IGNORED

Disadvantage of too stiff a flex?

Note: This thread is 2987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To oversimplify a bit( and assuming you plan to keep these clubs awhile): If you are young and strong go with the S300 or something similar. Develop your swing, with a couple of lessons if possible, stick to the fundamentals and don't swing harder to try to overpower the shaft. As your swing develops and you get stronger and smoother, you will stay with the S300 a while. If you are over 55 give or take, I would certainly consider going with the R300 since unless you maintain your fitness and flexibility, you might be fighting the S300 in a couple of years. I am 58 and something like the S300 still works for me, but I still have pretty good flexibility and have always had a longish swing. I have a set of clubs with the old Dynamic regular, and they are not too bad, but still the S is a bit better. A couple more birthdays might change that, though.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 67 with a swing speed between 85 - 90 mph and they recommended regular flex clubs for me, but after using them without satisfactory results I then gave the stiff flex clubs a try and they produced much better results for me in accuracy, feel and distance. Now my bag has only stiff flex clubs.

Swing speed is not the only determinant of shaft stiffness.  The type of swing, kick point etc all change the type of shaft you need. 

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I was between stiff and x-stiff for two of the recommended shafts when I was fit to my irons.  They simply noted that they could 'half step' the shafts to fit more precisely.  It's been awhile, but I think it means to cut the longer shaft down to the next iron shaft length and this is a half step stiffer as a result (or something like that).

I didn't take either of those shafts, we went with a third that seemed to match up better 'as-is'.  But the half stepping sounded fine.

Get thee to a good fitter, they'll know what to do.

Edit:  I wrote that wrong.  The terms they used were "soft step" the X-stiff, and "hard step" the stiff

KBS X - 130g - soft step.  NS Pro 1150 S  116g - hard step

Bill - 

30 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Swing speed is not the only determinant of shaft stiffness.  The type of swing, kick point etc all change the type of shaft you need. 

Outcome and shot comparrison results helped me make the decision whether to go with regular or stiff

What a lot of people are missing here is that the only true way to tell what will happen is with a fitting. I know for me, my driver swing speed(126) says I should be using X-Stiff but in reality I'm using a stiff shaft because the X-stuff causes me to lose shots to the right way too often. I know some high school golfers that swing fast and have the best results with regular flexes. There really isn't a way to tell except for stating the average of what will happen. 

I have only 100 mph swing speed and always played stiff with various results.   recently I purchased from a friend a cobra fly z driver with a grafalloy blue x flex and I am killing it. Great launch angle low spin.  It replaced a r1 with an oban kiyoshi gold stiff that I  hit well except for the occasional hook when I went after one.  So I don't think swing speed is the only indicator for shaft flex. 

I've often thought about going with an X flex driver shaft.  I may get an adapter from My Titleist 910 and experiment.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 weeks later...

Stiff versus regular is something I've struggled with.   My swing speed has not been checked in at least six years.  My driver swing speed was 96-97 mph, which is between R and S, but probably closer to an R.  However, I found I could not find a regular shafted driver that I liked.   I've settled on ball flight to make my decisions regarding set makeup, so I have a somewhat inconsistent set.  I realize I'm just a mid-'cap, but here's my experience.    

My driver has a Project X Velocity 6.0 (stiff?).  I like this because my "safety" drive is a fade.  I simply choke down, reduce the reverse "k" and I get a slight left-to-right.  Otherwise it flies pretty straight on decent swings.  My mistake move is "shoulders first" which normally results in a wicked pull-hook.  I feel this bad swing contributes to at least 4-5 handicap points.  I could probably score better if I hit choke-down fades all day, but ego won't allow that.       

My 4 wood is listed as stiff (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65), but to me feels more flexible.  The typical ball flight is a high soft draw.  It does not fade well.   I'm confident with it, so it is the go-to fairway wood.  Only time I hesitate to pull it is if the ball is above my feet.  If that's the lie, I go to the 3 hybrid. 

My 3 hybrid is a stiff (Mitsubishi Fubuki).  Ball flight is neutral to a very slight fade.  I like that I can turn it over and get 10 extra yards, but it does not get away from me. 

My 4 hybrid is a regular (also Fubuki).  I hit a high, soft draw with this club.  BTW, the 3 and 4 hybrid are the same brand, model, just with different flex shafts.  

I recently switched to irons that have DG R300.  I love them.  My tempo smoothed out.  Subconsciously, I may have been rushing down from the top to compensate for the stiff feeling of the old irons (S300).  So the slightly softer shaft has actually improved accuracy.  I know lots of folks get better dispersion with a stiffer shaft, but my results have been better with the regular.  I was just hoping to get back some distance lost, but I'm getting better accuracy, too!

Based on my new found experience with the irons (better tempo), I'm wondering if the stiff-shafted driver has something to do with my mistake move (rushing from the top).  I just find it really difficult to hit a fade with a regular shafted driver, and if the nerves are going, I want to hit a fade.  It's comfortable to me.

I recently purchased a new closeout Adams Super LS XTD 3 wood with the Kuro Kage stiff for $50.  I don't often get a chance to go for par 5s in two, but I thought I could put it in the bag in the summer when fairways are hard.  So far, I'm finding this particular S shaft too much for me.  The ball flight is very low and left-to-right.  A $50 experiment.  I'll probably see if a player on one of the local HS teams needs a new 3 wood.  

Too stiff a shaft can mess with tempo and ball flight. That's my two-cents.  Anybody have a similar experience?

Note: This thread is 2987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!