IGNORED

can't chip the ball to save my life

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdangles View Post

Take all these into consideration. The nice thing about chipping is you can do it in your front yard, back yard, or a park nearby. I personally feel that chipping doesnt take any power so I swing kind of like a putter. As little body movement as possible and only use your shoulders. Keep a stiff left arm, and dont be afraid to hit the ball. especially with a 56. hit it right and youll get mostly loft. chipping is really a feel thing as far as power goes. I also like the ball towards my front foot and i keep my weight on the left foot but it all depends on lie. take a few practice swings just to get your desired power down and stay down through the ball and accelerate through.

I've tried this, but the thing is with a lower lofted club such as a 7 or 8 you have to hit the ball so lightly - takes so much more feel to hit that shot (I always overshoot the hole).   I chip with my 50° gap wedge most of the time - you can take a firmer swing & also, don't have to read the green all the way in, only from your landing spot in, which is much closer to the pin.     I guess there are advantages both ways, but for me, I don't have the touch necessary for the longer clubs around the green.

Agree with this. I normally chip with the P wedge that came with my set. I find I can keepnit low and make solid contact. My biggest issue is decelerating - always leads to a bad results. I find chipping around the green with the sand or lob wedge to be much more difficult.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

One thing that I started doing a while back that really helped me was not focusing on the hole, but a spot where I wanted to ball to land. When I first started, I always looked at the hole as my target before chipping. Now I will pick a spot on the green, and try to chip to there. It has really helped me get the ball closer, instead of speeding past.

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!