IGNORED

Looking to add a 52 degree wedge

Note: This thread is 3355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So my game is finally progressing. I am hitting my short irons more consistant than ever. I have a very basic set (Walter Hagen MS2). The only other club i have in my bad is a cleveland 60 degree. I am not sure what the bounce is. It was given to me from a friend who I assume replaced it with another club. I like the club a lot and it is obviously better quality than my $200 complete set.

I want to add a 52 degree wedge since I have a 60 and my sand wedge is 56. I have been advised to get a Cleveland at my local golf store. The man working there told me it is much better than most other wedges. Does anyone use cleveland wedges or can anyone inform me on wedges in general?

Also, I was told I should use a higher bounce around 12. How important is bounce when hitting from the fairway? What bounce would you suggest?

Maltby site (shown at end) has diagrams of how bounce is measured; I just rebuilt my computer, and don't yet have software installed which would allow me to access the pictures directly.

Quick study on bounce: Low-bounce wedges work best if you have firm fairways and fairly heavy sand in the bunkers you play. High bounce works best if you have plush fairways and soft sand where you play.

Bounce keeps the clubhead from "digging in" to the turf or sand, helps clubhead skim a bit more. Danger of high bounce on hard surfaces: club can ricochet off hard turf and give you a skull shot.

Also, there's the factor of your own swing. High bounce is better for "diggers," who take fairly deep divots // low bounce is better for  "sweepers," who take shallower divots. Many golf shops offer wedge fittings in which they determine what amount of bounce would be best for you in "normal" turf conditions.

Also, check out the short-game videos on Callaway and YouTube... and, read up on Skor v-sole http://www.scorgolf.com/ and other wedges which allow you to vary the bounce on a given shot. You can also do this by manipulating hand and set-up positions on standard wedges.

Read all about Playability of Wedges and bounce on Ralph Maltby's link: http://ralphmaltby.com/50

I like both Cleveland and Callaway wedges (Callaway for high bounce as is SW). But, I'll let others compare wedge brands and models.

Edit: added Maltby site link.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Maltby site (shown at end) has diagrams of how bounce is measured; I just rebuilt my computer, and don't yet have software installed which would allow me to access the pictures directly.

Quick study on bounce: Low-bounce wedges work best if you have firm fairways and fairly heavy sand in the bunkers you play. High bounce works best if you have plush fairways and soft sand where you play.

Bounce keeps the clubhead from "digging in" to the turf or sand, helps clubhead skim a bit more. Danger of high bounce on hard surfaces: club can ricochet off hard turf and give you a skull shot.

Also, there's the factor of your own swing. High bounce is better for "diggers," who take fairly deep divots // low bounce is better for  "sweepers," who take shallower divots. Many golf shops offer wedge fittings in which they determine what amount of bounce would be best for you in "normal" turf conditions.

Also, check out the short-game videos on Callaway and YouTube... and, read up on Skor v-sole http://www.scorgolf.com/ and other wedges which allow you to vary the bounce on a given shot. You can also do this by manipulating hand and set-up positions on standard wedges.

Read all about Playability of Wedges and bounce on Ralph Maltby's link:  http://ralphmaltby.com/50

I like both Cleveland and Callaway wedges (Callaway for high bounce as is SW). But, I'll let others compare wedge brands and models.

Edit: added Maltby site link.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

I am not sure what the bounce is on my SW but I can see why I hit it better and more consistant than my 60 degree.

I do want to get a 52 degree wedge primarily for shorter fairway shots, so it seems I need a good amount of bounce but I do not want too much. Would you suggest something like an 8 or a 10?

i play cleveland CG14's in 52/12 and 58/12 configurations...and they are great wedges from most any lie.  8-12 degrees of bounce in a wedge should work for most lies, I feel.

Originally Posted by iacas

I dunno.

I have a 60 coming with 22 and a 54 with 14, I believe. :)

The 60, that's extreme.  :-)

My 60 is 15, 56 is 12 and the 49 is 8. I use a 49-52 for full swings, it's basically a PW, and for chipping from far off the green - and that's about it. It is basically an old school PW -- I want it to go high and stop in its tracks. I'm not a big believer in too much bounce for non-specialty clubs.

Originally Posted by bobsuruncle

i play cleveland CG14's in 52/12 and 58/12 configurations...and they are great wedges from most any lie.  8-12 degrees of bounce in a wedge should work for most lies, I feel.

I was looking into the CG14 and trying to compare it with the CG15 and CG16. Im not looking to use it in the sand as of now. Maybe down the road I will experiment with it there, but for now I need to fill in the gap on fairway shots.

I think the CG16 (probably what I am going to end up buying) comes with a bounce of 10 or 8. I have to go back to Dick's to see what the options are. I'd like to test them both out before I make my decision. But I cant wait to finally get a gap wedge!!!!

ChrisFav , The CG14 and CG16 feel very similar to each other. CG14 has a gold or black gel insert on back of the clubhead, the CG16 has a little carve-out slot near where the 14's gel would be.

Some describe the 14 and the 16 as cavity-back. This is incorrect. The two have a bit of perimeter-weighting, but no cavity.

CG12 and CG15 have more of a blade head design. Not too many new CG12's around any more, most available ones are used.

I you go onto the Cleveland web site, you can probably find the CG14 link which contains the different loft and bounce options.

Note: This thread is 3355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!