Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jcard71

Rocketballz face angle?

Recommended Posts

I just bought the RBZ driver and so far I really like it, but was trying to understand which setting would allow me to close the face angle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

When you go up in loft; you close the face. When you go down; you open it. And when you go up or down in loft your changing the face angle double the amount that you're changing the loft. So if you raised the loft .75 degrees then you'd be closing the face 1.5 degrees. Raise the loft 1.5 degrees then you'd close it 3 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Umm are you sure? I don't see how anything besides simply rotating the face open or closed with your hands will cause the face to open or close.

Originally Posted by gordo865

When you go up in loft; you close the face. When you go down; you open it. And when you go up or down in loft your changing the face angle double the amount that you're changing the loft. So if you raised the loft .75 degrees then you'd be closing the face 1.5 degrees. Raise the loft 1.5 degrees then you'd close it 3 degrees.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The way the club works if you change the loft by moving the clubhead to a different position on the FCT sleeve then you also change the face angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


But is that not the same as simply rotating the face open or closed at address?

Originally Posted by gordo865

The way the club works if you change the loft by moving the clubhead to a different position on the FCT sleeve then you also change the face angle.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by gordo865

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....


Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like you adjust the club for every shot. You go out on the range and see how you're hitting it that day and if you're not getting the ball flight you want you can make an adjustment. And let's keep in mind it's meant to TUNE.  Not be a cure for a slice or a hook. At most with the RBZ you can only open or close the face 3 degrees. Think about how miniscule 3 degrees is for a second. Another thing is that a lot of these pro golfers have these tour vans and they can get this super custom fit club for them. The average joe doesn't have a tour van but an adjustable club helps fine tune the club to be exactly what you need. Most people I know or have heard of will change the settings when they first buy the club to be the way they like it and then never change it again. I for one have an R11s and have it set to 8.25 degrees of loft and have the sole plate in the first open position and the 10 gram weight in the toe. So I've got my face open 3 degrees which is nice because I have a tendency to pull it a little but and that helps me keep it slightly more manageable if one gets away from me. That's the way I set it when I bought it and it hasn't changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)


I disagree.

I think it's all about fitting. If you're using club adjustability to fix swing flaws then good luck, because that doesn't really work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades


Yes but its open or closed in relation to what, the line on the grip? (i.e. "neutral" position)

If thats it, it seems silly, I mean lets say you put a grip on that had no alignment lines, the whole mechanism would be moot.

Originally Posted by gordo865

Think of it like trying to slice a loaf of bread by hand. You're trying to get each slice to be exactly .25" inches thick. If you put that in a bread slicer you know you'll get that exact thickness and you'll get it in a much more consistent patter than if you did it with a knife by hand. We call this innovation. In other words having an adjustable club makes it so you don't have to try and close or open it with your hands. It does it for you.....



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Nah it's more like the person trying to cut the bread can't be bothered to practice and cut it well themselves, they want a one-size-only bread slicer so that they don't have to. Then when they buy their bread slicer and throw their knife away but decide one day that they want thicker/thinner slices they can't have them because their bread slicer only cuts one size.

Some of us enjoy the process of learning how to cut bread well and consistently so that in the future we can choose the thickness of our bread (hit draw or fade as needed)

I disagree.

I think it's all about fitting. If you're using club adjustability to fix swing flaws then good luck, because that doesn't really work.


That's what I mean... If I'm not able to keep the ball in play it's likely a swing flaw. For me personally I'd rather address that swing flaw than buy a tool to fix it for me, which is undoubtedly what I lot of people would buy an adjustable driver for. "I have a horribly uncontrollable slice with my driver, therefore I'll buy a draw driver to reduce it"

If the club's purchased in order to let the player use their normal driver swing but adjust it to a draw or fade depending on the course they're playing or tune it as Gordo mentioned then that makes a little more sense but again I personally would rather learn how to hit that shot than have something do it (or help to do it) for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by gordo865

