IGNORED

Augusta May Have To Admit Its First Woman Member

brocks
Note: This thread is 4261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Which, ironically, he did -

I think he knew that and was making a joke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

If PC ever creeps its way in and puts an end to traditions like the Masters, its time to get the hell out of America.

Okay, I'm curious (and terrified) how you'll respond.  How would admitting a female member at ANGC put an end to Masters traditions?

(Let's just assume arguendo that all this talk about the PGA Tour pulling the Masters from it's official schedule is not going to happen, and that ANGC won't cave to the fascist picketeers.  If either of those scenarios were to play out, it would have happend long ago.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Okay, I'm curious (and terrified) how you'll respond.  How would admitting a female member at ANGC put an end to Masters traditions?

I'm more curious about what country he would move to.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

.............................................................................This guy......................................................................

v

I think i just peed a little..

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

I think i just peed a little..

Thumbs down, bro.  There is a difference between saying that Augusta is a private club and can do what they want, and openly disparaging women with misogynist comments.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by iacas

I think he knew that and was making a joke.

LOL! Yup...

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Originally Posted by k-troop

Thumbs down, bro.  There is a difference between saying that Augusta is a private club and can do what they want, and openly disparaging women with misogynist comments.

I didn't say it was right, just thought it was funny as I wasn't expecting it, bro.

Lots of preconceived notions about Hootie on this thread. People have to remember that the bylaws of a private club is a reflection of the membership. The south is quite different than most other parts of N.A, but the membership at Augusta has certainly diversified in the last 20 years; this is a reflection of the membership, not the media. Of course society will impact the views of many members. Most people would consider me quite liberal, but I'm also a Libertaian. I don't care if ANGC encourages its members to wear white hoodies to meetings and have a good blond joke ready, so long as they do not do it in public and its members do not break the law. They are a private club, they can do whatever they want otherwise. Clearly the current membership is OK with the current rules, those who are not will lobby change or leave. The masters is about the golf course, not the club. It's a privilage for us to participate for a weekend every year...

Johnson's social record

Johnson was a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives during 1957 and 1958. He also was a trustee of historically black Benedict College . Johnson served as former board member of the National Urban League ; served as co-chairman of committee that developed plan to desegregate universities in South Carolina, and in 1975, received the Outstanding Citizen Award from B'nai B'rith . [ 12 ] He had supported African-Americans for public office. [ 8 ] As a banker, he had appointed African-Americans and women to his corporate boards. [ 8 ] He made loans to minorities. [ 8 ] Following the 1968 Orangeburg Massacre (when three South Carolina State University students were killed by state troopers while participating in civil rights protests) Johnson had worked on a desegregation plan for the state's colleges and universities. [ 8 ] And Johnson had also been the first businessman who pushed to have the Confederate flag removed from the state house in Columbia. [ 8 ]

In the Bag

Originally Posted by turtleback

Wow, massive loss of respect for you and two posters that preceded you.

She isn't agitating for membership, so why should they snub her?

And the other 2 guys are just misogynistic chauvinistic pigs, IMO.  One applauds a sign saying "Iron my shirt bitch" and the other one thinks it is funny.  I'm sure their moms are very proud.

The media has stated she's pushed the agenda, if that is not the case, then clearly I feel differently...

Now you can unbunch your panties

In the Bag

Originally Posted by iacas

If you think they're doing anything to "hold" this event, you don't know how it all works.

They "sanction" the event... just like the European Tour. So tell me - what's the European Tour doing to "hold" this event.

BIG BIG difference between an event that's simply "sanctioned" versus a standard PGA Tour event in terms of PGA Tour involvement. The majors are "sanctioned" simply so that money won on them, and OWGR points, can count towards the player's official money list, exemption status, etc.

How can you claim that they have absolutely nothing to do with this event when it is on their 2012 schedule and counts towards FedExCup standings?  This makes no sense.

Their sanctioning of the event sends the message that it's OK to discriminate against women as long as the money's right and it follows sacred "tradition".  Would it be different if the club discriminated against certain races?  Or certain religious beliefs?  Or certain sexual orientations?  If so, why is it OK when it's women?

