes were outside of 18 feet.

Yeah, he made a couple long putts, but also had a couple of three-putts, so I'd say he pretty much deserved the score he shot. Not spectacular, but only three guys ahead of him, so it's the best he's been placed after the first round so far this year. He seems to be tightening up his short game, and he seems to continue to drive well. If I were guaranteed he would be healthy for the next month, I'd bet on him winning at least one event in that time.

Originally Posted by brocks

Yeah, he made a couple long putts, but also had a couple of three-putts, so I'd say he pretty much deserved the score he shot. Not spectacular, but only three guys ahead of him, so it's the best he's been placed after the first round so far this year.

He seems to be tightening up his short game, and he seems to continue to drive well. If I were guaranteed he would be healthy for the next month, I'd bet on him winning at least one event in that time.

Well, that would mean he would be winning this week or at the masters because he isn't playing any other tournaments for over a month.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Rescuing the British Open from obscurity is just one example, and he was correct to cite it.

No he wasn't. He was TOTALLY out of line.

McIlroy and Donald play all over the world and they are true international golfers. It is actually very rude, disrespectful and insulting of Palmer to imply that these two are not playing their part in growing the game.

Just because he doesn't blink or show any discomfort when adults call him "sir" or "Mr Palmer" doesn't mean that he is beyond reproach. He may be "the king" but he's not infallible.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A lot of people think Arnie is the King, Arnie being #1 on the list that does.  I agree, he's done a lot for golf, but it was wrong for him to call out Rory and Donald for not being there.  If he wants them to show up so badly he can pay them an appearance fee as additional incentive.

International flights and crossing time zones takes a major toll on your body even if you fly business class, not to mention the time they lose being at home.  I don't blame these guys for not wanting to put themselves through it right before a Major.  Rory isn't going to be here to defend his win at Congressional this year because it's on the same date as the Ireland Open, sometimes life happens.  IMO Arnie needs to get over it.

If that was your point, then I've already answered it. Nobody thinks Bay Hill is on par with the British Open, but a lot of people think Arnie is the King, and that players should go out of their way to repay him for what he's done for golf, and for them. Rescuing the British Open from obscurity is just one example, and he was correct to cite it.

It may not be going too far to say that without him, we would not have the modern concept of the four pro majors. TV hype probably had more to do with it, but TV golf might have ended up like TV bowling without Arnie.

Joe Paradiso

A lot of people think Arnie is the King, Arnie being #1 on the list that does.  I agree, he's done a lot for golf, but it was wrong for him to call out Rory and Donald for not being there.  If he wants them to show up so badly he can pay them an appearance fee as additional incentive.

Actually he can't; PGA events are not allowed to pay appearance fees. As for the rest, you are entitled to your opinion.

People are allowed to have opinions about HH, Tiger, Tim Finchem, or even Donald Duck (who BTW is the reason we have income tax).  But EVERYONE is Constitutionally required to love Arnold Palmer.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'm aware of that (though I didn't make it clear), but there are back door methods to working around it by going through the golfers sponsors.  It's not a great option I agree, but it can be done.

Actually he can't; PGA events are not allowed to pay appearance fees.

As for the rest, you are entitled to your opinion.

Joe Paradiso

Tiger had a decent score, but I didn't get to watch yet.  14/18 greens, but 2.0 putts/GIR and 32 total putts.  His strokes gained/putting was 43rd (0.48), so I'm guessing he wasn't very close to the hole today?

Still, if he gets his putts below 30, he's leading the tournament.  Again.

He had a couple 3putts that hurt what his score could've been

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

People are allowed to have opinions about HH, Tiger, Tim Finchem, or even Donald Duck (who BTW is the reason we have income tax).  But EVERYONE is Constitutionally required to love Arnold Palmer.

Pretty much :-)

Edit: Looks like Graeme is trying to go low today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Regardless of who said what and how or who was quoting whom, Arnie is losing his marbles if he thinks his event is on par with the British Open. If that's not what he meant, then we can add another misinterpreted quote to the list.

If that was your point, then I've already answered it. Nobody thinks Bay Hill is on par with the British Open, but a lot of people think Arnie is the King, and that players should go out of their way to repay him for what he's done for golf, and for them. Rescuing the British Open from obscurity is just one example, and he was correct to cite it.

It may not be going too far to say that without him, we would not have the modern concept of the four pro majors. TV hype probably had more to do with it, but TV golf might have ended up like TV bowling without Arnie.

RE: "he was correct to cite it."

I disagree with that bit right there. If he wanted to say something to them one on one, that's great, but in a press conference? I suspect calling Rory and Luke out will not have the effect he was after.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Almost forgot there was a tournament going on. McDowell with the lowest round (in progress) so far. 8 under through 17! 6 birdies and one eagle. Pretty good ball striking stats for Graeme so far this week. 74% fairways and 88% GIR. Putter didn't do him a service yesterday, but seems to be working today.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Almost forgot there was a tournament going on.

McDowell with the lowest round (in progress) so far. 8 under through 17! 6 birdies and one eagle. Pretty good ball striking stats for Graeme so far this week. 74% fairways and 88% GIR. Putter didn't do him a service yesterday, but seems to be working today.

Pretty solid.  his 63 is the low round of the day by 5 shots so far.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Whoo, Tiger... just sank a 32 foot putt for his fourth consecutive birdie, and now a share of third. Meanwhile, our buddy Charlie Wi is chipping for par after making a par five on his previous hole. On the other hand, it's still Friday. Edit : Oops, I can't read the play by play properly. Wi made his par with an 11' putt.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by Shindig

Whoo, Tiger... just sank a 32 foot putt for his fourth consecutive birdie, and now a share of third. Meanwhile, our buddy Charlie Wi is chipping for par after making a par five on his previous hole.

On the other hand, it's still Friday.

Were you able to see this live somewhere?  I'm following on Shot Tracker, and was surprised that his first putt went in because I thought I remembered it being outside of 30'.

Which brings me to my second question: is there no way to go to previous holes/shots using Shot Tracker?  It seems like once that last putt went in for that hole, you can't check any of the prior info (driving distance, proximity to hole, etc).

Brandon

Click the hole you want to watch at the top, to the right of the current hole number. You can go back and forth all you want.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!