IGNORED

2012 Arnold Palmer Invitational Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

If you are speaking of the one that almost made it into the neighbors pool, they said on air that some idiot yelled something right at the top of his swing... Joe Lacava yelled "Shut up over there" afterwards.  I couldn't hear it in the playback though...so it couldn't have been too loud.  Looked like a flat out double cross to me.  I know those quite well!

Nope, just read it online ... it was a woman who screamed at a nearby concession stand when her 18 year old son fainted.  (Can't really fault anybody for that, just a fluke)  Tiger said he tried to stop his swing, was past the point of no return, and flipped it over there.

He should go back to learning to play through the extraneous noises and he will probably not hit shots like that, or throw his back out in pro-ams either.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by brocks

One thing I totally disagree with the commentators about is that Tiger needs a win here to give him confidence for the Masters.

Agree with you there.  They seem to imply he won't win the Masters unless he wins this tournament, which I don't agree with at all.  Having said that, I think it would help embolden his own belief that he is back to the guy he once was.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Nope, just read it online ... it was a woman who screamed at a nearby concession stand when her 18 year old son fainted.  (Can't really fault anybody for that, just a fluke)  Tiger said he tried to stop his swing, was past the point of no return, and flipped it over there.

He should go back to learning to play through the extraneous noises and he will probably not hit shots like that, or throw his back out in pro-ams either.

Oh man...didn't hear that.  You're right, can't fault anyone for that.

He should practice with Lady Gaga or Niki Minaj blaring in his ear...if he can hit shots while listening to that crap, he can handle anything!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

The question I have, is Tom Gillis going to shoot 66 on Sunday to give him rounds of 79-66-79-66?

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by mlf16507

The question I have, is Tom Gillis going to shoot 66 on Sunday to give him rounds of 79-66-79-66?

Thinking about rolling the dice on Gillis in fantasy?

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Looks like the winds are picking up tomorrow!!

Wait a minute... Didn't Tiger used to practice with his father, and he would make all kinds of loud sounds during his swing?

I agree, it was a freaky kinda deal, but it shouldn't distract him that much. At least it wasn't one of those drunk guys yelling get in the hole. LOL

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Could turn out to be a costly miss for Tiger. Dropping two shots just like that is tough. I sometimes wonder if he actually listens for interruptions or stops automatically. A freak incident though. What are the odds for that guy fainting just when Tiger is taking his swing? You can say what you want about Tiger, bur he provides good entertainment. Too bad about Charlie's round. I hope he'll be able to relax and play his game today. Poulter is up there too. He hasn't done a whole lot for some time now. Ernie is looking to revenge last week and get into Augusta. This tournament is by no means given to the final group. Good tournament so far by Cauley.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:

Well, not in the last couple years, anyway.

McDowell had a bad 2011 himself, so this would be a breakthrough win for either of them. But they're not far enough ahead of the pack to assume one of them will win. Even Ernie is within striking distance.

One thing I totally disagree with the commentators about is that Tiger needs a win here to give him confidence for the Masters. Tiger will win or lose, in regular events and in majors, based on the state of his game. He has plenty of confidence, especially at Augusta, and he thrives on pressure. If he doesn't win, it's because his game, especially his putting, is still not as consistent as it used to be. It's not because he can't stand up to McDowell or Schwartzel.

+1

McDowell was finishing off a career-best year in that year-end tournament and it still went to the final hole.
If Woods doesn't physically knacker himself today, I think he'll win this tournament by 2 or 3 shots...driving accuracy has crept up big-time so he just needs the putter going again (which from yesterday's round, is also showing signs of)

Also agree with the Masters comment too... regardless of how he's playing, he always has to be in the mix for the Top 5

So, yeah, I'm eating crow right now as I never thought he'd keep it together for 4 rounds in any tournament.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Dave H

Apparently, Tiger does still intimidate some golfers...

Perhaps it has nothing to do with Tiger, but simply being in contention to win a golf tournament?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

What a compelling final round!

On the one side you have Tiger and his six wins at Bay Hill with a one-shot lead. In years past this would be a sure bet - Tiger wins.

But he hasn't in a while. In fact, the last time he had a 54-hole lead he lost. And the guy who beat him is sitting in 2nd place - Graeme McDowell. And they're paired together today.

Good stuff.

Originally Posted by RichF

...driving accuracy has crept up big-time

That's why I think there is some legitimate and compelling drama surrounding whether or not that driving accuracy will hold up with a 1-shot lead in a tournament with a new swing.  He's had leads before, and even with this new swing.  But now there is a clear indication that he is driving it great (#1 in total driving).  Remember at Abu Dhabi he couldn't find fairways nor greens in the final round.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

What a compelling final round!

Not to mention the Ernie Els drama of trying to make it into the Masters...although he has one more tournament to do it in.

Brandon

If Woods doesn't physically knacker himself today, I think he'll win this tournament by 2 or 3 shots...driving accuracy has crept up big-time so he just needs the putter going again (which from yesterday's round, is also showing signs of)

He's first on Tour in total driving for the year. 17th in distance at 299.4 and 9th in accuracy at 69.28%.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Am I reading the current leaderboard correctly?  There are only a handful of players under par for the day?

Brandon

Perhaps it has nothing to do with Tiger, but simply being in contention to win a golf tournament?

I doubt that many guys at this level were ever intimidated by Tiger himself, but they can be thrown off their game by the huge crowds, both fans and press, that follow him.

Looks like today will be about not making mistakes.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!