IGNORED

What would you shoot at Augusta....

MacGregor9
Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow its seriously short off the members tees...

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by Shorty

Well, you can say it three times if you like. Doesn't mean that you'd get within 10 shots of the good side of 100.

But - we'll never know, so whatever. You're clearly better than some of the best amateurs in the world who are playing there today.

Bearing in mind I don't play or practice much and right now I'm playing to a plus-1 handicap, I believe I would give breaking 80 a damn good shot, like most low handicappers on here. Regardless of my score, I would be disappointed not to shoot 79 or better. I find it strange you don't think a plus-1 can shoot +7 around Augusta on a Monday morning with his buddies under no pressure whatsoever.

You obviously haven't played with many PGA Tour players or played many major championship courses. Read my post above on Muirfield (Scotland). I also played Valderrama a few years ago in a big amateur tournament and won with a 78 (+6)! Valderrama is more similar to Augusta National than Muirfield, but has never hosted a major championship for obvious reasons.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I really don't care what I shot, hell I might not even keep score! Just having the opportunity to walk the same fairways & greens as the best golfers in the world have done, would be enough for me.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by GonnaBreak70

Why are most people so negative about there games? I'm alway hearing people make jokes about how little chance they have of doing this, or how bad they are at that. Like the guy on the tee that says, "I haven't hit this green in two years" or, "this hole always gets me"

My opinion is that most peoples golf games are restricted by fear and lack of confidence.

Even if your golf game isn't the best, surely constantly reminding yourself of it will have a negative effect.

Not negative just trying to be realistic.  I've played a few butt-kicker courses from the tips and it's night and day from playing your typical course, or even a hard course from 6800-7000 yards.  Heck, Bulle Rock from the tips in late spring (really thick rough) was killer.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I am guessing the odds of you(or any scratch golfer) breaking 80 are about 50/50. On a good day you go out and shoot a mid 70s. On a bad day you might be in the mid 90s. Look at the number of pros that shot +5 or worse to see how really good golfers can struggle over 1 round. There is also a huge weather factor depending on how the wind is blowing and how soft the greens are.

As far as Augusta being short off the members tees, have you seen their membership list? I doubt many of them are driving it over 200 yards these days.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Bearing in mind I don't play or practice much and right now I'm playing to a plus-1 handicap, I believe I would give breaking 80 a damn good shot, like most low handicappers on here. Regardless of my score, I would be disappointed not to shoot 79 or better. I find it strange you don't think a plus-1 can shoot +7 around Augusta on a Monday morning with his buddies under no pressure whatsoever.

You obviously haven't played with many PGA Tour players or played many major championship courses. Read my post above on Muirfield (Scotland). I also played Valderrama a few years ago in a big amateur tournament and won with a 78 (+6)! Valderrama is more similar to Augusta National than Muirfield, but has never hosted a major championship for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by x129

I am guessing the odds of you(or any scratch golfer) breaking 80 are about 50/50. On a good day you go out and shoot a mid 70s. On a bad day you might be in the mid 90s. Look at the number of pros that shot +5 or worse to see how really good golfers can struggle over 1 round. There is also a huge weather factor depending on how the wind is blowing and how soft the greens are.

Yeah, we're talking about POTENTIAL here when we discuss our handicaps.

My official handicap index is 1.4.  That means I should shoot to within 1 or 2 shots of a course rating half the time (and, in fact, I do).  That certainly doesn't mean I don't shoot 80 on easy courses, because I do.  But I also shoot below the course rating on really hard courses sometimes--mostly depending on how I'm driving the ball.  Just in my last 8 rounds I had a 74 at the Experience at Koele, rated at 75.4, and a 73 at Turtle Bay Palmer--on a very windy day--which is rated at 74.4. If I have one of those kind of days, and get the putter going, I very well might shoot 78 at Augusta.  But if I have a day like I did the other day when I shot 82 on a pretty easy course that I play all the time, well....

When I put a peg in the ground on #1, at any course, I expect to shoot 75 or better.  That's the number that will send me home feeling good about myself.  I hit that number a less than half the time, but I hit or break that number frequently enough (and I don't play pushover courses, and always from the tips) that it's a realistic expectation.  I don't see how ANGC, properly managed, couldn't be within 5 of that.  And I'm certainly not going to tee it up expecting to shoot 95.  What would be the point?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'd like to think I could break 90.  But knowing that trouble would come at some point and that it would probably be bad I'd have to say low to mid 90's.  If I shot over 100, I would probably have lost my swing completely.  I have a friend who's a 15 hcp and he got to play there and he shot 90 (although who knows what tees).  He said his game was at his best going in there too so take that for what it's worth.  It's really hard to speculate but it would be nice to give it a go!!