It's not like you adjust the club for every shot. You go out on the range and see how you're hitting it that day and if you're not getting the ball flight you want you can make an adjustment. And let's keep in mind it's meant to TUNE.  Not be a cure for a slice or a hook. At most with the RBZ you can only open or close the face 3 degrees. Think about how miniscule 3 degrees is for a second. Another thing is that a lot of these pro golfers have these tour vans and they can get this super custom fit club for them. The average joe doesn't have a tour van but an adjustable club helps fine tune the club to be exactly what you need. Most people I know or have heard of will change the settings when they first buy the club to be the way they like it and then never change it again. I for one have an R11s and have it set to 8.25 degrees of loft and have the sole plate in the first open position and the 10 gram weight in the toe. So I've got my face open 3 degrees which is nice because I have a tendency to pull it a little but and that helps me keep it slightly more manageable if one gets away from me. That's the way I set it when I bought it and it hasn't changed.



Uh 3 degrees on a 250 plus yard club is pretty huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree but it's not like it's the type of thing that is gonna make someone go from slicing it into the woods to hitting it dead straight. You still have to be able to hit the ball well and consistently in order for the adjustable factor of a club to take effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, try adjusting it to see what helps close the face, as you work on on your swing.

Assuming the open face is the issue. There are many causes of an open face.

But you're better off in practice keeping it neutral and add fixing the swing or taking lessons to address your issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great info here.

