IGNORED

Sean Foley's Tip for contact.

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

lol I guess you don't know who Sean idolizes and who Andy and Mike studied under for several years.  His name is Mac O'Grady

Look at the S&T; book and there are plenty of pictures of these players, that's where Mac, Andy and Mike developed their patterns, by looking at the "classical" swings.

To be fair, they might say that's who they looked at to develop S&T;, but most of those classic guys had HUGE weight shift onto the back foot on the back swing.  I know their story is they tried to distill out of the array of different swings of the masters through the ages, but still, if you personally think the old Snead style sway back and through swing is the pretty, smooth looking style (which equals "athletic" somehow?), S&T;'s going to look overly constrained and snappy.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by mdl

To be fair, they might say that's who they looked at to develop S&T;, but most of those classic guys had HUGE weight shift onto the back foot on the back swing.

No they didn't. Jack kept his head steady (Jack Grout grabbed fistfulls of his hair). So did Hogan. Arnie says it was the most important thing he learned in golf.

And weight and pressure aren't the same. They all undoubtedly increased pressure in the right foot on the backswing... just as Mike and I do in our swings.

Originally Posted by mdl

I know their story is they tried to distill out of the array of different swings of the masters through the ages, but still, if you personally think the old Snead style sway back and through swing is the pretty, smooth looking style (which equals "athletic" somehow?), S&T;'s going to look overly constrained and snappy.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

(Video moves slightly in the frame so the line is drawn from the same branch in the background downward.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

....And here is Bobby Jones!! Centered!!

jones.jpg

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by mdl

Quote:

if you personally think the old Snead style sway back and through swing is the pretty, smooth looking style (which equals "athletic" somehow?), S&T;'s going to look overly constrained and snappy.

First off I might argue that S&T; is least constrained because you allowing the hips to turn and rear knee to release some flexion.  Compared to other instructors that want you to maintain address knee flexion throughout the back swing, to me that would be the most constrained.

Back to the Snead.  Yes increased pressure in the right foot on the backswing, but not much sway here.

Sam Snead posterior A1-A4.jpg

Here is the video so you know I'm not trying to cheat :)  Please take a look at what he does and not what he FEELS

And Jack keeping the head steady

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

Jack Nicklaus, sam snead, ben Hogan before accident, arnold palmer.

Tiger can hit it so out of bounds also.

still not an athletic swing.

Didn't Ben Hogan win the vast majority of his majors after the accident?

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

Didn't Ben Hogan win the vast majority of his majors after the accident?

Accident was Feb 2nd 1949.  Can only imagine if he was able to play in the PGA in '53

Wins (9)

Year Championship 54 Holes Winning Score Margin Runner(s)-up
1946 PGA Championship n/a 6 & 4 n/a United States Ed Oliver
1948 U.S. Open 2 shot lead -8 (67-72-68-69=276) 2 strokes United States Jimmy Demaret
1948 PGA Championship (2) n/a 7 & 6 n/a United States Mike Turnesa
1950 U.S. Open (2) 2 shot deficit +7 (72-69-72-74=287) Playoff 1 United States George Fazio , United States Lloyd Mangrum
1951 Masters Tournament 1 shot deficit -8 (70-72-70-68=280) 2 strokes United States Skee Riegel
1951 U.S. Open (3) 2 shot deficit +7 (76-73-71-67=287) 2 strokes United States Clayton Heafner
1953 Masters Tournament (2) 4 shot lead -14 (70-69-66-69=274) 5 strokes United States Ed Oliver
1953 U.S. Open (4) 1 shot lead -5 (67-72-73-71=283) 6 strokes United States Sam Snead
1953 The Open Championship Tied for lead -2 (73-71-70-68=282) 4 strokes Argentina Antonio Cerdá , Wales Dai Rees ,
United States Frank Stranahan , Australia Peter Thomson

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Do you advocate that the ball be played from the same position as Jack does in his video?  In either case, do you see any problem in doing so?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Accident was Feb 2nd 1949.  Can only imagine if he was able to play in the PGA in '53

Wins (9)

Year

Championship

54 Holes

Winning Score

Margin

Runner(s)-up

PGA Championship

n/a

6 & 4

n/a

Ed Oliver

U.S. Open

2 shot lead

-8 (67-72-68-69=276)

2 strokes

Jimmy Demaret

PGA Championship (2)

n/a

7 & 6

n/a

Mike Turnesa

U.S. Open (2)

2 shot deficit

+7 (72-69-72-74=287)

Playoff 1

George Fazio,  Lloyd Mangrum

Masters Tournament

1 shot deficit

-8 (70-72-70-68=280)

2 strokes

Skee Riegel

U.S. Open (3)

2 shot deficit

+7 (76-73-71-67=287)

2 strokes

Clayton Heafner

Masters Tournament (2)

4 shot lead

-14 (70-69-66-69=274)

5 strokes

Ed Oliver

U.S. Open (4)

1 shot lead

-5 (67-72-73-71=283)

6 strokes

Sam Snead

The Open Championship

Tied for lead

-2 (73-71-70-68=282)

4 strokes

Antonio Cerdá,  Dai Rees,

Frank Stranahan,  Peter Thomson

Six out of nine... that counts as a vast majority, right?

