IGNORED

My Swing (PumaAttack)

pumaAttack
Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Pipoe!  I think mine may have been recommended by Stephan as well.

http://www.purepointgolf.com/pipoegolfpro.php

Or, of course, just a soft ball of any kind that is about the size of a #3 soccer ball or maybe a tad smaller?

Thanks!

I found a junior volleyball at my local Ross and deflated it so I can grip it better with my elbows.  

This  move could take a while to get down!

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Working on some new stuff!

First in the backswing: Keep my right elbow in front of me and not let it retract.  Also working on straightening my right leg more during the backswing.

On the downswing:  Getting much more shallow at A5 and turning the hips a lot more.  Much more open at impact.  

The changes are coming along, as in this video, but I have a ways to go with slow practice and mirror work. Really loving the changes so far though!

Tony  

• Administrator
22 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

Working on some new stuff!

First in the backswing: Keep my right elbow in front of me and not let it retract.  Also working on straightening my right leg more during the backswing.

On the downswing:  Getting much more shallow at A5 and turning the hips a lot more.  Much more open at impact.  

The changes are coming along, as in this video, but I have a ways to go with slow practice and mirror work. Really loving the changes so far though!

Looking good! Watch the setup a bit… take out some knee flex. You can get a little bit taller and thus a little closer to the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Looking good! Watch the setup a bit… take out some knee flex. You can get a little bit taller and thus a little closer to the ball.

Thanks!  

Ok, I will watch out for that.  I wonder if my irons are too short and I feel I have to bend down more.  I am 6'4" and use standard off the rack clubs.

Tony  

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Thanks!  

Ok, I will watch out for that.  I wonder if my irons are too short and I feel I have to bend down more.  I am 6'4" and use standard off the rack clubs.

Just get a little closer to the ball.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Follow through October 2015:

image.jpeg

Follow through today:

image.jpeg

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

Think I'm getting the hang of the shallow move from A4.  The turning of the left arm clockwise really helped.   The result wasn't great with this swing but I feel the swing was solid. 

Tony  

13 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

Think I'm getting the hang of the shallow move from A4.  The turning of the left arm clockwise really helped.   The result wasn't great with this swing but I feel the swing was solid. 

The flatten looks better, but your backswing looks off. It looks like you are turning with your arms but not your shoulders. Think of the backswing as a one-piece move with everything turning together as in the video below. Then add the flattening from A4 to 5.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You've made more progress with the flattening than I have! Nice work.

I've noticed more that when I start my downswing, I have a natural tendency to cup my wrists. My instructor has been having me stay flat at the top (and I can usually get that), but then at the start of the downswing, I naturally cup again. 

In case that's something that helps in the flattening piece (I'm pretty sure it does), on the last slow-motion swing in that video, if you watch your left wrist at the top, it goes from flat to cupped fairly quickly just as the flattening starts to happen like mine do. From there, I get pretty steep still and I thought the cupping was preventing me from flattening, but you seem to flatten nicely anyway.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.18.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.18.36 AM.png

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

4 minutes ago, RandallT said:

You've made more progress with the flattening than I have! Nice work.

I've noticed more that when I start my downswing, I have a natural tendency to cup my wrists. My instructor has been having me stay flat at the top (and I can usually get that), but then at the start of the downswing, I naturally cup again. 

In case that's something that helps in the flattening piece (I'm pretty sure it does), on the last slow-motion swing in that video, if you watch your left wrist at the top, it goes from flat to cupped fairly quickly just as the flattening starts to happen like mine do. From there, I get pretty steep still and I thought the cupping was preventing me from flattening, but you seem to flatten nicely anyway.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.18.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.18.36 AM.png

Good catch Randy!

I noticed last night that I turned my left wrist instead of my left arm.  I think if I can keep my wrist flat and just rotate my left arm clockwise I will get the shallow move down.  

I have a much better understanding now and how to work on it!  

Tony  

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

The flatten looks better, but your backswing looks off. It looks like you are turning with your arms but not your shoulders. Think of the backswing as a one-piece move with everything turning together as in the video below. Then add the flattening from A4 to 5.

Oh Man!  

This shallowing move has caused me to lose focus on all parts of my swing.  Good catch and I will be sure to go back to my old backswing.  

I think I can do my old backswing with my left arm rotating.  I couldn't do it with just my wrists.  

Thanks for all the help!!

Tony  

Working on the shallowing move from A4 to A5, but without cupping my wrists.

I feel I am getting close here!

Tony  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

Working on the shallowing move from A4 to A5, but without cupping my wrists.

I feel I am getting close here!

I don't. You're just taking your hands straight up - they gain no depth from 1 to 3 at all. The left arm points at the camera at A3.

Some other things are better, but that part really doesn't look right.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't. You're just taking your hands straight up - they gain no depth from 1 to 3 at all. The left arm points at the camera at A3.

Some other things are better, but that part really doesn't look right.

So what am I doing wrong besides not enough hand depth from A1 to A3?

The shaft is pointing outside the ball at A5 and the clubface is square at A6

Tony  

• 2 weeks later...

I feel this shallowing move is getting pretty close.  Key for me was a solid shoulder turn. 

Tony  

Tough to get shallow on the downswing if you're already shallow on the backswing. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 2.05.26 PM.png

First step would be to allow the arms to gain depth as you turn your body. Put a tee in your left armpit, that will help lessen the amount the arms roll on the backswing. It'll feel like zero rotation of the forearms on the takeaway.

Like this. Compare your club face position at A2 and the orientation of the shaft (hand depth) at A3 to Ko's.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!