IGNORED

Titleist Velocity vs. NXT Tour (and tour S)

Note: This thread is 3830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I ahted the NXT Tour S. It gave no distance, no spin, no feel at ALL! Granted it was my crappiest round all year, so maybe some archer not arrow, but the only plus to them is that titleist looks sweet in yellow.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by JohnLund

OK...I finally got to try out the new NXT Tour S. Love the feel around the greens and I gained a few yards over the E-6s I've been playing recently. All in all I love the ball. There's just one thing and I thought I would ask you folks if you have experienced this. I have played two rounds starting each round with a new NXT Tour S. On both days after the round the ball looked beat even with no tree or cart path hits. My wedges peel the skin off like grated parmesan cheese. After one round the S's looked like my E-6s do after three rounds. Do you think the new NXT Tour S's are less durable than other balls you have used of late? If I can only get one round out of a ball, that makes the S's expensive. I can get two sometimes three rounds out of a ProV1 which makes the S's about equal in price. What is your experience?

Hi John,

I've had the same problem with the NXT Tour ball, my wedges just eat them up.  I even marred one with a solid 3 hybrid.

I really love the Bridgestone RX-300S, but at $46 a dozen I wanted to try something different so I bought a box of the Tours.  I'm almost through with this box, then I have a box of NXT Tour S to try, but if they don't hold up any better I'll probably switch back to Bridgestone.

Joel

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

Hi John,

I've had the same problem with the NXT Tour ball, my wedges just eat them up.  I even marred one with a solid 3 hybrid.

I really love the Bridgestone RX-300S, but at $46 a dozen I wanted to try something different so I bought a box of the Tours.  I'm almost through with this box, then I have a box of NXT Tour S to try, but if they don't hold up any better I'll probably switch back to Bridgestone.

Joel

Thanks for the reply Joel. Let me know how the NXT Tour S performs for you. I think I know the answer already though. I tried another S today and it looks like it can make another round. Really like the S's performance in every other way.

Cheers,

John

OK...I finally got to try out the new NXT Tour S. Love the feel around the greens and I gained a few yards over the E-6s I've been playing recently. All in all I love the ball. There's just one thing and I thought I would ask you folks if you have experienced this. I have played two rounds starting each round with a new NXT Tour S. On both days after the round the ball looked beat even with no tree or cart path hits. My wedges peel the skin off like grated parmesan cheese. After one round the S's looked like my E-6s do after three rounds. Do you think the new NXT Tour S's are less durable than other balls you have used of late? If I can only get one round out of a ball, that makes the S's expensive. I can get two sometimes three rounds out of a ProV1 which makes the S's about equal in price. What is your experience?

If you are getting 2 or 3 rounds out of the SAME ball, I suppose only getting 1 round out of an S would make it expensive. When is the last time you fired one OB or into a hazard and you lost the ball? My experience is that I use 2 to 3 balls per round, not 2 to 3 rounds per ball.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I understand that golf balls are much the same as a tee in that they are disposable part of the game.  Sometimes I dispose of them in the weeds on accident and other times I just scuff them up enough that I don't wanna game them anymore.  Its just the nature of the beast and it is the LAST thing I worry about when choosing a ball that feels great to me.

I play tour S balls and  I don't really think they get scuffed any worse than the other balls I was using (Pro V1/X, Srixon Z star) the price definitely makes them better, in my book.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I had to laugh at your response JMDMBIKE. Thanks for the dig! I mean it. I guess if I have a strength in my game, accuracy would be it...that and an OK short game I guess. You see I rarely ever lose or sink my golf ball therefore the durability thing I brought up. You are right of course, the new NXT Tour S is a great ball. I have chosen to use it for the summer as my main ammunition. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Domenic

I ahted the NXT Tour S. It gave no distance, no spin, no feel at ALL! Granted it was my crappiest round all year, so maybe some archer not arrow, but the only plus to them is that titleist looks sweet in yellow.

Wow.  "no distance, no spin, no feel at ALL!"

Whatever.  I hit them about as far as anything else I play.  My low round of the year thus far was with the NXT Tour S.  Make decent contact, and they spin fine -- both from the fairway and on those 10-20 pitches.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

I had to laugh at your response JMDMBIKE. Thanks for the dig! I mean it. I guess if I have a strength in my game, accuracy would be it...that and an OK short game I guess. You see I rarely ever lose or sink my golf ball therefore the durability thing I brought up. You are right of course, the new NXT Tour S is a great ball. I have chosen to use it for the summer as my main ammunition. Thanks guys.