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator

I don't think he was disagreeing. I think Mike was supporting your post. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

I don't think he was disagreeing. I think Mike was supporting your post. :-)

Yes exactly and like I said, could have been 7 out of 10 if the PGA wasn't scheduled so close to the British Open back then

Mike McLoughlin

I know... I was just pointing out the ridiculous nature of the original post.  I just like sticking my online tongue out.

Originally Posted by Old1964

Do you advocate that the ball be played from the same position as Jack does in his video?  In either case, do you see any problem in doing so?

Driver should be further forward in order to get a positive AOA.  This is more of a "modern" way of doing it due to today's ball and clubs.  Good thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by iacas

And Sean doesn't teach S&T.; He learned a lot about geometry and whatnot from MB and AP, but that's all one can accurately say about "what he teaches."

Q: is Sean's teachings more akin to what may be termed the "right sided swing"?  This is a teaching method out of Australia by Gary Edwin (website: http://www.garyedwingolf.com.au/), and popularized by players like Peter Senior, Rod Pampling, among others.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

• Administrator

Originally Posted by bobsuruncle

Q: is Sean's teachings more akin to what may be termed the "right sided swing"?  This is a teaching method out of Australia by Gary Edwin (website: http://www.garyedwingolf.com.au/), and popularized by players like Peter Senior, Rod Pampling, among others.

No, I don't think so at all. Foley lists his influences in his DVD and they're Mark Evershed, Leadbetter (he saw him on the range and decided as a kid to be an instructor), Bennet/Plummer, and some other people, but I am almost positive one is not Gary Edwin and that Foley's understanding is not similar to the "right sided swing."

In seeing what Sean does with his players Evershed would seem to have the biggest influence. Evershed is probably the ablsolute best in the business but his personality rubs some the wrong way.  Its strange that his work isn't talked about more on this site.

Originally Posted by iacas

No, I don't think so at all. Foley lists his influences in his DVD and they're Mark Evershed, Leadbetter (he saw him on the range and decided as a kid to be an instructor), Bennet/Plummer, and some other people, but I am almost positive one is not Gary Edwin and that Foley's understanding is not similar to the "right sided swing."

Agreed

Mike McLoughlin

First off I might argue that S&T; is least constrained because you allowing the hips to turn and rear knee to release some flexion.  Compared to other instructors that want you to maintain address knee flexion throughout the back swing, to me that would be the most constrained.

Back to the Snead.  Yes increased pressure in the right foot on the backswing, but not much sway here.

Here is the video so you know I'm not trying to cheat :)  Please take a look at what he does and not what he FEELS

I think a lot of people have trouble understanding the difference between weight shift and sway.  You can (and most beginners do) shift the weight to the right foot by swaying to your right.  Or you can shift weight to the right foot without swaying, by rotating in the backswing and countering, and then reversing this rotation using the right foot.  Every golf swing includes this transfer of forces.  Lastly, you can shift weight to the right foot without swaying or rotating, just by easing the pressure on the left foot (in some cases lifting the heel).  Now, if that's how you shift weight to your right foot, you won't be in balance, and your body will start to move to your left.  But of course, this is exactly what happens in a golf swing.

So it can be confusing to look at the top of Snead's backswing, and look at his left foot, and clearly see there's no weight on it.  But you can see, by circling his head and drawing a line from his right foot to his right hip, that he hasn't swayed really at all.  He's "stayed left", and in the downswing he goes further left.

-Andrew

Fair enough. I shouldn't have used the word sway, since the old guys kept at least the head centered, and mostly the core too. But I don't back away from the claim that a lot of the old guys had very significant weight transfer to the back leg during the back swing (as Mike noted about Snead), and while I agree that eliminating the extra work of transferring so much weight back and forth makes it easier to have a consistent swing, if you're dedicated to the look of that visually very clear loading of weight onto the back foot before exploding forward through the ball (looking more like a smooth baseball swing that way to my eye), then I still maintain it's at least consistent to not like the look of S&T;, even if most of the actual mechanical elements are the same or similar.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!