IGNORED

What Are Your Thoughts on Tour Yellow Golf Balls?

Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 members have voted

1. 1. Tour Yellow Golf Balls?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking of picking up a dozen of the Srixon balls to see if I liked them.  I would imagine they are easier to follow in the air and find in the rough.  I suppose they look a bit hackish, but who cares if you hit them well, right?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

my playing partner on saturday was using these,....hard as hell to find anywhere other than the fairway,.....you'd think the bright yellowness would as you say make it easier to find,..but we didnt think it did

he switched to the srixon ad333 orange ones and found they were harder to spot in the air, but easier to spot on the fairway, in the rough, and the water haha,.....although he did mention it was hard lining up his putts,

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I concentrate on keeping my head down, so by the time I lift my head, I often lose white balls in flight, especially if there's clouds in the sky.     I usually play alone after work, so I'm the only set of eye's looking for my ball - which is why I've been playing orange balls lately - really like being able to see them in flight & find them in the rough.    I don't give a rip what traditionalists may think of colored balls - they work for me & apparently alot of other people who are buying them, as just about every major manufacturer is making a yellow ball now.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to give them a go.  I thought they were cool when I was a kid.  Stopped using them because they were all so low quality, but now it looks like you can get a decent ball in yellow.

I personally dont find them any easier to spot or find than white balls.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I bring them out when the sky is fully overcast.  I can't see the white ball at all on those days and I hate waiting for the flash of white falling past the tree background to hopefully locate my ball.  I haven't noticed coloured balls (the yellow Z-Stars at least) being any easier or tougher to find in the rough.

Brad

I don't know that they're easier to find in the rough, but I like knowing which ball is mine as i walk up to the fairway or green and two balls are in the same area.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Personally, Im playing the orange Bridgestones right now and I find them the easiest to spot.  Nothing against yellow balls, Ive played them in the past and would have no issues with playing them again, I just dont buy into the claims that they are easier to spot.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I love them.  I see the biggest difference in the winter time when the grass is dormant and a much lighter color, but even when the grass is dark green the new "tour yellow" really jumps out at you.  There is a big difference between the colors they use today versus the yellow and orange from years past.  Today's yellow is a fluorescent color and that is what I believe really makes these balls stand out from their traditional white counter parts.  They practically glow.  This past winter I played almost seven rounds with the same Srixon Z-Star XV before I finally lost it.  The durability on these balls also seems to me to be improved over the same ball in traditional white.  I don't know why that is?  I can't say how the color effects spin, something I would expect to see suffer due to the ball's improved durability, but the Z-Star XV Tour Yellow spins really well (not as much though as a Pro-V1).  I recently found a Q-Star in Tour Yellow and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the ball seemed to perform almost as well as Srixon's more expensive offering.  It was a limited comparison so I'll probably buy some of the Q-Stars in the future to see more thoroughly.

• Upvote 1

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

There's just something morally wrong with non-white golf balls.

In all seriousness, I was given a sleeve of the yellow Srixon's last year and had a terrible time seeing them in the grass.  Haven't tried any other colors.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

One of the guys we play with on the weekends started to game the yellow Srixon just recently.  He seems to like them.

Kind of a funny story... He said he went to the yellow ball because we always bitched at him for not marking his ProV's.  And he was tired of us giving him a hard time when an instance pops up where he is looking for a lost ball - finds a ProV - and then we all complain and razz him with 'How are we to really know if the ball you just found was your ProV and not someone else?'

For whatever reason, he refuses to pull out a sharpie and mark up his golf ball - so now he seems to think that by playing a yellow ball - it will more likely be his rather than someone else. Hhahahaha  We really don't care, but just love to bust this dudes chops.

Gotta love this game! :D

Originally Posted by bradsul

I bring them out when the sky is fully overcast.  I can't see the white ball at all on those days and I hate waiting for the flash of white falling past the tree background to hopefully locate my ball.  I haven't noticed coloured balls (the yellow Z-Stars at least) being any easier or tougher to find in the rough.

I totally agree the z stars feel better than pro v1s personally i love them. Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

LOVE playing yellow balls.

Finding in rough may or may not be easier but...

1. When approaching several balls in the same area, I always know which one is mine.

2. When approaching the green I know which ball is mine and if I am on the green or just off.

3. On the off chance that I hit onto another fairway, I can spot my ball from afar and know which is mine vs the other group.

I love this.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I have been playing them and find them much easier to watch flying through the air. I can imagine when leaves hit the ground that they would be a bit tougher to find.

Since I am the only one playing them (90% of the people at the club play Titleist), I figured that I would no longer have to mark my ball and keep those damn sharpie marks off of my driver.

I would prefer that others stayed away from playing them so I can continue not to mark mine.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

There's just something morally wrong with non-white golf balls.

Gotta agree.

Billiard cloth should be green, tennis balls are yellow, and golf balls are white.

You just shouldn't mess with the natural order of some things......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Gotta agree.

Billiard cloth should be green, tennis balls are yellow, and golf balls are white.

You just shouldn't mess with the natural order of some things......

But tennis balls used to be white, before the superior yellow color took hold.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

But tennis balls used to be white, before the superior yellow color took hold.

True, but tennis players are notoriously fickle and generally should not to be trusted.  It should come as no surprise that it took them a couple of tries to get the color of their ball right.  We on the other hand got it right the first time!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not really my thing but I have nothing against them especially now since they have upgraded the quality. To each their own.

As far as tennis balls are concerned I had thought I read somewhere that it was a television thing. But then again I am no great tennis mind either.

Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!