IGNORED

Most Broken Rule in Golf

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 6092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On holding the flagstick--I read something where this specific issue had been addressed in one of the "decisions on the rules of golf," which can be searched on the USGA website, if anyone is interested. My recollection is iacas's--that you can do it, unless, for some reason, holding the flag aids you in some way.

On the window question...did the pro ask you this on the lesson tee, or in the bar? But to answer the question, I would think the window, in this hypothetical being part of the course, would be considered an obstruction. Since the window in particular is movable, I guess it's a movable obstruction, and you can open the window and try to shoot through it. I wonder if the player has the option of saying, however, that the house, or barn, or whatever is around the window, is immovable, and that I therefore get to drop...

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this is the one for me, I see this one more than I want...
kinda like judge smails in caddyshack.. " don't count that "

Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

I've read the thread quickly, so forgive me if I've missed something. But I think there's some confusion here--you guys are talking about two different rules. I'm no rules expert, but I think you both have your various rules correct. Yes, unplayable lie has certain rules for dropping, but the other rule referenced is an obstruction, from which you do get to go to the nearest place where you're not obstructed, no nearer the hole. Of course, there are specific caveats about what constitutes and obstruction (a bridge or a road usually is, an out of bounds post or fence usually isn't...), but there is a difference between an unplayable lie and an obstruction.

My response was responding to Warik's mention that you can take an unplayable lie when your ball is against a boundry fence.

My comment was that you don't get swing relief with respect to an unplayable and that you receive 2 club lengths relief under the penalty of one stroke (not 1 club like he mentioned). I was just following up to his option and clarifying your options with an unplayable. Yes there are different rules being discussed but there wasn't any confusion on my part.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

On holding the flagstick--I read something where this specific issue had been addressed in one of the "decisions on the rules of golf," which can be searched on the USGA website, if anyone is interested. My recollection is iacas's--that you can do it, unless, for some reason, holding the flag aids you in some way.

You are correct on both.

The flagstick question is answered in Decision 17-1/5: 17-1/5 Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand Q. A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible? A. Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur. The window is an interesting one and your scenerio is sort of covered in the decisions: 24-2b/14 Window of Clubhouse Opened and Ball Played Through Window Q. A competitor hit a ball into a clubhouse which was not out of bounds and had not been declared an integral part of the course. In order to play it out, he opened a window, claiming that it was a movable (or partially movable) obstruction. Was this permissible? A. Yes. The clubhouse was an immovable obstruction. However, any part of it designed to be movable, such as a window or door, may be moved to any position if this can be done without undue delay. The same principle would apply if the clubhouse had been declared an integral part of the course.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

Note: This thread is 6092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!