I couldn't care less what these uber-rich frat boy Augusta members do at their grownup playhouse and who they choose for playdates.  I don't care if they host a tournament there every day of the year.  It becomes a problem when a major sporting body sanctions their event as part of their official schedule.  If you have a daughter/granddaughter, try explaining why this is OK to them.

I'm sorry, I don't understand you point at all.  As it pertains to this story the only thing that matters is what the two do have in common:  Both are/were the CEO of IBM.  As I see it, here are two issues here, and two issues only.

1.  Augusta has supposedly invited all of the CEOs of IBM to be members to this point.

2.  They have, as far as we know, never invited a female.

My point is that #1 might not be the only qualification criteria. It's probable that many past CEOs of IBM fit the other criteria that get one the invite. [quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/56772/augusta-may-have-to-admit-its-first-woman-member/90#post_696732"]For all we know, they could have female members. And if that's the case, kudos for Payne for not saying hey, we got female members (if true). The club's attitude is, that's nobody's business but ours.

[/quote] It's why I find the rumors of Dr. Rice so convincing. She's wealthy, influential, and loves golf.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

How can you claim that they have absolutely nothing to do with this event when it is on their 2012 schedule and counts towards FedExCup standings?  This makes no sense.

If the Super Bowl were owned and operated by a non-NFL entity, wouldn't you think it silly if the NFL didn't even acknowledge it? Not counting a major towards season standings would destroy the credibility of the playoff system. [quote name="burtonda" url="/t/56772/augusta-may-have-to-admit-its-first-woman-member/108#post_696790"]

Their sanctioning of the event sends the message that it's OK to discriminate against women as long as the money's right and it follows sacred "tradition".  [/quote] [citation needed] -- if you're going to accuse them of something awful, have some proof. I'd like to see it. I've followed this event for years, since before I cared about golf, and I've never seen anything more than an un-backed-up assertion to support your claim. They have the perception of it, largely thanks to a media campaign by a troublemaker. But in America, we don't convict people based on accusations and perceptions; it's a gross injustice. [quote name="burtonda" url="/t/56772/augusta-may-have-to-admit-its-first-woman-member/108#post_696790"] If you have a daughter/granddaughter, try explaining why this is OK to them.

[/quote] That's easy: I explain the importance of reality vs perception.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by k-troop

So thumbs down to the dude with the sign. But having a laugh over it (cuz it's pretty effin funny) should not label anyone. Except as having a sense of humor.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by burtonda

Read what I wrote. I said they're not "holding" the event in response to your comment that " No one is forcing the PGA Tour to hold an event at Augusta National."

I'll say it again: The PGA Tour is NOT holding an event at Augusta National. Aside from sanctioning the event (so the money and points earned count for PGA Tour members), they're not doing a darn thing. T hey have zip, zilch, nada to do with holding it, hosting it, or putting it on.

Unlike normal events, for which the PGA Tour staffs the event, provides ShotLink data, scoreboards, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Shindig

My point is that #1 might not be the only qualification criteria. It's probable that many past CEOs of IBM fit the other criteria that get one the invite.

OK, I got it now.  And now that I realize that not necessarily all past CEOs have been invited (gotta read a little more carefully), then it is very reasonable to assume there is other criteria.

I don't get what the big deal is.  ANGC is a private club, they get to invite who they want to be part of their club.  As stated, they might already have female members but it's not required they disclose it.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by burtonda

I couldn't care less what these uber-rich frat boy Augusta members do at their grownup playhouse and who they choose for playdates.  I don't care if they host a tournament there every day of the year.  It becomes a problem when a major sporting body sanctions their event as part of their official schedule.  If you have a daughter/granddaughter, try explaining why this is OK to them.

I have 2 daughters and I think it's simple. Girls, Augusta is a private mens golf club, just like the Girlguides is a girls only club and your tree fort club in the backyard is girls only. Augusta has been gracious enough to allow the PGA tour to sanction an event on their course once per year. "What if a girl wanted to play in the tournament daddy?" Well she would need to qualify just like the men...

Now girls, how would you feel if daddy tried to play on the LPGA Tour?. "LOL!!! don't be silly daddy, that's a girls tour..."

In the Bag

Note: This thread is 4261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!