IGNORED

How much does cold air actually affect your distance?

Dialit
Note:Β This thread is 3443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Its about 2.5 yards per 10 degrees of temperature change. So really its not that much, if your nomral distances are based on 70 degrees, then at 40 your looking at 7.5 yards, which is just over half a club length more..

Half a club sounds about right to me. I don't notice enough difference to change clubs from what I usually use (unless of course wind is involved) and I'm lucky to be within a half a club in accuracy anyway.

I do notice that many golfers lose some distance if they have a coat on. My son almost refuses to play with a coat and would rather freeze to death than impact his game with clothes.

I don't notice any difference in my distances with a coat,Β and for some reason often hit the ball straighter, so I don't mind wearing a coat at all and often leave it on after the day has warmed up enough to take it off.

Half a club sounds about right to me. I don't notice enough difference to change clubs from what I usually use (unless of course wind is involved) and I'm lucky to be within a half a club in accuracy anyway.

I do notice that many golfers lose some distance if they have a coat on. My son almost refuses to play with a coat and would rather freeze to death than impact his game with clothes.

I don't notice any difference in my distances with a coat,Β and for some reason often hit the ball straighter, so I don't mind wearing a coat at all and often leave it on after the day has warmed up enough to take it off.

I pretty much don't play if I have to wear more than my Under Armor + a thin jacket.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in Northern VA and we get crazy temperature swings. As fall arrives I notice a solid 1 club difference in almost all my shots. I think temps, wind, and as many of you have mentioned clothing all play a huge factor in that. Def frustrating hitting 6 iron 145 into the wind in Nov :) This issue is VERY near and dear to my heart! I started a company with 3 friends to solve this problem, and if you got some free time check out our website and let me know what you think! Got a few tour caddies testing it out, and with our USGA approval we should have it on a few pros soon. All feedback is welcome! And @ms256 now you're son won't freeze :) www.qoreperformance.com

Adams XTD Driver Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood Adams Pro One Hybrid Ping S55 4-PW KBS Tour Titelist Vokey 52, 56, 60 Odyssey Versa #7 I play The Wheel weekly, and live and die for 2 down auto's

I noticed that I need to club up on my approaches, but unfortunately it hasn't changed the way I play my game because I can have as much as a 50 yards variation from my longest drives and my shortest drives. It's fine as long as I don't need anything longer than my 3i. :-X

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is why I don't enjoy playing in the cold as much. If it requires more than a long-sleeved shirt I know my distance will usually suffer some, but I at least know what to expect when I put on a jacket. My guess would be that a sweatshirt or a windshirt slightly hampers my range of motion, meaning I end up not taking a full backswing on each shot.

It depends on what kind of weather Β you are playing in at 40* F. Is it windy, rainy and are the fairways hard or soft. I play 3-4 times a week year round. In the late fall/winter we usually have temps 35-50* during the day and soft fairways. This usually means 1-2 clubs on irons difference. Off the driver at least 20 yards and even more if you are playing a hole that is uphill. The good thing is the greens are very receptive and you can go for the pin if you judge how far you can hit a club in this type of weather. One more caveat dress warm with lite weight clothing. If you are all bundled up with sweaters etc you will not be able to swing anywhere near you normal swing.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that the ball itself gets cold will greatly cut down on your yardage. During the winter you will see balls cracking and splitting on occasion. Although technically "illegal", you can use hand warmers or other devices to keep a couple of golf balls warm during the round. I remember years ago that the Jon-e hand warmer company offered a care that kept two golf balls warm while you played - you would alternate these as needed. Of course, you can do this today with simple, disposable, air-activated hand warmer pads. Other factors come into play as well - soft ground will limit your roll until the ground hardens up with a few frosty nights - then you'll get plenty of roll to make up for the distance.

Agreed with the cold ball being a significant part of the the distance lost. Β I played today with the temps hovering around 40. Β My bad was in the garage last night so the balls were probably around 60 degrees when we teed off and eventually cooled down to the course temperature. Β They went from being 1/2 club to at least a full club short by the time we made the turn.

Randal

The fact that the ball itself gets cold will greatly cut down on your yardage. During the winter you will see balls cracking and splitting on occasion. Although technically "illegal", you can use hand warmers or other devices to keep a couple of golf balls warm during the round. I remember years ago that the Jon-e hand warmer company offered a care that kept two golf balls warm while you played - you would alternate these as needed. Of course, you can do this today with simple, disposable, air-activated hand warmer pads. Other factors come into play as well - soft ground will limit your roll until the ground hardens up with a few frosty nights - then you'll get plenty of roll to make up for the distance.

How is that illegal? Ben Hogan used a kerosene handwarmer in each pocket during his British Open win.

Kevin

How is that illegal? Ben Hogan used a kerosene handwarmer in each pocket during his British Open win.

Did he use to warm his golf ball or just his hands? Β IIRC, I believe he used it to warm his hands only.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Did he use to warm his golf ball or just his hands? Β IIRC, I believe he used it to warm his hands only.

No, I remembered correctly: "These hand-warmers, incidentally, also served to keep the golf balls in my pocket nice and warm. A warm ball, you know, flies farther than a cold one."

However, I didn't consider rules updates. It was against the rules as of ~ 1984.

A possible way around this is to warm the balls before a round, take out the warmer, and store them in an insulated container. Having to play the same ball will render the advantage moot after hole or two, I expect.

Kevin

No, I remembered correctly: "These hand-warmers, incidentally, also served to keep the golf balls in my pocket nice and warm. A warm ball, you know, flies farther than a cold one."

However, I didn't consider rules updates. It was against the rules as of ~ 1984.

A possible way around this is to warm the balls before a round, take out the warmer, and store them in an insulated container. Having to play the same ball will render the advantage moot after hole or two, I expect.

I read somewhere that it takes hours for the balls to cool down, and also there is only about a 3 yard advantage on a drive for every 10F of change in temperature.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/5/p/5217/23361.aspx

BTW, it's not against the rules to retain the heat.

"14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed
Q. Is the use of a golf ball that was purposely warmed during a stipulated round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?
A. Yes. Use of a ball that has been purposely warmed during a stipulated round with an artificial device constitutes a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 to use a ball that was artificially warmed prior to the stipulated round. (Revised)"

Last year, I would have said it makes a huge difference, but at this point it doesn't really affect my game that much.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I read somewhere that it takes hours for the balls to cool down, and also there is only about a 3 yard advantage on a drive for every 10F of change in temperature.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/5/p/5217/23361.aspx

BTW, it's not against the rules to retain the heat.

"14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed

Q. Is the use of a golf ball that was purposely warmed during a stipulated round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?

A. Yes. Use of a ball that has been purposely warmed during a stipulated round with an artificial device constitutes a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 to use a ball that was artificially warmed prior to the stipulated round. (Revised)"

Last year, I would have said it makes a huge difference, but at this point it doesn't really affect my game that much.

I had it at even less than 2 yards at 250 yard drive distance for a 10* differential in ball temp vs. ambient air temp. Drag from denser cool air is the more significant temperature effect, but I bet the warm balls feel better to hit especially if you thin one.

Kevin

I had it at even less than 2 yards at 250 yard drive distance. Drag from denser cool air is the more significant temperature effect, but I bet the warm balls feel better to hit especially if you thin one.

Yes, and I do hit thin. Ouch, just thinking about it. I also tend to heel/shank, double ouch.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note:Β This thread is 3443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!