IGNORED

Back yard putting green - design input wanted

VMAN
Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Read the entire thread and contacted a pro for an estimate for converting my small back yard into artificial putting green.  A water pipe in my back yard lawn broke.   The offending pipe is underneath a concrete porch area.   I.e, to fix the leak, I have to destroy a perfectly good porch.   CA is in drought and it will likely to be there for the future.   These gave me a perfect excuse to convert the lawns into artificial putting green.

I will be asking to incorporate 1% - 4% slope to practice my Aimpoint thingy.

@isukgolf - did you figure out how to post a picture since your post in this thread last year?   12 months is a long time :-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Read the entire thread and contacted a pro for an estimate for converting my small back yard into artificial putting green.  A water pipe in my back yard lawn broke.   The offending pipe is underneath a concrete porch area.   I.e, to fix the leak, I have to destroy a perfectly good porch.   CA is in drought and it will likely to be there for the future.   These gave me a perfect excuse to convert the lawns into artificial putting green.

Rick,

Sounds like a great idea.

When my daughter, Kelly, was on the high school golf team (1999-2003), we put a putting green in our back yard.  To install it was a labor of love. She and I, together, dug out the area, installed a drain, laid a limestone base, sculpted the layout so that there were a few subtle breaks, and then installed the artificial turf. (24' X 12') The total cost was around $400-500.

After retiring, I saw that the green needed a little renovation, so in 2013 I put together a new design with a concrete block border and a little hearth leading to my utility shed. Once I got the border laid (24' X 12'), I installed the turf using landscaping pins, and a layer of fine sand. Total cost around $400.

Best wishes on your new project.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Rick,

Sounds like a great idea.

When my daughter, Kelly, was on the high school golf team (1999-2003), we put a putting green in our back yard.  To install it was a labor of love. She and I, together, dug out the area, installed a drain, laid a limestone base, sculpted the layout so that there were a few subtle breaks, and then installed the artificial turf. (24' X 12') The total cost was around $400-500.

After retiring, I saw that the green needed a little renovation, so in 2013 I put together a new design with a concrete block border and a little hearth leading to my utility shed. Once I got the border laid (24' X 12'), I installed the turf using landscaping pins, and a layer of fine sand. Total cost around $400.

Best wishes on your new project.

That must have been fun.

I'd like to build it myself but it won't certainly meet my wife's expectation.  My workmanship isn't good on these things.   I will have to steal some money from my child's retirement fund to get it done professionally.   Given the square footage x $17/square feet (up to $23 depending on design option), it can cost me around $6000 or so.   It's good to still have a job.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

@isukgolf - did you figure out how to post a picture since your post in this thread last year?   12 months is a long time :-) .

I think so ... here it is: It is hard to tell, but the hole in the back is on a small tier

• Upvote 2

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am about to sign a deal to convert my back yard lawns into artificial putting greens.  I've cashed in some company stock options and my retirement have to wait just a bit longer.

Above is what I am asking my contractor to do for my 2 small backyard areas (10 x 26 rectangle, and 160 square feet of a pentagon shape area).   I am thinking to have 3% & 4% slope for the rectangle one, and 1% & 2% for the smaller (or should it be the other way around?).   I'd like to have those to "feel" the slopes so that I can do the same in field.   Since both areas are small (or narrow), I don't expect the design to cover too many different putting scenarios.  A bit of chipping area at one end of the rectangle area is being designed in.

More design ideas are much appreciated before my contractor starts the project sometime in August.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

A bit of chipping area at one end of the rectangle area is being designed in.

More design ideas are much appreciated before my contractor starts the project sometime in August.

Rick,

Sounds like a lot of time and effort have gone into this design. The only design thing I can think of would be to have a heavy duty hitting net installed on one end of the back yard. This way you could have your full shots to go with the chipping and putting.

And then, you could go ahead and have a few outdoor spotlights installed for night golf.

I love this game. :-P

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

Sounds like a lot of time and effort have gone into this design. The only design thing I can think of would be to have a heavy duty hitting net installed on one end of the back yard. This way you could have your full shots to go with the chipping and putting.

