IGNORED

Bubba's Secret is no lessons?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Rudyprimo

If a coach had personally worked with him, they would have changed his swing right away.

I disagree. A bad coach would have.

I'm not sure I get the point of this discussion. A guy who is largely (51 to 99%) self taught won a major. And... what, exactly?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My impression is that too many here focus on the physical skills of golf. I have seen many youngsters at the course with dad providing lots of attention and direction, the golf teacher 2x per week, during the summer lots of practice and play and yet such kids never get anywhere near the game needed to progress beyond 'club junior champ'.  I think one of the most important reason one person can continue to progress, in any sport or competitive endeavourer, is the innate desire to compete against self/others. Some kids do not like to elevate themselves at the expense of others, which is what competition is all about. If i win, you must lose.  And if i win all eyes will be on me.  Not everyone wants that.  Here is what Bubba says  " "I just wanted to beat people, that's all I cared about. ". If you have that attitude towards life and your place in life, then the physical skills of golf become secondary. IMO.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Where is all this ruffling of feathers? I'm an instructor and if someone wants to try to swing like Bubba go for it and godspeed to them because they ain't pullin' it off. Doesn't much matter to me either way - Bubba's an exception who has missed over a third of the cuts in his career in spite o playing in WGCs which don't have cuts.

Wanna swing like Bubba? Make sure nobody's around to laugh at you and have at it!:-\:-\

Are you a golf coach? if you are then that tirade above would have to be the most damning indictment of bad coaching.....ever!. "they aint pullin it off"......that's incredible negativity....to the point of willful indifference. I'd wan't my coach to be positive no matter what my swing looked like. "bubba's missed over a third of the cuts".....blah blah blah. There it is again, Watson's got an unusual swing that he's made work. That's it. Somehow there's a feeling from you and others that he's illigitimate, flukey,lucky. Somehow because he's missed some cuts then he's an impostor. I wasn't aware that the aim of pro golf was consistency I always thought it was to win the tournament.  "Make sure no ones around to laugh at you and have at it".....that's probably the worst thing . To think that you would laugh at someone else's golf swing is...well ..horrible. I'm just thinking of the scenario of rolling up to your golf school handing over my cash and after 2 swings your laughing at my golf swing. Some coach!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Stupid comment but you defended Patrick so I guess we should expect this kind of babble from you. How many Bubbas are there? They ain't pullin it off, and watching them try to swing like Bubba would probably be worth laughing at-put words in people's mouths much? Now I laugh at all of my students swings? Gimme a break. Incredible negativity to the point of willful indifference? Do yerself a favor and find a dictionary. He's missed cuts because his swing is not consistent even Phil Mickelson has missed half as many cuts percentage wise as Bubba and a good instructor could help him raise the overall level of his play. He has good weeks but he has some really bad weeks too when his timing is off. Golf coaches are not threatened by Bubba Watson. If anything I'll get more business because people will try to swing like Bubba fail miserably and want to know why. [quote name="logman" url="/t/57337/bubbas-secret-is-no-lessons/18#post_703382"]

Are you a golf coach? if you are then that tirade above would have to be the most damning indictment of bad coaching.....ever!. "they aint pullin it off"......that's incredible negativity....to the point of willful indifference. I'd wan't my coach to be positive no matter what my swing looked like. "bubba's missed over a third of the cuts".....blah blah blah. There it is again, Watson's got an unusual swing that he's made work. That's it. Somehow there's a feeling from you and others that he's illigitimate, flukey,lucky. Somehow because he's missed some cuts then he's an impostor. I wasn't aware that the aim of pro golf was consistency I always thought it was to win the tournament.  "Make sure no ones around to laugh at you and have at it".....that's probably the worst thing . To think that you would laugh at someone else's golf swing is...well ..horrible. I'm just thinking of the scenario of rolling up to your golf school handing over my cash and after 2 swings your laughing at my golf swing. Some coach!

[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Stupid comment but you defended Patrick so I guess we should expect this kind of babble from you.

If anything I'll get more business because people will try to swing like Bubba fail miserably and want to know why.

Based on your insulting comments, it's a wonder you have any students at all.

More than I can handle thank you. [quote name="Harmonious" url="/t/57337/bubbas-secret-is-no-lessons/18#post_703394"] Based on your insulting comments, it's a wonder you have any students at all. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I thought Bubba's secret was that his irons were custom fit just for him?

I agree that some junior golfers can be over coached, finding the perfect swing won't create perfect shots.  It's a fine line, with my son I wanted to build a motion so that they can go out and succeed.  Now I try very hard to avoid any talk about the swing and focus more on short game or management.  I grew up with Zack Miller, he's a few years younger but I practiced just as much as he did, played as much and had similar instruction.  But for some reason he's playing today in Texas and I'm talking to you guys, he's just that much more talented and flat out better.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

But for some reason he's playing today in Texas and I'm talking to you guys, he's just that much more talented and flat out better.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with talking to us guys!!

If it makes you feel better, I'd rather take a lesson from you than....what was that guy's name again?!

• Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Note: This thread is 4380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!