IGNORED

Closest Call/ Worst thing you've hit with a golf ball?

MacGregor9
Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also, I was hit by a ball for the first time the other day.  Pushed a drive into the trees to the right.  Another fairway past the trees on a hole coming back the other way. See my ball, and walking up to it, pretty much right in between two fairways, a ball suddenly flies through the tree above me to my right and smacks me right in the thigh.  Came about 3" from shattering the family jewels.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

My wife.

I had a 75 yard or so 58* full wedge shot in.    Was focusing on my set up & didn't see her drive the cart up from behind me on the path to my right.     Right about when I initiated my downswing, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her step out of the cart about 25 yards up and to my right.     Momentary lack of concentration - hit a total shank & watched the ball scream about 3 ft over her head.    Took us both a few holes to settle down after that one - she learned a valuable lesson in cart navigation that day.

Excuse me but the topic is about the worst thing....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There have been a number of oddities during my golfing career. The one that stands out the most where I was hitting a shot happened last year. I pushed my 2nd shot on a par 5 to the right on the opposite hole. About 50 yards in front of me, there was a guy mowing the grass in line with the hole. I tell him to move since he's in my way and only moves about five feet to the right. I hesitate, knowing it's not nearly enough, but he just stands there looking at me holding his ground. I end up hitting a screamer no more than 10 feet off the ground, forcing him to hit the deck.

As for playing partners, my dad once hit himself. It was a par 5 that doglegged left. His first pushed right along a treeline, but he still had a favorable angle coming back. Unfortunately for him, he pushed his shot right, struck a tree, and nailed himself right in the Twins bullpen. Luckily, he was okay (and I, already born), but he definitely took a shot.

Lastly, I've come to believe in reverse-karma. Same course, following hole as the first story. We were waiting for a par 3 to clear and my friend was getting impatient. He was messing around with his 3-wood that he won in a closest-to-the-pin contest, but never had the chance to use. 90 degrees to his left, he saw an opening between the tips of the trees. He teed up a old ball, and pounded it. A few seconds later, we heard what sounded like a car crash. The main road went perpendicular to his ill-advised shot and struck a car. Said car actually went in reverse maybe a fifth of a mile to see what happened as my friend tried to look as innocent as possible (the guy drove away a few seconds later). As I left the course at the end of the day, a bladed shot went through the previous hole and hit the hood of my Civic. No significant damage, but the golf gods really should have punished the guy who hit the shot.

I never really hit anything personally but I did have a pretty close call a few weeks ago.

Was playing with my Dad and he lines up to hit his 3 hybrid,  I was probably standing to his right probably about 20-30 yards away and felt like I was perfectly save.  Luckily I was paying attention to his shot because he skulled the ball so bad it was coming straight for my head.  I dove onto the ground just in time and the ball nailed the club that I was holding which was still in the air right around where my head was a second before.

I hit my own cart once too on a really bad shot and it ended up behind where I hit from.

i almost hit my coach yesterday. he was sitting in a cart and i sliced my 7 iron. i yelled FORE and it luckiliy hit off the cart path and under the cart. scary though.

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

Definitely worst thing I ever hit with a golf ball was when I was about 8 years old in my front yard. After being told not to hit real golf balls in the yard, what did I proceed to do? Put one right through a church window next to our house. In my defense it was a downhill lie in about 2 ½ inch grass and I was using a cut-down 3 wood so I never dreamed I would even get the ball in the air. Thankfully the church had some back-up window panes and I, along with my parents, were grateful it wasn’t one of the stained-glass windows!!

See you on the course.

I can't recall hitting anything out of the ordinary, but my friend hit a low screamer that was chasing a car down the entrance road to the golf course, we were sure it was going to nail the car, when it skipped of the road and hit the undercarriage of the car.  The car kept moving and the ball was bouncing like a basketball under the car.  I'm sure the gentleman in the car must have thought he dropped an engine or something, we tried not to laugh, didn't want the gentleman to think it was intentional or embarrass our friend but.......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I was out at Temecula Creek Inn golf course on a weekend business golf trip. We were teed up at hole #1 and about 20 yds in from of the tee box were about 30 mud hens. I teed up the ball, took my swing and hit a low, speeding bullet right into one of them. "Thump!". They all scattered and the one I hit hobbled off into the trees. You can imagine all the "birdie" jokes.

Well, coming off the green on # 9 I was putting my putter back in my bag and looked over towards the trees towards hole 1. there was the mud hen, dead as can be. I felt pretty bad.

Two incidents.  First was at the range many years ago where I hit the ball backwards and it landed on a vehicle that was occupied by the owner.  I think the owner was so stunned someone could actually hit a ball backwards that they did not do anything but laugh.

Second was last year.  My tee shot went dead left, hit a tree, and nearly took out an Asian guy on the adjacent green.  After he finished the hole, he came up to the tee I was on and in a soft, Japanese accent kindly said, "I believe this is your ball."

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I don't recall ever having hit anything of note before but I've been around a few. When I was in my mid/late teens I would go and play at this really low end 9 hole course that was basically constructed around someone's house. It was a super cheap place for my friend and I to go and learn, and I think we paid like $10 and could play all day. Well one time we were at the first tee waiting to go and this tee was basically beside the little out house were you paid to play. They had a large net to protect those paying and waiting. So we're standing there watching these folks tee off and one guy just _nailed_ a shot, which went under the net, and hit a guy in the thigh who couldn't have been more than 20 yards away. The sound alone hurt me. Same course, many years ago... hole 2 is a super short par 3 that runs completely parallel with the road in front of the course. There's _nothing_ separating the two, nothing. I saw more cars struck on that tee box than I can remember. Just 2 weeks ago I was playing with a friend and we were approaching a green that completely backed up to a road. They had a fence and a some brush to separate the two. Well, my friend really got a hold of one that skipped past the green, bounced off the mound behind the green, and blasted the rear door of an SUV driving by at 35-40 mph. The person driving barely let off the gas but definitely noticed something happened, as I saw her head flash back towards the door. She didn't stop and so we didn't get to access the damage but he nailed that door.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!