I find it strange you don't think a plus-1 can shoot +7 around Augusta on a Monday morning with his buddies under no pressure whatsoever.

No reason at all to think that you wouldn't beat the likes of Mike Weir, Quiros, Wagner, Wilson, Sabbatini, Langer, Dyson, Cabrera Cantlay when they're having a bad day like they each have over the last couple of days.

You'd be able to take their money easily.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

No reason at all to think that you wouldn't beat the likes of Mike Weir, Quiros, Wagner, Wilson, Sabbatini, Langer, Dyson, Cabrera Cantlay when they're having a bad day like they each have over the last couple of days.

You'd be able to take their money easily.

Big difference between what he said and the words you're trying to put in his mouth. Just sayin'.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Big difference between what he said and the words you're trying to put in his mouth. Just sayin'.

I don't know about that. He is saying that he'd be disappointed if he didn't break 80. He has the right to say that, of course he does.

Of course a +1 COULD shooot 78 or 79 there.

My point is that if you look at what can happen on that course in a hurry, the scores add up.

You've only got to look at Garcia's putt from just off the green on 18. Most guys would knock that 20 feet past.

Most amateurs would have longer putts for their second than first putts on some holes.

A person  could hit 18 greens there and not break 80 if they weren't hitting them close. And they are "slow" this week.

If the players I mentioned are having 78s and 79s the day after par rounds, I am looking at 79 as an exceptionally good score for a genuine +1 with the course set up as it is for the pros.

You've only got to look at Garcia's putt from just off the green on 18. Most guys would knock that 20 feet past.

Most guys perhaps, but not plus one handicappers. Most plus one handicappers would have done exactly what Sergio did and knock it a couple of feet by the hole. You picked a very poor example there.

I think your problem is you are a little starstruck.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Most guys perhaps, but not plus one handicappers. Most plus one handicappers would have done exactly what Sergio did and knock it a couple of feet by the hole. You picked a very poor example there.

I think your problem is you are a little starstruck.

Your problem might be that you exaggerate your ability.

For all I know you might go around in 77.

Fact is, if you placed a ball on every green 30 feet from the hole in the wrong spot, but in regulation, you may not break 80.

That means that for you to hit the ball in the right spot and putt well you'd have to do better than that.

It would have to be a very good day for you.

• Administrator

Your problem might be that you exaggerate your ability.

For all I know you might go around in 77.

Fact is, if you placed a ball on every green 30 feet from the hole in the wrong spot, but in regulation, you may not break 80.

That means that for you to hit the ball in the right spot and putt well you'd have to do better than that.

It would have to be a very good day for you.

Shorty, do you have a point or are you just feeling good about yourself by telling someone you've never met what he can and can't do? Enough already.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nobody can really state what they would go round in anyway....all depends what kind of day you are having. Sure if I was playing my absolute best and knew the course well, then breaking 80 is a real possibility, but you never know what kind of round you are going to have - especially round Augusta as has been witnessed already.

I'm a little disappointed every time I don't break 80 regardless of where I play. I suspect I'd leave Augusta being impressed by the course and disappointed with my score. If I was truly a real +1, I'd expect to break 80.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Of course a +1 COULD shooot 78 or 79 there.

A person  could hit 18 greens there and not break 80 if they weren't hitting them close. And they are "slow" this week.

If the players I mentioned are having 78s and 79s the day after par rounds, I am looking at 79 as an exceptionally good score for a genuine +1 with the course set up as it is for the pros.

The beauty of that course is that the pin locations mean everything.  They COULD set it up so that even Tiger couldn't break 80--just make the greens hard as bricks and put every flag on a peak.  But they don't set it up like that all four days.  And the greens are "tournament conditions" today, and yesterday, and tomorrow--regardless of how slow you think they are.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

First some assumptions... Assume you are naturally long off the tee, assume you are a very good putter, and assume you have played under pressure at serious golf tournaments.  Add to that a scratch or near scratch handicap on a course or courses that are serious tracks.  If you have all that then how well you would play at Augusta National becomes a question of how well you can follow the exact instructions of the local caddies.  They know when an extra club is needed, they know the putting lines and more importantly where you should think you are putting your ball to stop (which is not where the ball will stop.)  A good caddie is critical.  There is no reason if you can follow the caddy's advice and execute the shots that you should not be in the 70's or low 80's.  It is an extremely difficult course to play but a good caddy who figures out your tendancies is absolutely required.  Maybe after 20 or so rounds, you will be able to play decently reading your own putts, but trust me, you cannot read your putts the first few times -- I know.

RC

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!