IGNORED

Chafing while/after walking a round

green6767
Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I did a search on it and got nothing. Hopefully its appropriate for this forum, as I feel I'm not the only one with this issue at times.

On longer rounds, mainly on hotter days, I get chafing in the groin/buttock area. I am a male of course, I but I have heard it can happen to females also. I have also heard it can happen regardless of weight or size. I didn't feel it till after my round today and I remember the feeling from last season also and never really did anything about it besides not golf for a day or two. I dont want to have to wait a day or two without golfing if at all possible. I plan on golfing on a daily basis, so I was wondering if anybody had any advice?

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most athletes have this issue at some point. I play soccer as well, and it's more of an issue there for me than it is on the golf course, but it definitely happens on hot days. Here are my two pieces of advise.

1) Gold Bond

2) Under Armour compression shorts. They fit so tight to your legs that your legs won't rub together.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I'm a big guy, and the problem affects me most when it's really humid. I agree totally with the above post. Gold Bond powder is great for prevention, and they also have a cooling product for treatment after the damage has been done. Also, tight fitting shorts will keep the rub from starting. This can be a near debilitating injury though.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

I agree with the "can be a near debiliating injury" completely. I had some days last year where I contemplated quiting my round early to prevent further damage. I have heard gold bond works well and I do have some compression shorts as I will try those also. I had a feeling there were more people than just me on here experiencing the same issues.

In The Bag:

Yesterday I read a suggestion on another golf site that also sounded good: wearing bicycling shorts under your regular shorts. Same principle as the under armor shorts I think.

Since I already have a couple pairs of bicycling shorts, I may give this one a try once it gets hot and steamy here.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

2 words!!! BODY GLIDE!!

http://www.bodyglide.com/

They sell it at dicks and the stuff is awesome.

Bag: Discovery
Driver: r7 460 Driver weighted neutral
Fairway:r7 FW 3 w/ Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid:Rescue 16 & 19
Irons:RAC OS 3-PW +1.25" Wedge:r7 SWPutter: Circa 62 #5Balls:NXT or ProV1'sTrying: Tour Model Blades

2 words!!! BODY GLIDE!!

I've also heard this stuff works great. I thought about the bicycle shorts too, but as an avid cycler myself, my shorts have some padding in the seat area that would be quite noticable under regular pants or shorts. Last thing I want my fellow golfers in my group to whisper as Im teeing off: "Look at the guy who has to wear Depends". HAHA. I'll try out the previous suggestions and go from there.

In The Bag:

I've also heard this stuff works great. I thought about the bicycle shorts too, but as an avid cycler myself, my shorts have some padding in the seat area that would be quite noticable under regular pants or shorts. Last thing I want my fellow golfers in my group to whisper as Im teeing off: "Look at the guy who has to wear Depends". HAHA. I'll try out the previous suggestions and go from there.

Or worse... "Look at that guy -- he's got a load in his drawers!"

I'd rather have them make fun of me than suffer a round with severe chafing though.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

ya, baby powder works so well

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

really common here in az. swamp ass or monkey butt is the technical term. just slap a layer of gold bond on the undercarriage and you'll be set.

We call it Waiters Crack here.

Bag: Discovery
Driver: r7 460 Driver weighted neutral
Fairway:r7 FW 3 w/ Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid:Rescue 16 & 19
Irons:RAC OS 3-PW +1.25" Wedge:r7 SWPutter: Circa 62 #5Balls:NXT or ProV1'sTrying: Tour Model Blades

• 3 years later...
I seem to have the same problem on hot and humid days and the past few weeks have been terrible. I'm gonna try using that sports glide. Baby Powder, Baby Oil, & Gold Bond Seem to work but I've never tried the Normal gold bond I just have the medicated stuff and that works great after if you have chaffing problems. This is prolly the most common set back for me on the golf course when it comes to any type of injuries (if you could call it one). Great topic
Currently In My Bag: Driver- Taylor Made 300 Ti 9.5 Degree Stiff Flex; Woods - None Currently In The Bag; Irons - Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) Stiff Flex Steel; Wedge - Macgregor VIP Tourney Foil 60 Degree Lob Wedge; Putter - Taylor Made Rossa CGB Daytona 1 34" Length

This is why compression shorts were invented. Go now. Buy compression shorts. You will be happy you did

In the bag: I'm not a complete nike fanboy.. I just happened to pull some strings and get fitted at the oven
Driver| SQ Machspeed 8.5
Fairway Woods|3,5| SQ Machspeed fairway woods
Hybrids |3,4 iron| SQ Machspeed hybrid
Irons|PW-5| Split Cavity Forged IronWedges| 54 bent to 53 and 58...

you could also slick the boys and the rest of the "undercarriage" up with some vaseline. Pretty decent job at preventing chafing. I've tried compression shorts and all that other stuff but it does you no good if they don't fit absolutely snug. If you get a pair, buy some with short legs and not ones that come down near the knee.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Here's another vote for Body Glide. It works wonders for long distance runners and consistently prevented major problems for me when I was putting in lots of miles on both the road and trail. I imagine it would work just fine for a gentle walk around the golf course.

In my Ogio Grom bag:

Driver: Hi-Bore XLS Tour 9.5° / Fujikura Fit-On M Red / S
3W: G15 15.5° / Serrano 75 / S
Hybrid: G15 20° / TFC 149 H / SIrons: R7 4i-PW / T-Step 90 / SWedges: R7 AW 50° | Spin Milled Tour Chrome 54°-08, 58°-12Putter: Classic #2Ball: Gamer V2

Those of you with kids will understand this, but if you get the chafing during the round and want to relive the redness and soreness when you get home, the best things are the diaper rash creams. Butt Paste, Super Duper Diaper Doo, A&D; Ointment, etc., all of these will have you good as new if you put in on after your post round shower and are dried off. I have this problem every once in a while and this works overnight and will have you back to normal by morning.

I have not tried it before a round, only after. So I don't know if it would be a preventative measure, or just relief after.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!