Do you think raising the lost .75 which closes the face cause you to lose any distance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That depends. I would recommend going somewhere where there is a launch monitor and hitting it a few times and figure out what to do based on your numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a slice with my driver. I know that I'm. It turning my hands over through the swing but it's really difficult to fix. The slightly open clubtace causes my slice. Sinnce I got the RBZ driver and closed the faced slightly, I'm hitting it much straighter, a slight draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also lefty and it appears to me that when i adjust the RBZ Driver to -1.5 (Lower) it closes the club face which I would think would may help my slice...or am I off here and changing it to +1.5 would close the face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • I know  for myself as a golf fan I want to be able to watch golf and have it entertain me.  There's really only three tournaments anymore I pay attention to Masters British and US Open.  The last couple years the US has been a dud but I keep watching hoping it will once again become the ultimate test. I want to see the best quality golf.  I think that's where this whole discussion of distance comes in.  Nicklaus Snead et all for the most part could swing much faster than they did.  Sometimes they would bash one but not usually.  Hogan did some long drive stuff at times early on and he was puttin the wood to it espescially for his height.  In order to score best these guys played a golf swing that was not maxed out because the ball spun so much that slight misfits were truly bad you had to manage the strike just right at high speed to keep spin down and get the launch right or it would be an embarrassing balloon ballflight.   They were playing the game of skill not the game of maximum speed alone.  Very self disciplined approach.  It kinda makes me mad when I hear younger folks say "part of the reason for the distance now is that players understand launch conditions better" Really?  To me it's preposterous to try to assert that modern players only in the last few years learned launch conditions.  It's also arrogant and incorrect.  Like gear effect also.  Heel low cuts and toe draws were shots people practiced with balata back to Jackie Burke! THE BALATA PLAYERS WERE MASTERS OF SPIN COMPARED TO THE GUYS NOW!  TO SAY THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING IS ABSOLUTELY VERY VERY INSULTING TO THEM AND ANYONE WHO IS CONNECTED WITH THEM!   They were masters because the higher spinning ball gave them much better feedback while developing their swings.  You have to know how to create certain launch conditions to get that balata out there like Norman or Nicklaus or whoever.  Maybe they did not know their numbers on Doppler but they ALL knew who could do it and who couldn't and more I,portent how THEY did it.  Now they are all bashing it because there's no reason not to.  The ball  doesn't spin as much and the clubs are forgiving.  The courses are setup so that being in the 'rough' is better than the fairway. You get brain dead robots like DJ out there hitting miles.  Where's the variation and challenge?  Where are the courses made to challenge the modern technology?  It's not good for the tour to make the game into a distance contest.  They are marketing the thing poorly and results have been showing and will show the next few years as more and more courses close. Golf with a higher spinning ball would be so cool to even watch on tv with shot tracer.  That's what golfers used to aspire to the low launch and correct shape.  They might not hit as far as pros but the shaping that's what's been totally lost today. I think with a game focused on power and distance over self control and skill you get a bore.  With most tour stops it's like watching a Ferrari F1 car racing a guy in a Prius.  (The Prius being the course.) A golfer with the skill of Corey Pavin simply couldn't make it today and that's sad.  Guy was a great competitor striker of the ball.  He was shaping fw wood shots into greens.  You don't see that stuff anymore and really the younger crowd doesn't know what they don't know.   To me the whole game of golf boils down to decisions and self knowledge and control and is made more interesting the more difficult the course gets.   With the modern week to week game with older courses and modern clubs it's basically a free minus six or more every week due to par fives alone for a good touring pro. This is a long rant to forgive me.  I just wish golf were more entertaining now.  It's largely not.  I'd like to see the pros have to face the challenge of a higher spinning ball and takeaway Some for and max volume on drivers and fw clubs.  The reason for this is I want to see what kind of level mankind can reach in this game.  I want to see the best quality.  IMO the way the game is goin is wrong for that.  It's a putting contest now.  They all bash it they all hit greens it's just who gets a hot putter. I wanna make it more challenging and truly separate the wheat from the chaff.  To me that would be more interesting. Or we can just leave things as they are and really never know what a great golfer is truly capable of because the game now really doesn't require that skill anymore.  Heck just carry a driver some short irons and wedges and a putter.   Sorry for the rant but many of us get angry when it's said that modern players have been taught new things by trackman.  Sorry guys,  equal some Nicklaus or Hogan or Knudson et all scores with balata then you can talk.  That's real feedback hit ball watch ball.  Ball no do what you want do something else! Happy Holidays!      
    • One thing I like about our semi-private course is that everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Our seniors group is fun to play with, although they sometimes forget that I'm one of the unretired! and have to go to work most days. The course is a Nicklaus design with lots of challenging holes. The drawback is that the developer envisioned Winged Foot Way Out West, sporting a private-equity membership with everyone living in $400,000 homes. Thus, he contracted for an extremely difficult course with lots of bunkers. Legend has it that Nicklaus cautioned the developer against going overboard on the difficulty of holes, and the complexity of the bunkering (as in high maintenance costs). Well, much less $$ showed up than was forecast, and the developer was forced to sell. Fast forward, the greens crew has had a rough job in recent years trying to keep the bunkers in repair. A few pits have been removed as they settled out oddly, or ended up permanently flooded.  But, those remaining really keep the greens crew busy. We just don't have a Winged Foot maintenance budget. One other drawback: the driving range is at the top of a sloping hill, so it's a bit had to determine your true club carries because you're hitting down hill. Overall, I really like the course, the crew and the members.
    • Welcome back then!    This thread has helped me twice get my head back on straight when returning to golf from a stoppage.  I hope it works wonders for you too. By the way, I'm not even convinced that your shot from the bunker was a bad one.  The issue at our level isn't "would a shot with this result make SportsCenter if I were in a pro event?" but rather "did I raise or lower my expected strokes remaining from this spot?" So, if you were short sided in the bunker and holed out, hey, great shot.  But if you were short sided and blasted out to the green and two-putted, there's a pretty decent chances you saved yourself some strokes right there with the bunker shot -- because it's probably an expected value over 3 for an average someone of your skill level to get down from there.
    • Is there an option for irregular?  I still haven't gotten to the point where I can look at a bunker lie and figure out with good regularity if there's sand underneath the ball.  When there is, but there isn't too much (so I guess I don't like "too soft"?) under it, I hit decently good sand shots.  Not "I'm always going to make the save" shots, but enough that I'm confident I'll hit it to within a likely two putt -- something I'm just fine with.
    • I have G400 irons and paid under $700 for six of them (5-P).  I am debating going to go back in a few days and get the UW as well, and I don't expect that to cost much more than $125.  Where are you that MAP is this much?  I bought mine at Roger Dunn and you can bet they follow Ping's rules to the letter.
  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. DeadMan
      DeadMan
      (31 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon

×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.