And then, you could go ahead and have a few outdoor spotlights installed for night golf.

I love this game.

I am only doing this for the love of California farmers in the time of prolonged drought.  Just doing my civic duty of saving water in times of water shortage. :whistle:

I have my requirements (chipping area, 1%-4% slopes, 3 - 4 cups, 10 - 11 on stimpmeter, ...) but the design has not been nailed down.

You have not seen my back yard and the neighbors.  The houses are built like match boxes sitting next to each other.   The sound of my swing, ball hitting net, and moans and groans after each swing will not be appreciated by my neighbors.   However, I am seriously thinking about putting a tent & light fixtures over the greens to practice at night.   If I do it, it will be purely doing it to increase the resale value of my house. :whistle:

I know you installed your own putting green.   That must have been a lot of work.   I did remove a small tree (root and all) in the middle of a lawn by myself (actually, my wife helped).   It took two days, and killed any notion of DIY'ng the putting greens.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I know you installed your own putting green.   That must have been a lot of work.   I did remove a small tree (root and all) in the middle of a lawn by myself (actually, my wife helped).   It took two days, and killed any notion of DIY'ng the putting greens.

Now that you gave me the setup of your neighbors, I understand why the net would not be possible. I have a wooded area right behind the house and set up a hitting net toward the woods. After a year of hitting balls into the net and the weathering process, I would occasionally hit a shot that went through the net and ricochet off of several trees. :doh:

It was a lot of work installing the green. The process included: level and degrass the area, install a drainage system, put down a crushed limestone base, tamp down the area to include the desired slope, install the cups into the limestone in the desired locations, spray the area to kill any remaining grass, put a weed barrier directly under the synthetic surface, install the green with landscaping pins as anchors, brush play sand directly onto the green to adjust the speed of the green and help the anchoring process, and finally, cut the carpeting where the cups were located.

That was putting green 1.0.  After 12 years of weathering it was then time for version 2.0. This process included: a new design, taking up and bundling the old carpeting, relandscaping the area (drains, limestone, new cups), installing the border around the green with landscaping stones in the new design (see photo in original post), and then finish the process as before (spray, weed barrier, anchor the synthetic surface and brush sand). Note that in the photo, I did not have the holes cut yet, but that is the final step.

I know what you mean by tree roots, because I had several. My wife, who in those days wasn't yet golfing, did not help, but my golfing daughter did. Since she was on the high school varsity golf team, I thought that doing the process as a team would be a good learning experience. I did about 85% of the work, and she supervised 100% of the time. :surrender: (BTW, I did 100% of the work the second time even though my wife did start golfing.)

One final note:  Because the green is located in a wooded area, in the spring I have to power wash the synthetic surface and spray the area with a mild chemical solution to prevent moss and algae growth.

• 2 weeks later...
Ta da.

Very nice! Congrats!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• Administrator

Ta da.

Please don't upload them as attachments - please embed them as images.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Backyard green, 10 x 26, 3 holes, chipping area on one side, 1% & 2% slopes

Backyard green #2, about 220 square feet of odd shape, 1 hole surrounded by 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% slopes

Rick,

Very nice.

Were you happy with the company that installed the greens?

How does your wife like the greens?

They came out great, hope you enjoy them as much as I have mine.  Installing a putting green in my yard has really improved my putting performance.  I still want to take Aimpoint but just being able to practice an hour a day has really helped my green reading and putting stroke.

Joe Paradiso

Were you happy with the company that installed the greens?

How does your wife like the greens?

Yes, I was happy with the company.  They were quick to respond, and made sure my input was well followed.  My wife loves them and even practiced putting a few times.

I need to figure out what to do with light fixture to practice at night when days get shorter.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yes, I was happy with the company.  They were quick to respond, and made sure my input was well followed.  My wife loves them and even practiced putting a few times.

I need to figure out what to do with light fixture to practice at night when days get shorter.

I had lighting installed on the side of the house from above and that doesn't work well because of shadows.  I then installed ground lights and that has worked out much better.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!