IGNORED

The Majors & the Future

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know the history of the PGA, but just to clarify what I said, among all 4 majors, the PGA just doesn't resonate the feeling compared to the other 3, in my opinion. IF (and only if) a major was to be dropped, my gut feeling is it's going to be the PGA. It's probably not likely to happen, but this is just what I think if that were going to be considered.

Originally Posted by brocks

Besides a tradition of nearly 100 years, the PGA now typically has the strongest field of the year.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Administrator

Obviously the British and U.S. Opens aren't going anywhere.

So it's the Masters vs. the PGA.

I quite like the PGA, but the Masters has done a really good job of marketing, and it has a sweet spot on the schedule, and it's familiar because it's played on the same course, so it'd win a fight between itself and the PGA.

But I don't know that such a fight is going to happen any time soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another consideration for adding a 5th would be scheduling. Isn't the BMW PGA Championship on the Euro Tour a pretty big deal? I don't know historically when they schedule that event but this year it's played late May so it falls right between The Players and the US Open.

PGA doesn't have an identity apart from the addition of club pros, and most agree that's more of a drawback as it only weakens the field. It does make the tournament more interesting, but if the PGA said they were cutting the field down to 5 PGA pros it wouldn't affect my enjoyment or interest in the event. The rest have distinct identities that are indispensable with the event.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by 1par2win

Another consideration for adding a 5th would be scheduling. Isn't the BMW PGA Championship on the Euro Tour a pretty big deal? I don't know historically when they schedule that event but this year it's played late May so it falls right between The Players and the US Open.

Back end of May usually, no chance of 5th Major being in the UK. All the history but anything beyond the the Open would be undeserved.

Also, Wentworth has been trashed since Ernie's redesign. If it's to be in Europe Valderama would be the place.

China or the UAE has the cash to get the players, Australia and SA have the courses. Still think it will be super WGC events rather than a 5th Major.

I can't them making any changes any time soon but my guess is given the tradition of golf that they'd prefer to keep it at 4 Majors and replace the PGA or Masters with another international event.  I'd guess the PGA would be the one they give up unless Augusta National does something to upset everyone.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

1.  Of the three "US" majors, which is the most likely to be "dis-recognized" as a major championship?  I think the U.S. Open is solid, so it is really a quesiton of hte PGA or the Masters.

Originally Posted by iacas

Obviously the British and U.S. Opens aren't going anywhere.

So it's the Masters vs. the PGA.

I quite like the PGA, but the Masters has done a really good job of marketing, and it has a sweet spot on the schedule, and it's familiar because it's played on the same course, so it'd win a fight between itself and the PGA.

But I don't know that such a fight is going to happen any time soon.

Masters is the best major, no question :)

PGA the last 12 years has given us a lot of memorable finishes, Tiger v Bob May, Shawn McKeel's iron shot, YE Yang beating Tiger, Dustin Johnson bunker controversy, Sergio hitting that shot around the tree against Tiger (seeing a pattern? lol)

I think all the Majors are "safe" and it will stay at 4 for a very long time.  There are already a lot of big tournaments, WGC, Fed Ex Cup, Players, Race to Dubai events, we need a few that separates itself from the pack.  I don't see anything becoming a 5th major, except maybe something in Asia, but it's going to be a while.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by brocks

I doubt that the PGA has ever been the weakest of the four. It was probably the weakest of the *three* before the Masters was founded, but the Masters was the weakest in the 30's.

And you're right that it was virtually all American for a few decades after WW II, but those were about the same years that the British Open was virtually non-American, and when most of the best golfers were Americans --- especially after WW II decimated (correct usage ) a generation of British golfers.

For a long time, from the end of WW2 to about 1960,  the British Open had far and away the weakest field because the best golfers were Americans and hardly any of them went over to play the Open.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I think the great thing about the Masters is the same thing that might be an issue with the PGA -- and that is the Masters sort of does things its own way.  The PGA does not control the Masters, but seems to happily co-exist.  As long as the Masters is conducted with such class and with such reverence for tradition, I don't think the PGA would want a show down with Augusta National Golf Club.  Plus, the Masters invites great players from around the world, the best amatuers, and has a qualifying set of conditions for everything.  Some things are best left to be managed locally and the Masters is a good example.  The world knew Bobby Jones and he typified the gentleman golfer.  In some ways this is a major in tribute to Mr. Jones and the traditions of golf in America and the world.  This elevated the Masters in a way that a national organization like the PGA cannot do.

In my dreams, I am never playing the last hole on Sunday at Crooked Stick, or Cherry Hills, or Southern Hills, or Pebble Beach, etc.  No, my dreams are always of Augusta National, and yes, I have played there many times.  I still dream about it.  Every swing is a cherished moment. I hear the music in my soul.

RC

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

If a major is added, the venue should be rotated between Asia, Australia, and South Africa. In my opinion, this is where a lot of the international players hail from.

Asia, Australasia or Africa maybe?  :p

Also, what if it went to countries that are the homes of new or emerging golf super stars?

Originally Posted by saskriders

The Olympics will be thought of as pretty big

So is the Ryder Cup.  But it's not a Major.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by saskriders

Winning an Olympic medal will be seen as huge though, especially considering you will have to get through a qualifying tournament too

I hope so but can't see it, who bangs on about Olympic Gold medals in tennis? The only one I can remember is Steffi Graf and then only because she did it in the same year she won all four slams.

Are there going to be qualifying tournaments or will they just go off the World Rankings at a given date?

If one had to go, I would say the PGA. However, I think the 4 we have are fine and shouldn't be changed.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by machiavelli

It would be awesome if a 5th major was a match play tournament.

There will never be a fifth major - it would devalue the whole notion of majors at the highest level.  But I would love to see the PGA revert back to match play, as it was for years.  It would give it the distinctiveness it currently lacks, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!