IGNORED

How closely do you follow the rules?

ILLZ
Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last week I took a penalty on an out of bounds and my coworker couldn't believe it. We were just playing a friendly game but I can only track my progress if I count all of my strokes and play it where it lies. My home course is very slow on certain afternoons and I will play 2 balls if I'm playing by myself. But I do my best to keep track of both scores seperately.

I play by the rules as unless I'm playing a practice round. I keep a rule book in my golf bag, and I'm always trying to learn more about the rules. Nothing bugs me more than not knowing if I'm in accordance with the rules in a given situation.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Last week I took a penalty on an out of bounds and my coworker couldn't believe it. We were just playing a friendly game but I can only track my progress if I count all of my strokes and play it where it lies. My home course is very slow on certain afternoons and I will play 2 balls if I'm playing by myself. But I do my best to keep track of both scores seperately.

Actually playing with 2 balls is already a rules violation... not busting your chops here, I do it sometimes too, but when I do, I only count the first ball I hit off the tee, and if both balls are in almost the same place for other than the first shot, I play the scoring ball first, always. Otherwise you can get an idea of how to play the shot better on the 2nd ball... thus scoring lower and in the long run, cheating yourself by lowering your handicap.

In any case, it's against the rules to play more than one ball if you are playing for a score, handicap or tournament.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously you haven't played golf with me. Playing 2 ball allows me to experience all around the green and very different parts of the rough.... Like I said, I only play 2 ball when I'm by myself and have the course to myself. Kind of like practice.... But I understand what you are saying.

If I know the rule, I play by it. I have a pretty good grasp of the rules of golf, I believe. So I'd have to say I adhere to them strictly in my practice rounds.

Unfotunately, I play in a league that has adopted several 'league rules' that violate the rules of golf. I don't abide by some of them (they allow a 6" 'bump' anywhere but in a hazard, I play the ball where it lies). Other rules aren't so easy to adhere to because they'll give my opponent a tremendous advantage. Example - they've eliminated the distance penalty on OB shots and lost balls in an effort to speed up play. Apparently, no one thought of simply employing provisional shots. In match play, giving up that extra shot on a hole is suicide, so I reluctantly play by their rules.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Do whatever it takes to enjoy the game. If you knowingly and openly "cheat" and don't claim to shoot a better score than you actually did and it helps you stick with the game until you get better, cool. Once you start hitting better shots, take it apone yourself to then follow the rules. Golf is a game, make it fun.

If I'm playing for competition or know I'm turning the card in for handicap, I follow the rules very closely. If I head out to the course by myself for some practice, I don't keep score and I don't follow any rules. Most times I try to make my shots harder though. If I hit my tee shot in the rough but it's sitting up in a perfect lie, I'll move it to a bad one and try the shot multiple times. If I'm sitting 100 yards out and miss the green, I'll drop another ball and keep trying. I play with some buddies that follow the rules exactly, no matter what the purpose of the round. That's fine. But I like to get in some additional "on course practice" when there's time.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Witout rules hanicaps mean nothing. The guys I mostly play with play what they call "Gentlemen Golf". That is 2 off the first, roll the ball in the fairway, 3ft gimmies, etc.

Outstanding Golf!!

My FIL could very well have been part of your 'gentleman's' group - LOL. When I first started dating my wife, I'd have the pleasure, at the dinner table, of hearing about his '42' or '43' that day. I used to think, "Wow, he's really good and I hope I can hang with him if I ever play with him." It took awhile, but a few years later I finally got to play with him and it all became crystal clear. Bumping the ball all over the course, the infamous FW (Foot Wedge), gimmies (or even misses!) 'taken' from halfway to downtown. I never took a thing he said about his own golf game seriously after that. Playing the ball where it lies and putting EVERYthing is the only way to improve your game IMHO. Even though our league allows 'bumping' anywhere outside a hazard, I never do. I take some pride in my ability to pull off a halfway decent shot from a crummy lie. If I stopped playing the crap lies, that ability would wither in a hurry. IMHO, golf just starts to get interesting and creative when you're faced with a difficult lie/shot.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I think there are to many rules to follow there are general rules my friends and I follow like going out of bounds or a lost ball and the obvious ones but for the most part have you a rules book it has a ton of rules to follow.

Keep it on the short grass.

I think there are to many rules to follow there are general rules my friends and I follow like going out of bounds or a lost ball and the obvious ones

What? How about some punctuation?

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Cheat away as long as you don't keep the wrong score. If you don't have any fun taking 17 shots to get to the green because you went in the woods first, then kick it to the fairway, enjoy yourself, and keep the pace of the course moving. I kinda get irritated when some try to tell others how to play a game that they paid to play. I don't know why people get worked up about it. I would never play for money with my Brother-in-law because he cheats like it's goin' out of style. But I have fun with him just hitting the course every now and then. If people cheat and they get into a real comp for real money then they will either lose or get DQ'd. If they don't, then the people putting on the tourney are worse than the cheaters if they don't enforce the rules. I play by the rules because I am interested in lowering my Handicap, but for people who don't want to or don't have time to, it may be more fun for them to just get out and hit the ball down the fairway.

What? How about some punctuation?

Yes it is true my post was missing some punctuation and I apologize.

Question? Do you know what a complete sentence is? What? DUH......

Keep it on the short grass.

Any handicap round, tournament round, or anything involving money :) I play strictly by the rules.

I also will play 2 or 3 balls at times, or practice the same shot over a couple times when I am on the course by myself and playing a practice round. I don't record these scores as handicap scores. 99% of the time this is when I play the little exec course near my house. We usually play 9 before work once a week, and I will use this to practice my game.

I started really getting into the rules this last year. I started volunteering this past year as a tournament official for our regional golf association. I have learned more about the rules this last year than I thought possible. I see tons of violations while I play, but unless it is tournament play or I have money invested in it, I just go with the flow and let people play their own game.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

i think that is you are only playing friendly golf the rules should be relaxed to a certain level but when i play in an event i take the rules very seriously and even down to the smallest thing as it might make or break the tornament

r7 quad ht
r7 ti 5 wood
duel stiff rescue
ht irons
49 deg 56 deg anser putter pro v1 ball

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys, new here. I have found that the various groups that I play with and have previously played with have varying interpretations of the rules, especially playing it as it lies and stroke/ distance on OB. I know quite a few people who can't play near their handicaps when fully complying with the rules of golf.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!