IGNORED

Back yard putting green - design input wanted

VMAN
Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to figure out what to do with light fixture to practice at night when days get shorter.

I have to figure this out as well.  The contractor that did our yard didn't do the putting green, which is over on the side yard and similar to your 10x26 green.  The electrical timer for the rear yard lights is right there as well, and they added a conduit that pops out on the opposite side of the green, so it will be easy to have somebody install some lights once I get around to figuring out exactly what I want.

I just scrolled back and realized that I posted a sketch of my green but never a finished product photo.  Mine is about 6x20 with the holes being around 16' apart....

I had lighting installed on the side of the house from above and that doesn't work well because of shadows.  I then installed ground lights and that has worked out much better.

Both ways are better than what I do ... which is to take the desk lamp from the desk inside that narrow window in the first picture and aim it straight out the window. :-P

You can see the electrical conduits beneath the sprinkler timer in the second picture.  One runs to the lights at the rear and one is empty, but runs beneath the green to a spot about an inch of the bottom left corner of the second picture.

We were at a resort in Palm Springs recently that had a little mini golf course, and they had lights that were about 42-48" raised off the ground.  Those worked pretty well too.

@newtogolf ... do you have a photo of your green with the lights installed?

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@newtogolf ... do you have a photo of your green with the lights installed?

Me, too.  I'd like to see how the ground light is installed.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Me, too.  I'd like to see how the ground light is installed.

These are the lights I installed.  How many you need is based on the size of your green and the angles.  I used 2 of them.

http://www.focusindustries.com/product/pgl-04

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

These are the lights I installed.  How many you need is based on the size of your green and the angles.  I used 2 of them.

LOL ... those are (I think) EXACTLY the lights I was referring to that the resort in Palm Springs had.  Are they about 36-42" high or so??

I'm going to try and find a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

LOL ... those are (I think) EXACTLY the lights I was referring to that the resort in Palm Springs had.  Are they about 36-42" high or so??

I'm going to try and find a picture.

Comes with putter, and ball holders!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Comes with putter, and ball holders!

I didn't see the little clips on the ones I'm talking about but I did see the rectangle cups, yet couldn't figure out their purpose. :-P

It's not a great pic, but  ...

I can't find the price, or a way to order them, on their webpage.

An update on chipping area for my artificial putting greens:

The artificial chipping green has its grain going against target.   This makes it feels like chipping from heavy rough - I have to strike down on it.  In grain direction, wedge slides easily through.  Luckily, the contractors left a large piece (large doormat size) of chipping green that I can move around.  I can place it in any grain direction and practice different types of chipping.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

An update on chipping area for my artificial putting greens:The artificial chipping green has its grain going against target.   This makes it feels like chipping from heavy rough - I have to strike down on it.  In grain direction, wedge slides easily through.  Luckily, the contractors left a large piece (large doormat size) of chipping green that I can move around.  I can place it in any grain direction and practice different types of chipping.

I can't wait until you have the sand trap installed. :-P

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

An update on chipping area for my artificial putting greens:The artificial chipping green has its grain going against target.   This makes it feels like chipping from heavy rough - I have to strike down on it.  In grain direction, wedge slides easily through.  Luckily, the contractors left a large piece (large doormat size) of chipping green that I can move around.  I can place it in any grain direction and practice different types of chipping.

I can't wait until you have the sand trap installed.

You may have to wait a long time.   I now can practice everything at home except getting balls out of sand.  It's time to move my home course to one without sand traps.  Or, I buy an inflatable kiddie plastic pool ($12.99 at Walmart), put some sand, .... :-) .   The only issue will be my shot out of bunker can leap tall fences and buildings into another neighbor's bathroom window.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an portable outdoor work lamp from Home Depot for $60.  Can turn on up to 4 bulbs (300 watts each up to 1200 watts of light).  Works nicely although I have to string a power cord around.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!