I'm kinda envious, to tell you the truth. I played today and had a good round, just lost one in a hazard. My personal record is 11, but I while I don't do that anymore, I can honestly say I can count on one hand the number of times I started and finished a round with the same ball!!!! It's impressive. The NXT Tour S is a nice ball. I received one of the Titleist cubes earlier this year (9 balls) and there were a couple included. Liked them, but yeah you guessed it, they're long gone....Fore!!!

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 2 months later...
My fiance is buying me a box of Titleists.. but i dont know which to get!!! (Not named prov's) My swing speed is 95.. and i just want to keep it on the fairway. Fighting a slight slice. I do not like my Gamer V2s.. feel heavy and too soft. Come on pros.. help an oblivious member out.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

If you want less side spin and more distance then velocity is absolutely the answer. But what I have learned was that If I hit a good drive with a pro v1 or a velocity they will both be down where I want. If i hit a bad drive with either they are both 2 fairways away. The difference I notice is around the greens which is really what you have to buy your ball for. Dont expect a slice with a nxt tour to turn into a baby fade with a velocity. A slice will be a slice until you fix your swing.

SO. I would go with more spin and the nxt tour but the velocity will be farther and a little straighter but dont expect to hold a green.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

My short game is nice. Wedges and all.. so I do need the ball to stop. I can hit it straight off the tee, i have the ability and the form at my disposal, but of course the slice is the issue if there is one, so if a lot of spin off the tee will make that worse, I do not want that.

I bought a sleeve of the nxt tours and the bridgestone e6.. so i will see how they play this weekend when i go out.

the shop has a bunch of other sleeves, so any other suggestions i could try out.

I do not like the heavy feeling of the Gamer V2s.. I'm sure I've mentioned that already, I dont know if that's because of my driver [in signature], or it's just not the right ball for me.. compression, 3 piece ball, etc etc..

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

My short game is nice. Wedges and all.. so I do need the ball to stop. I can hit it straight off the tee, i have the ability and the form at my disposal, but of course the slice is the issue if there is one, so if a lot of spin off the tee will make that worse, I do not want that.

I bought a sleeve of the nxt tours and the bridgestone e6.. so i will see how they play this weekend when i go out.

the shop has a bunch of other sleeves, so any other suggestions i could try out.

I do not like the heavy feeling of the Gamer V2s.. I'm sure I've mentioned that already, I dont know if that's because of my driver [in signature], or it's just not the right ball for me.. compression, 3 piece ball, etc etc..

I actually started with the e6's then I changed to nxt tours and now im playin v1x's

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

• 3 weeks later...

I have been gaming the Velocity for a while now and continue to like it. Nothing really new to report, but for my game, it's a decent ball. It stops well on greens and feels good with the driver. Can't ask for much more.

In the Puma Orange Formation Stand Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ (10.25)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Diablo Octane (3,5,7,9)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro (6-PW) 

Wedges: Mizuno JPX (50, 55, & 60)

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

Ball: Titleist DT Solo

Both the NXT and Velocity are longer than my previous balls. I have noticed that they both scuff easier than the Callaway and Slazanger balls I used to play.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

OK, I cheated. I admit it. I went back to the ProV1 I have always loved. But, get this, I get them for $15 a dozen off the standard price which makes them an OK deal. Well, the next bit is a bit embarrassing. The ones I have been playing the past month are ProV1 Practice balls. A buddy gave me a dozen. I checked, the only thing different about them is there might be a small paint blemish, or the number or stamping may be off. I love the ProV1 it is still the best ball out there.

• 2 months later...

I just bought the NXT Tour S balls to compare against the Bridgestone E6 and Srxion Q-Star.

So far, I'm giving the Q-Star the nod. The Tour S is not as soft on the greens, at least for me.

However, I'm going to keep play them until I gain more or less conviction and play just one ball.

Me or you one must have been smoking crack.

How much yardage were you actually giving up? The difference between different models of golf balls is just 4 yards.

I can tell you for a fact this isn't true. I have played the Velocity and ProV1 side by side for 2 months now. The Velocity is regularly 10 yards longer than the ProV, no matter the club. Even short par 3's I can see a 10 yard difference between the 2 balls. I don't care what the titleist robot data shows. In a real world application, the Velocity is more than 4 yards longer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!