IGNORED

The most exciting golfer ever?

buj77
Note: This thread is 4389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who in your opinion is/was the most exciting pro golfer to watch (since the advent of the sport on TV)?

• Arnold Palmer
    • Seve Ballesteros
    • Jack Nicklaus
    • Tom Watson
    • Greg Norman
    • Tiger Woods
    • John Daly

Seve without any doubt. Golfing genius. The thing about him was he was exciting when he was playing badly. He didn't have to be on his game to be exciting.

• Upvote 1

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

I'm quite curious about the results so far (not a big sample admitedly)...Jack was/is the most dominant golfer of all time...much the same (but more dominant) as Tiger is in this era...they both could/did hit the ball a long way compared to thier contemporaries...they both had/have nerves of steel...and they both intimidated whomever they played against (though I believe that Jack had far tougher opposition to contend with...first, Snead and Arnie, then Watson/Miller/Travino, followed by young Seve/young Norman/young Faldo). Wonder why Jack hasn't got any votes at all, while Tiger is running away with it.

Tiger Woods no doubt. I would of loved to see Bobby Jones play at 14 in the US Open first player to win a grand slam and that term wasn't even invented. He remained an amateur and retired at 28 with 13 majors. Incrediable. And a huge thank you to him for the Masters without him a a couple of others we would have it.

I think its hard to pick anyone other than Tiger but Seve runs him close. I voted for Seve by the way. They say Hogan was also pretty electric to follow but Seve mesmorised everyone from spectators to playing partners, Ryder Cup team mates and opponents, TV audiences, officials and of course the ladies. OK I could be talking about Tiger here except for the Ryder Cup.

What?!   Where's Phil The Thrill?!

No one like him when he's hitting on all cylinders ....drives himself into trouble and pulls repeated rabbits out of his hat to escape pending disaster...over and over again....watching Phil on those days is like the "Perils of Pauline"....

he's a tightrope walking magician working without a net.

Depends on your definition of "exciting" I guess.

My definition is someone that was never out of a hole, that could strike like lightning from anywhere. Someone with unpredictability off the tee coupled with awesome creativity to get out of the jams he put himself in. Someone that, just when you think he's out of it, does something insanely brilliant, like making birdie from a parking lot at the British Open.

Someone like Seve Ballesteros.

• Upvote 1

Tiger, because he has hit shots that are so unbelievable, and won in situations that are truly incredible. Always more fun to watch when he is in the hunt.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

My heart say Arnie but the brain says Tiger.  I voted for Tiger.  To me exciting is about hitting shots only a few players could pull off and making things happen.  Tough to go against Tiger

I suppose if pure shotmaking comes into play I'd go with Tiger, JD, and Seve in that order, but guys like Phil, Lanny Wadkins, Bubba Watson, and Rory will be in the conversation.

Originally Posted by mvmac

How about Bubba?

Yes, Bubba.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Yes, Bubba.

Hallburn+Pat+myself+on+the+back.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Yes, Bubba.

I've done a pretty good job refraining from doing that over the years. And you know it's True.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

I've done a pretty good job refraining from doing that over the years. And you know it's True.

It's okay. I know you can take it. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It seems like individual definitions of what is exciting vary a bit. Do you get excited when a difficult shot is well executed under pressure especially on the big stage, like the majors? Others value pure creativity more and the stage is less important. I would belong to the second group and picked Seve.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Pretty easy for me, Tiger Woods. Haven't seen Arnold, Seve, Jack or Greg in action. Tom Watson isn't as exciting anymore. Daly? Haven't seen a whole lot of him either. He takes the tantrums to the extreme. Not a fan of his pants either. If I was to choose from players I've actually seen, it would still be Tiger. The way he's dominated makes him exciting to watch for me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!